TB new line of Coax FR drivers

stellarelephant, in case you missed it - Tang Band have published a suggested cabinet and crossover which might be of interest to you http://tb-speaker.com/uploads/files/98641fa4c3fd3aeee3bb12225b475ed4.pdf

Hi atmo,
Yes I did see TB's suggested XO, but I am specifically interested in first order XO slopes with the drivers wired in phase together, for a "transient perfect" speaker. I may try plugging their XO values into XSim anyway, just to see if XSim predicts out the same response.

stellarelephant -- off the subject a little, but what are you using to run Xsim on a Mac with?
Sharp eyes, Bwaslo! I was wondering if anybody would notice that. I installed Wine and WineBottler, and very easily wrapped it with zero previous experience. XSim runs great on Mac, it turns out!

I am glad to know that so many speaker sim apps will run with Wine. I need to learn how to model baffle step so I can feed that into XSim. Until then, I feel like my simulation efforts are not of much use.

Perceval, I look forward to your results with the W6-2313, and I hope it sounds good for you. They certainly are handsomely built. I am curious about the phase alignment between the drivers, and how much this speaker can approach the coherency of a full range cone.

...but I am specifically interested in first order XO slopes with the drivers wired in phase together, for a "transient perfect" speaker...

...I am curious about the phase alignment between the drivers, and how much this speaker can approach the coherency of a full range cone.

Think if one care measure acoustic slopes then simple passive network on tweeter will never bring it there and a compromise that introduce many other distortions because it not a real smooth 1st order slope, in my opinion needs hammered into slopes using DSP engine with infinite features and when its there will be SPL limited to say a 1 meter or less nearfield triangle, guess we should remember to get coherence for 1st order setup say at a XO point of 2,5kHz then tweeter slope should be smooth and only -20dB at 250Hz lows and same scenario goes for woofer that it should be smooth and only -20dB up at 25kHz. That said the higher we go in XO point excess phase distortion is less and less audioable and SQ-waves ran out of bandwidth at 6kHz area no matter what we do so it shouldn't be so degrading up orders to 2nd or 4th up at say a 3kHz XO point or something and then benefit what that brings of lower stroke and less distortion.

Last edited:
I am glad to know that so many speaker sim apps will run with Wine. I need to learn how to model baffle step so I can feed that into XSim. Until then, I feel like my simulation efforts are not of much use.

Perceval, I look forward to your results with the W6-2313, and I hope it sounds good for you. They certainly are handsomely built. I am curious about the phase alignment between the drivers, and how much this speaker can approach the coherency of a full range cone.

Keep at it. XSim is very nice. I'm only starting to make designs that make sense somewhat... I think the key is... follow some of the rules, and throw caution to the wind and try stuff ... you will learn a lot about it that way.

I'll see when the drivers arrive. Bit busy with other stuff right now.
Undecided if I'll do a sealed or vented box for the W6

Sorry, the woofer and tweeter curves in post 86 and 87 show data with Psychoacoustic smoothing. Here is non-smoothed and with 6.3 ms window.

Tweeter:
View attachment 715179

Woofer in next post.

/Anton

I don't think I could live with that response above 2.5K, especially from a metal tweeter. It would only look worse further off axis.

I wouldn't mind trying a coax but I've never seen a diy coaxial that's smooth off axis.

Santa came in early this year!

I must have been really good! :)

The box saying "watch out!" has a pair of W6-2313

Attachments

• Photo Dec 18, 4 19 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 18, 4 19 51 PM.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 814
Very exciting! This must be the Santa in charge of your region...

Possibly.

Where I come from Santa Claus has already been. On time during the night before the 6th of December and filled kids stockings with sweets.

On the 24th Father Christmas turns up towards the evening after christmas dinner bearing a rod and presents. He uses the rod to punish children for whatever bad things they've done throughout the year and only then hands out presents for all the good things they've done. :)