TB new line of Coax FR drivers

Hi,
do you think could be possible to use the W8-2314 full range in a sealed box (Fc 80Hz) without any crossover on the woofer and a minimalist high pass crossover on the tweeter (starts from 3,5khz).

My idea is to use a natural sealed box's roll-off as mechanical high pass filter between woofer and a the subwoofer (seled) and the natural fullrange roll-off to be matched with the tweeter. Do you think that could be problems with the full range break up ?
Is there any way to build a mechanical low pass filter without use RLC components ?
Best
Greg

TangBand's own responses a legendary - for being make-upped. Too much smoothing and no off-axis info. Whizzer cones are actually mostly like this Lowther
EX3_SPL-1mtfb_-22.2dB_0-10-20-30-40.jpg

Woofer measurements

Here are some measurements I've done. They are done indoors and windowed before first reflection (6.3 ms).

Here is the noise floor:
noise.jpg

Here is response at 0, 30 and 60° at 30 cm distance:
woofer, 30cm 0-60deg.jpg

And at 1 m distance:
woofer, 1 m 0-60deg.jpg

Here is distortion at 1 m, 0° and about 85 dB:
woofer, 1m dist.jpg

It's mounted in a 7.5 l box filled with denim. Baffle is 36 cm x 56 cm with chamfered edges. Mounted 24 cm from top and 18 cm from both edges.

/Anton

Attachments

• both inv.jpg
    both inv.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • woofer inv.jpg
    woofer inv.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,057
More woofer measurements

Near field measurement (3 cm):
woofer, NF.jpg

Impulse response at 1 m, 0°:
woofer imp.jpg

All distances have been measured from tweeter grill (metal). Driver is flush mounted. I have not measured impedance nor drive level. Microphone is miniDSP umik-1 (calibrated).

It's weird that the tweeter response differs so fundamentally from manufacturer curves... Especially above 4 kHz.

/Anton

Last edited:
Since the tweeter curves between the two drivers are identical and yet have different effective waveguide depths, I'm wondering if those curves are for flush-mounted tweeters on a flat baffle. Especially since the tweeter response seems to go much lower than seems apparent from the manufacturer curves. Just a thought.

Since the tweeter curves between the two drivers are identical and yet have different effective waveguide depths, I'm wondering if those curves are for flush-mounted tweeters on a flat baffle. Especially since the tweeter response seems to go much lower than seems apparent from the manufacturer curves. Just a thought.
Good point! Kind of misleading though...

/Anton

Sorry, the woofer and tweeter curves in post 86 and 87 show data with Psychoacoustic smoothing. Here is non-smoothed and with 6.3 ms window.

Tweeter:
tweeter, 1 m, 0-60deg.jpg

Woofer in next post.

/Anton

Attachments

• woofer, 1 m, 0-60deg, FDW.jpg
    woofer, 1 m, 0-60deg, FDW.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,035
  • woofer, 1 m, 0-60deg, 6.3ms.jpg
    woofer, 1 m, 0-60deg, 6.3ms.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,050
Thanks very much for the measurements. :up: Have you compared two units to see if they are consistent? I've had pretty good luck with TB drivers but know that friends have had units that varied widely.
I only bought one...

Onni,
Is the x-over between tweeter and woofer built-in or do you have to design and install it yourself?
There is no built-in XO. I tested with a single cap as it was suggested in the thread. It works, but it's not very "flat". I tested two values.

Tweeter with cap:
4.7uF and 10uF caps, tw only.jpg

Together with woofer (inverted):
4.7uF and 10uF caps.jpg

Distortion with only a 10uF cap:
10uF cap dist.jpg

Not sure if the single cap is enough protection, but it seems so given the low distortion. But someone more capable will probably design both very simplistic and quite complicated crossovers that you can use.

/Anton

Near field measurement (3 cm):
View attachment 715135

Impulse response at 1 m, 0°:
View attachment 715136

All distances have been measured from tweeter grill (metal). Driver is flush mounted. I have not measured impedance nor drive level. Microphone is miniDSP umik-1 (calibrated).

It's weird that the tweeter response differs so fundamentally from manufacturer curves... Especially above 4 kHz.

/Anton

This is not weird. This is normal, considering it's TB. Measurements results are kind of dissappointing, especially tweeter off-axis performance with diffraction issues clearly visible around. Tweeter waveguided by midrange cone should have smooth and uniformly descending 30- and 60-degree curves. Price of this driver is not too low, they probably could optimize it a bit more.