Tapped Horn TH-121 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
post 112 right pic ,is that a seperate hf unit?
That is a Danley Sound Labs DSL SM60F "full range" molded Synergy horn.
Art

Attachments

• DSL SM60F.png
    DSL SM60F.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 880
That is a Danley Sound Labs DSL SM60F "full range" molded Synergy horn.
Art

Hi weltersys,

Yes it is DSL SM60F, I have heard and seen this speaker 2 weeks ago in my city where I took the photo we had Hi-Fi fair and it was playing in one room. I was expecting more from this speaker in the terms of the sound it was good but not to throw me out from my shoes - that is happening only with my Hi/Mid and Low TH suwoofers at home......:)

couldn't quite see the scale of it .
intresting speaker.
so hf driver in the midlle,then 2 holes for each of the 8"driver and 4 hh holes at the end?
Four outer holes are bass reflex ports, four middle bandpass holes for the two outer speakers, four little center bandpass holes for the coax cone, center hole for the coax HF driver.

Very coherent single source constant directivity dispersion, though the conical expansion is not the most sensitive type of horn.

Hi
It is as Art identifies and an implementation of a Synergy Horn as built as Fig#7 here;

Patent US20090136072 - Sound reproduction with improved performance characteristics - Google Patents

The SM-60f is a 3 way Synergy Horn system which also has a pair of 8” woofers feeding the horn (not shown in Fig#7).

The idea is that you are adding these three frequency ranges at dimensions that permit the wavelengths to add coherently like two close coupled subwoofers do except in the throat of a constant directivty horn which governs the radiation pattern.
The passive crossover accounts for the front to back time delay caused by the driver placement and the result is there is no normal crossover phase shift and so what one measures / hears appears to be from a single driver. With any of the Synergy horns, you can walk up to one and even put your head in the mouth and you cannot hear any hint there is more than one source somewhere in front of you.

Our company doesn’t advertise very much but the speakers are edging closer to you, two video’s from Denmark.

Use headphones for the first one if you have them, you can hear the difference between a single acoustic source per side and an array of sources per side.
It doesn’t show in a response curve but you can hear it even with a camcorder.

Danley Sound Labs SM80 vs. d&b Q7 - YouTube

Danley Sound Labs Jericho on Ledreborg 2012 - YouTube
Best,
Tom Danley
Company Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/DanleySoundLabs?ref=ts

So fun, this thread ended with a post from the master himself:)

I'm from Denmark and I heard good about that job:) Actually the boxes were for sale one year after for some reason.

My reason for posting is this:
I'm modelling a 21" tapped horn for a wagon, I'm modelling in free field.
In my newest model I'm not only modelling the air below the wagon, but also the expansion all the way around it up the sides, that extends the lowcut downwards.
I'm not sure how it's best to place the driver, one consideration is a mouth a bit like a tham18 facing downwards another is to have the driver parallel to the ground with the magnet facing straight down. Any opinions on this?

The driver I happen to have by coincidence is beyma 21sw1600. Sorry if I'm a bit offtopic, but this thread appears to be dead anyway, nevertheless subject still is 21" tapped horn, but NO Danley clone.
This is a nonprofit diy cargo-bike project, pedalpower!

Last edited:
Hi Zivkof. Really effective design and a simple build. I wonder if you had any thoughts about them being used outside of your intense home theatre setting. Do they remain efficient enough to warrant the size for playing out at events? It would be amazing to be able to play to 22hz regularly with ability for upper xover point between 80 & 110hz.

Is the best choice of driver for enough efficiency to play out still 1600xl?
I have precision devices 1850 and rcf lf18n401 already but the xl1600 is a reasonable price here in the UK.
It would be interesting to try the BL and FS monsters that are Turbomax as they are built locally to me.
I've also had great use out of Oberton drivers, a Bulgarian company who have recently appointed a UK distributor.

The cabinet size suits me very well for groundstacking as my tops (community tfr34a) are 85cm deep and 63cm wide at the front.

Doesn't make a difference at bass frequencies.

That's interesting!
But why does anyone care to make it conical then?
I guess one step is to little, there must be some limit:)

I just got 4 CBe cyclops, they're stepped as well.
Then I'm designing another tapped horn, people tell me not to put corner reflectors as more volume gives more bass. Yet if you look at THAM15 with corners it has a possitive SPL effect

Last edited:
That's interesting!
But why does anyone care to make it conical then?
I guess one step is to little, there must be some limit:)

I just got 4 CBe cyclops, they're stepped as well.
Then I'm designing another tapped horn, people tell me not to put corner reflectors as more volume gives more bass. Yet if you look at THAM15 with corners it has a possitive SPL effect

Read jbell's original SS15 thread and he explains how he tested the corner reflectors in his design. You can have them, but you should factor in their volume in your model just like with speaker basket volume. Plain and simple, if you add anything inside the enclosure, its going to decrease the volume of the original model. That why HR has the displacement feature for each section of the horn when you view the enclosure.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.