Tannoy alternatives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Huh...I forgot to answer this one.
I made MLTL boxes according to MJK sheet supplied by Z-M himself :D.
They now have more than 300+ hours and they really sing.
This beymas are first loudspeakers that excite me every time I listen to them.
I have putted some damping behind horn flare and than i applied some felt over it to soften the reflections. Result is great! They sound very natural and uncolored. They are very revealing loudspeakers.
They go as low as 35-40 Hz -6db.

Attachments

• post-14-0-56973100-1389090186.jpg
    post-14-0-56973100-1389090186.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 731
Hi there.

Congrats on the speakers chakija.

I'm planning to buy a pair for my system to use them with lampucera and bi-amped t-amp.

What about the transients and dynamics? Are the good. I'm looking for a firecracker kind of sound. The impulse of drums should make you fall of the armchair :)

Is it like that or just a mellow grandpa like presentation without a claw?

What kin of crossover are you using?

Wish you nice listening sessions.

BTW. How was the bass in the dipole?

Yes. That's what the simulations of MLTL are like. Personally I'd try em either in 300 L bass reflex box or 2 meters tall TL of CSA =2Sd.

Le being low and Cms being very high, the bass driver should be punchy and very dynamic. So it would be ideal to put it in silly dipole like 2x2 meters and just enjoy it the way it is tuning the efficiency of the speaker at about 93dB. That being said in perfect world the bass driver wouldn't have any crossover and would filter itself and the HF driver would have only like 1 cap in it's way.

chakija do you use it with Mini dsp currently? If so, one can go for Linkwitz compensation for bass via Mini dsp. And compensate for smaller box with a lot of power.

So many unknowns and options :)

I´m bumping this old thread with a tip; if you want to build Tannoy GRF you should look into scenemonitors such as Tannoy Puma and Lynx. They got the 15" coaxial K3808 or 3809. At least in Sweden they are very cheap, about 3-400 dollar a pair and sounds really good, the hard suspension demands a little more of your amplifier regarding to dampingfactor, but they are still a fairly easy load at 94 dB. I got a pair in GRF-R cabinets and I just love them.
Best regards from Sweden.
Björn

Regarding the x-over; I use an original Puma x-over, it works just fine in my GRF´s. I will upgrade them with better Components later on. Sometime a less complicated filter is perfect. Yes the drivers may have had a hard Life, but they can take a lot of beating. A friend of mine recently bought three pairs of stagemonitors with K3809 drivers, one of the pair was declared defunct by the seller, after a little cleaning they worked just fine. He paid 2000 crowns for the lot.

Nice build.
MDF is Heavy / needs a forklift to move it?
Search For "speedysteve' postings.
He's Built * many* Rect GRF's.
I didn't see any photo evidence of the Teardrop Bar mounted below the driver cavity??
This is IMPORTANT to the design, as in it makes genuine audible improvement
Sometimes it needs fine tuning as well.
G 'luck

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpg
    IMG_4007.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 385
I did not mean to use Puma as they are, I´m saying that the drivers from Puma (and Lynx) kan be used as an alternative to more expensive Tannoy drivers in a GRF project with a very satisfying result, altough I have heard Puma in their own cabinets and they are quite fun to listen to, especially old rock and metal.

Bare, we did not use the teardrop bar, (because we never heard of it...) we rescaled the original GRF-drawing for thicker material, we did however build a cavity for the back of the driver and used felt in the first part of the horn.
The weight of the speakers are about 70 kilo each.

Fair question...read in here:
speakers
This was several (many) years ago and subsequently All rect GRF builds ..have been done with this Teardrop bar. The Bar does improve sounds... no complaints :)
The LF cones pumps out sounds.. Well above.. the tuned frequencies of the Horn assembly ;) those exit as Noises to mess up the bass/effect of the Horn
Unfortunately one needs hearing to fully believe.
Speedysteve 'had' a multi page thread on GRFs in this forum a few years back.
But it's seemingly disappeared.. shame

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.