Tannoy 3134 DC ZM-induced purchase, service and repair

Joined 2008
Paid Member
It’s all good guys. Count your blessings. No one is perfect and we have to try and enjoy what we can in this screwed up world.

Andy… I would be embarrassed to post a picture of all the projects and stuff I have hoarded that are unfinished or not even started!

I finally have some kind of “real” system set up at the end of the new master bedroom. No turntable 😢

The house and life will take priority over putting together more projects for a while.

At least I have this, and I am proud that it all pretty much came from being in this community and learning from others!

Attachments

• IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not yet. It will happen. I sort of have a work bench set up.

Tearing your life apart after living in the same place for 19 years tends to mess with your life and head.

We moved what we had to to get my daughter into her new school. I’ve been between houses since November.

The old house is finally under contract…after working on it through the winter. Hopefully that goes smoothly 🤞🤞🤞

I still have stuff to move!

Takes a lot out of you.

Reactions: 1 users
Following and wondering whether there are some updates in this thread...
Also, when I measure with Limp one of my tulip tweeters' (onto 3134 woofers) impedance plot is really really "flat" compared to the other tweeter. It makes music as well, but could it be that a clean up and a ferrofluid injection would cure it? Thinking I will need to open it up and see..
A quick, not so positive update.. the flat impedance tweeter membrane resulted to be stuck (and grrr in the end broke..) between the center pole and the plate which became unglued and was not centered any longer..
I found a substitute but pocket is still open for customs charges and will either need to glue the plate.. or find a magnet from a donor tweeter.
Not able to post a link now, but had it from Mainly Tannoy who appears to have also the Ferrofluid where correct quantity is indicated.. more on this later.. cheers

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A quick, not so positive update.. the flat impedance tweeter membrane resulted to be stuck (and grrr in the end broke..) between the center pole and the plate which became unglued and was not centered any longer..
I found a substitute but pocket is still open for customs charges and will either need to glue the plate.. or find a magnet from a donor tweeter.
Not able to post a link now, but had it from Mainly Tannoy who appears to have also the Ferrofluid where correct quantity is indicated.. more on this later.. cheers

issue of new item with smaller magnet, solution:

repair of old magnet assy - acetone, as solvent for old glue
clean
plastic shims for centering, assemble with new glue - 2 component epoxy

buy new diaphragm, with or without magnet

mount in repaired magnet assembly

been there, done that

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a link to ferrofluid I will be getting from this very site:
https://mainlytannoy.com/products/high-grade-original-tannoy-ferro-fluid-0-6ml-in-syringe

Also quoting from the link, it should be plenty for both tweeters:
"High grade original Tannoy FERRO FLUID approx 0.6ml in syringe, from the original suppliers to Tannoy. Tannoy used to issue one with their tweeters and send 0.15ml which was more than plenty for one .. "

The curiosity out of me is telling me to measure the tweeter when it will be ok with/and w/o the ferrofluid.. and maybe have a listen?

Here is following a pic of my tweeter magnet, it is 110+mm in diameter and it clearly shows the plate became unglued/loose and is not centered any longer.
The tweeter coil was trapped in the small gap and pulling it out damaged it irreversibly.
The plate can be pulled off now and I started cleaning the old glue already.

20240513_103159.jpg

I was earlier thinking to have a metal bush lathed for centering and gluing the plate back.. but a nylon/plastic bush to have it centered is probably a smarter idea, we will see ;)

@andynor what is your tweeter diameter? I thought there was only one tulip for all..

Furthermore, is there any suggestion for the 2 component epoxy glue? thanks a lot all

Here's a link to ferrofluid I will be getting from this very site:
https://mainlytannoy.com/products/high-grade-original-tannoy-ferro-fluid-0-6ml-in-syringe

Also quoting from the link, it should be plenty for both tweeters:
"High grade original Tannoy FERRO FLUID approx 0.6ml in syringe, from the original suppliers to Tannoy. Tannoy used to issue one with their tweeters and send 0.15ml which was more than plenty for one .. "

The curiosity out of me is telling me to measure the tweeter when it will be ok with/and w/o the ferrofluid.. and maybe have a listen?

Here is following a pic of my tweeter magnet, it is 110+mm in diameter and it clearly shows the plate became unglued/loose and is not centered any longer.
The tweeter coil was trapped in the small gap and pulling it out damaged it irreversibly.
The plate can be pulled off now and I started cleaning the old glue already.

View attachment 1309555

I was earlier thinking to have a metal bush lathed for centering and gluing the plate back.. but a nylon/plastic bush to have it centered is probably a smarter idea, we will see ;)

@andynor what is your tweeter diameter? I thought there was only one tulip for all..

Furthermore, is there any suggestion for the 2 component epoxy glue? thanks a lot all
My replacement tweeter used 0.3mL. Just fill and forget. You will need that amount. Or maybe Mainlytannoy is right, only 0,15. but you may need to draw that fuild into multiple syringed, the magnet will pull out more than you’d expect.

Ferrotec also warns against using the stuff stored in syringes, since the rubber and plastic will pollute the fluid over time. But it will probably be fine.

Have you double checked the ferrofluid type? I can check the exact type in mine, which is correct for this tweeter. It is also in the thread somewhere. I do not believe Tannoy used only one type. I believe a table is somewhere in this thread, but not sure.

Last edited: