Tannoy 3134 DC ZM-induced purchase, service and repair

You know well that my plan has been to replace them, but I have been working with integrating the bass helper, plus testing those protos, and recabling and finding out the phase was inversed when I bought the drivers, until now, so haven’t gotten to it until now. Plus I was considering active xo, so didn’t wanna waste money.

Will be interesting to hear the difference.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Another road trip planned this weekend.

I found these vintage GRF horn cabinets for a song…so cheap, in fact, that I couldn’t buy decent plywood to build them or the transmission lines if I had the opportunity to right now.

No shop to build things in the new house yet anyway…so I keep collecting big speaker cabinets instead of building them!

Evidently, they were built by a high end cabinet shop from the Baltimore, MD area back in the 50s. Wish I found them with Silvers in them…oh well.

I hope to freshen them up so they are a little more contemporary looking and most likely try my 3833gg from the DMTs in them.

Going to leave them horizontal for now and put longer legs on them.

I’m also wondering if the 12” k3149 pepper pots might work. The motorboard is replaceable.

I’ve got all the parts to try the CPA 15 crossover…although I wonder will it work well/properly with these enclosures?

I’ll have to take a peak finally at the 3833 ferrofluid when I transfer them I think.

I wonder if these could be an “end game” speaker for me?…nah, still gotta put the together the modified LaScalas 😉

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3939.jpeg
    IMG_3939.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3938.jpeg
    IMG_3938.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: 2 users
Following and wondering whether there are some updates in this thread...
Also, when I measure with Limp one of my tulip tweeters' (onto 3134 woofers) impedance plot is really really "flat" compared to the other tweeter. It makes music as well, but could it be that a clean up and a ferrofluid injection would cure it? Thinking I will need to open it up and see..

Following and wondering whether there are some updates in this thread...
Also, when I measure with Limp one of my tulip tweeters' (onto 3134 woofers) impedance plot is really really "flat" compared to the other tweeter. It makes music as well, but could it be that a clean up and a ferrofluid injection would cure it? Thinking I will need to open it up and see..
Open up and post pics here, and thou willeth be helped :rofl:

It is fully possible to get ferrofluid, but often you need to buy big amounts.

See my pics of the cleaning process. Using alkylate gasoline is the best option. If the problem is missing or shot fluid.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Made it home with the new family members.

They have some history and will need some attention. Requisite planter ring on top of one.

Seems like some previous owner tried adding some bracing…not sure if some might have been done by the original builders.

There are some threaded rods bracing the mouth that could have been original. They look clean and uniform.

Later on someone added some plywood braces to the throats with some black adhesive that was also used in various seams.

They also attempted some additional rod bracing of the horn segment running along the back of only one cabinet. Perhaps it didn’t pay off?…or they got lazy?

There’s some trim pieces around the inside perimeter of the mouth and a differently cut and mounted motor board on the same cabinet.

Not sure this serves any other acoustic purpose.

Maybe the motor board needed replacing and they were trying to smooth out the mouth termination or make the screens mount and sit better?

The screens are in remarkable condition…albeit a bit dated in appearance perhaps.

My first reaction was to the aged looking course chip board used to form the inner horn.

I can see why someone’s first reaction might be to try and dampen its resonant panels. I’m not sure they took the right approach?

I’m worried about its structural integrity (it’s possibly 75 years old) and I’m thinking that perhaps I need to find a way to coat it with something that will penetrate, reinforce and dampen.

I’m also scratching my head over the appropriateness of trying either the 3833gg or K3149 in them. Neither seem to have been originally intended for horn use?

I have read that the 3833gg was used in a Westminster at some point.

Plenty of criticism regarding bass extension of the rectangular GRF on the web as well.

Oh well, you don’t know unless you try it yourself right?

This is gonna require more research. Time over at the group. Another thread.

ZM only pointed the rabbit hole out…I guess I can’t blame him?

Nah…it’s his fault for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3961.jpeg
    IMG_3961.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3962.jpeg
    IMG_3962.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3965.jpeg
    IMG_3965.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 34
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that sort of bracing (rods) can only be of benefit, though man question is why it is done ........ as you said - did something rattled ...... ?

anyhow, good thinking - try to reinforce all joints with modern techniques ( glue, epoxy)

do your research, try whatever came as idea, trust in your own ears

just run like a fox from places where general consensus is mainly dealing with Tannoy synergy with Accuphase and whatnot amplification

choirs of brainless Dodos, doing nothing else than repeating mantras

anyhow, with Tannoy all is starting with Hans Hilberink pages - mainly good stuff, rare omissions

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
just run like a fox from places where general consensus is mainly dealing with Tannoy synergy with Accuphase and whatnot amplification
I’m not interested in joining the flock…funny I hadn’t read that yet.

Not that I’m any source of brilliant ideas.

I had dreamt of using the SIT 1 monoblocks with these…when I finish restoring them…if they were to remain in the main system.

For now I have the Babelfish J2s, and some Quicksilver Horn Monos to play with.

Many hours spent already in Hans’ website. I need to do more digging and refresh my memory.

just reminds me of number of things I needed to repeat and repeat ......... and then repeat and repeat

not that you didn't remember them first time, you also forgot to go back and read previous e-mails

:cuss: :deerman:
You are wrong. I just postponed it. Since I was contemplating active xo.

And not having time to do things properly, is not the same as forgetting.

But I don’t need to defend anything, I do what the **** I please, when I please. Who cares. I never did not listen to an advice, but I don’t always have the means to carry them out.

This place is ******* unforgiving sometimes.