Tang Band's FR Entry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
InclinedPlane said:
'got a chubby' lol. :D

Yea that reminds me. I was going to search for reviews/opinions on that SEAS driver but forgot until now.
"The angle of the dangle is adversely proportional to the heat of the beat."
"Whoaaa! You're pretty smart, Beavis."

...so if you and i can get three others interested maybe we could do a group buy and get madisound to give us the 10+ $747 pricing??

While not perfect, there's very little after 15k and is easily remedied with a super tweeter of some sort.

I have seen similar basket / magnet combos on other drivers, and inverted surrounds go back a long ways. I have an older pair of fosters than have that and I'm sure they were around before that.

I don't think visual characteristics of a driver are unique beyond a couple avante guard options, as their mainly made up of the same basic assembly. It's how the driver is engineered and put together that makes a driver what it is.

Re: response from Parts Express

ajh said:
I emailed PE about these drivers and got the following response...

"Hello Andy-

Thank you for contacting Parts Express. At this time, we do not expect to add new Tang Band products to our inventory. Please feel free to check back in late spring or early summer. Your new product suggestion had been noted.

Thank you so much for your business and suggestion. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

I am curious to know WHY PE is not planning on adding new TB products?? I have had some trouble with there quality control and im curious if anyone else has had the same problems. I purchased the ...forget the model number now...W740??? the 8" subwoofer with the giant magnet...and the first one arrived and the spider came loose from the VC before it was even broken in and at low power. it started making this clicking noise that took me forever to figure out....PE swapped it out for a new one and that lasted about a year and now its doing it again.

I also did a project a few years ago where we used the 3" TB speakers and out of 12, 2 had open VC's right out of the box.

Is it just me??

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mightyd said:
Not sure I'd call it "full range". It runs out of steam after 15k.

Basket and inverted surround look suspicious rip-off copies of Markaudio's design work. The big players leap on the band wagon real quick these days.

Not many FRs reach out past 15 k.

The Mark Audio plastic basket is really well done, but not the 1st. These don't even have a passing similarity. They do closely resemble baskets on a number of TB OEM products that go back a long ways (i'm not at liberty to say who's), so i'd say they are pretty much off-the-shelf parts.

Inverted surrounds go back a long-long ways -- to before Mark was hatched.

dave

Re: Re: response from Parts Express

Zero Cool said:

I am curious to know WHY PE is not planning on adding new TB products?? I have had some trouble with there quality control and im curious if anyone else has had the same problems. I purchased the ...forget the model number now...W740??? the 8" subwoofer with the giant magnet...and the first one arrived and the spider came loose from the VC before it was even broken in and at low power. it started making this clicking noise that took me forever to figure out....PE swapped it out for a new one and that lasted about a year and now its doing it again.

I also did a project a few years ago where we used the 3" TB speakers and out of 12, 2 had open VC's right out of the box.

Is it just me??

I run 4 of their 6.5" subwoofers in my car and I beat them up and they just take it. Those little buggers are tough. I'm running double their recommended power and they produce nothing but sweet music. I've never had a problem with them.

Well isn't it about bloody time? When TB first came out I was excited to see their early product line and figured that I'd soon see a high efficiency full range in their lineup that I would be interested in purchasing. It has been quite a few years in the waiting. There are lots of low efficiency drivers that can call themselves full-range but none are low power SET friendly, so what is their point?

I checked out the Fostex FE138ESR mentioned above and see that it has a rather grotesque and funky surround. I saw this same surround design show up on some cheap 8" Gomer automotive sub drivers that I bought from PE based mainly on price. When I discovered that the entire driver weight was less than their advertised magnet weight they went back in a hurry. The loud, purple teenager color splash (the natives will trade food and useful goods for sparkly things) did a fantastic job reducing their perceived value to zero. As a result of this traumatic experience I am automatically tuned off when I see such a surround. Anyone know what the benefits and idea behind this design are?

rcavictim said:
There are lots of low efficiency drivers that can call themselves full-range but none are low power SET friendly, so what is their point?

Tubes are not the only path to fullrange audio enlightenment! They do seem to mate well with high efficiency fullrange drivers but some of us use only solid state like myself and it can be a wonderful combination. I agree I don't like to see low efficiency fullrange drivers but even some of the Fostex line are below 90db and they are no slouches. In fact I find lower efficiency useful for an open baffle to achieve equal output with bass drivers without additional components in the path.

There is a reason for the 'UDR' surround. It offers something of a similar benefit to Mr. Purvine's 'enable' process (scattering the breakup mode wave front at the cone boundary) , although I believe it's not quite as effective. Still it is superior to the standard 'half roll' surround.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
InclinedPlane said:
There is a reason for the 'UDR' surround. It offers something of a similar benefit to Mr. Purvine's 'enable' process (scattering the breakup mode wave front at the cone boundary) , although I believe it's not quite as effective. Still it is superior to the standard 'half roll' surround.

The UDR is a lovely piece of work... the FF85k -- offspring of the sigmas & the FFs has UDR, and with EnABL on top is one very special little driver. We'll be using it in our variation on the MJK passive baffle theme.

dave

tinitus said:
The low qts high SPL version rolls off nicely around 100hz
Might be nice fore a big midwoofer frontloaded horn :D

I've been playing around with FR as a wide midrange to avoid crossover in the 400-3000hz range. I have a B&C horn on top, a TB and a subwoofer. I'm starting to think a regular woofer on the bottom is the way to go.
I think I can implement gedlee's waveguide design very inexpensively. At least on the high end. He cross the horn at 900hz. I don't have a waveguide to go that low.
Anyway, I'm learning from having a lot of flexibility as far as crossover points. I'm not convinced that there's benefit in chasing low bass with just a FR. Especially with the real world problems of managing bass below 400hz.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Might work with something simple as this ;)

Attachments

• konisk horn stor.jpg
    konisk horn stor.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 980
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.