TABAQ TL for Tangband

My current placement happened to be 4.5m from speakers, tabaq placed just against the wall, and the listening position at the opposite wall. The little box just got that bass heavy, I had to move them a little away from the wall. The most I learned with this project , placement matters very much.
Bass is less in the middle of the room of course, and the amound can be fine tuned movind the speakers a little.

I'm guessing in my case the bass elevation wouldn't be as strong since it would only be a half-space radiation right, similar to hanging it on the wall?

Also hoping the treble with the 4 in. is tame so I don't have to put in a BSC. Though I do like things to "sparkle", just a little, to get that bite with electric guitars and cymbals.

Guess which one sounds more full and balanced!
(Yes, You're right, the tiny small one on the left. I'm not kidding.)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm just selling the one on the right, which served me well in the past 10 years. The left is my evaluation Tabaq box unfinished, because of a cut mistake at the shop, I'll build a second with nice finish. I'll post pics of that too.

Last edited:
Mostly try to stick to instrumental, not electronic.
What I like on the Vifa:
Jazz, blues, indie, light rock, ambient, classical
Vocals, clear instruments from piano to didjeridu.

What not so great:
Hard rock, metal, in general heavy distorted material sems washed out, the small driver can not separate sounds well, but those are often heavily compressed too, which makes it worst.

What I like on the Vifa:
Jazz, blues, indie, light rock, ambient, classical
Vocals, clear instruments from piano to didjeridu.

What not so great:
Hard rock, metal, in general heavy distorted material sems washed out, the small driver can not separate sounds well, but those are often heavily compressed too, which makes it worst.

I fully agree with this assessment. My Tabaq speakers really shine with modest productions that leave room for all instruments.

With music that is produced as a compressed wall of sound, they do not appear to be in their element (but that also applies to my ears).

Because electronic is not your genre or you want to be "gentle" to the FR drivers? I throw lots of electronic music at my various FR drivers and I really like how it sounds on them. Some bass-heavy genres will naturally limit SPL a lot, but it still sounds great nearfield IMO, the way I listen to them 95% of the time. And just like acoustic-based music, you have the more sparse sub-genres that do better of course. A lot of this for me is on Fostex FF125K, with its practically non-existent Xmax of 0.15mm, but they go past this quite gracefully unless you're really out to abuse them. ;)

Because electronic is not your genre or you want to be "gentle" to the FR drivers? I throw lots of electronic music at my various FR drivers and I really like how it sounds on them. .
I meant I don´t listen much electronic music. There are some that use non-instruments (AvA, Beck, Submarines) that I like but those aren´t realy electro genres. So right, it´s not my genre. :)

Newbie alert! I've been collecting information about TABAQ cabinets and note there seems to be a lot old posts for 3" and 4" driver solutions (Bjohannesen) but nothing for the W-1611s which I've just bought from Blue Planet Acoustic - (Lautsprechershop von blue planet acoustic).
I've seen a rough line drawing form a guy called Roland Breteler (Crafty speakers, Holland - dead website) and I wonder if anyone has any horn cabinet ideas for the W5-1611?
John

Newbie alert! I've been collecting information about TABAQ cabinets and note there seems to be a lot old posts for 3" and 4" driver solutions (Bjohannesen) but nothing for the W-1611s which I've just bought from Blue Planet Acoustic - (Lautsprechershop von blue planet acoustic).
I've seen a rough line drawing form a guy called Roland Breteler (Crafty speakers, Holland - dead website) and I wonder if anyone has any horn cabinet ideas for the W5-1611?
John
Hi, search this thread for ˝Tabaq large˝ you will find the enclosure and simulations here for w5-1611

Hello,
new on this forum, I made some full range high efficiency by the past with fostex, Phy Hp.
I have now a Devialet and rega rs3 speaker for my system as I have little space.
I listen mostly classical from piano, baroque to symphonie ochestra.
Tabaq is interesting as Alpair 7.3.
What you guys would advice for à small speaker, the size of the Tabaq and 3 to 5'' drivers, knowing cost is no object till 2000$
Thanks