TABAQ TL for Tangband

If I were to tune this higher (say 70 Hz), can I just treat it like an ordinary BR and shorten the port and keep the other dimensions the same?

Just curious. I have another project planned for much later months; a bass horn. Then I thought, why not make a pair and make a 2 channel woofer? Then one idea came after another, and so I thought why not have the pair of TB play full range, and I'd make a pair of Tapped Horns that play 30-80 Hz. Then blend both into one big unit.

Worst case scenario, disassemble everything, put the TB drivers back into the original TABAQ enclosure, make a dual driver 30Hz (25Hz possible maybe?) sub out of the woofers with all that extra plywood and use a 2.1 amp or something.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Having the Tabaq play full range and a sub can sound great - basically a FAST setup. If you high pass the Tabaq so that cone doesn't do much work below 150 Hz it really reduces distortion. A TH sub will be very sensitive in the mid to high 90dB so the Tabaq may be overpowered unless you really attenuate the drive to the subs. If you use a TH sub you really need a mid to high 90 dB sensitive full range top (check out the PRV 5MR450NDY thread). The. You can play loud and low distortion.

Regarding tubing a MLTL higher and treating like a BR. Check out the Accidental MLTL thread.

I am very tempted to go all out with a driver, but since it'll be my first try in any kind of horn, I think I'll opt for a cheapy; DCS205-4. I've seen people make successful THs out of them so I know it works.

Also, one guy suggested either I use a 4 channel amp or a pair of amps. Since I would already have an amp for the current TABAQ, another stereo amp or a mono MAY be a viable idea. I can control the bass volume very easily. And maybe having a dedicated amp for the pair of woofers have its own advantage?

My planned TH would be low-passed at 80, so wouldn't 150 high pass for the TABAQ leave a big gap? High passing that low wouldn't do much good if the aim is to protect it from LF and leave more room for volume and clear out distortion, but loudness isn't my priority as the room isn't big (about 800 sq. ft.). Leaving it without a high pass would severely bump up the bass. Is high-passing at 80Hz okay?

Your crossover points need to consider the drivers and application. you shouldn't arbitrarily pick a point, but rather the one that works best with both designs. otherwise design both speakers to a pre-selected point. xrk's 150 hz assumes some particular driver, but the range of drivers that work in TABAQ could let you go as low as 100hz. the dcs205 can easily cross in the 200-300hz range if needed.

I am very tempted to go all out with a driver, but since it'll be my first try in any kind of horn, I think I'll opt for a cheapy; DCS205-4. I've seen people make successful THs out of them so I know it works.

Also, one guy suggested either I use a 4 channel amp or a pair of amps. Since I would already have an amp for the current TABAQ, another stereo amp or a mono MAY be a viable idea. I can control the bass volume very easily. And maybe having a dedicated amp for the pair of woofers have its own advantage?

My planned TH would be low-passed at 80, so wouldn't 150 high pass for the TABAQ leave a big gap? High passing that low wouldn't do much good if the aim is to protect it from LF and leave more room for volume and clear out distortion, but loudness isn't my priority as the room isn't big (about 800 sq. ft.). Leaving it without a high pass would severely bump up the bass. Is high-passing at 80Hz okay?

As I am nearing the actual build (hopefully att he end of the semester, in 4 weeks), I'm more inclined towards the W5-1611SAF. It looks to be a better candidate for the future FAST application as well (more SPL), and at the same time should have the bass that the 4 inch can't provide to keep me satisfied till I can reach full funding for the subwoofer section.

Has anyone built the TABAQ using W5 SAF? I've seen one for the SA in a DB616TL, and plans for the SAF but not an actual built unit.

Morning Firstoff
afaik is the TABAQ made for 3" and 4" drivers. The w5-1611 is to big for the concept.
For a Fast the W4-1320 is also a good choice and it works great in the TABAQ!

Regards
Morning! (Or rather, afternoon here where I am).
Oh, Bjohannessen posted a plan for a TABAQ for the W5-1611SAF. It's about 40 cm taller overall, the driver is about 16cm higher from the floor, and it estimated to go down to the mid 30's. Kinda wondering why no one ever attempted it.

My TABAQ with Vifa TG9-FD10/04 powered by HifiBerry Amp:
TABAQ-HifiBerryAmp_II.JPG

hi Bjohannesen, the driver is Alpair 10.3
T/S from the average driver of 5 test units.
Revc= 7.200 Ohm
Fo= 38.266 Hz
Sd= 8.825K mm2
Vas= 26.320 Ltr
Cms= 2.380m M/N
Mmd= 6.792 g
Mms= 7.269 g
BL= 5.772 TM
Qms= 1.930
Qes= 0.378
Qts= 0.316
Levc= 71.379u H