System Pictures & Description

Paul your woodwork is stunning! I have a question about your horns that I hope doesn't offend you. They appear to be made from metal, doesn't that make them ring?

Thetubeguy1954
No offense taken, happy for any criticism in case Im doing something wrong.
Yes they are made of copper as in my first post.
The copper is about 1mm thick. The fins are made of lead and bolted in place.
The rear dish where the faitalpro are bolted too are also filled with lead. I also used a double layer of thick pouring epoxy in the throat.
These horns are very heavy.
If I tap the very front edge of the horn there is a slight ring that lasts less than a second. If I tap in the middle there is nothing, just a dull thump.

I dont believe it colourises the sound any, but I could experiment with the measuring microphone and do some sweeps.

I shaped it by using templates I made from the Yuichi horn site Yuichi's Audio Lab.

There not perfect. Should be able to get them to sound god enough for me.

Open baffle 3-way speakers with a pair of upwards-pointing 8" subwoofers, amplifier rack on the left. MiniDSP for crossover. Elliot sound products p101 amps for the woofers and mids (woofer with current-feedback). Marantz for the tweeters. Silicon chip s350 kit amp for the subwoofer.

ob%20speakers_zps4xe471qw.jpg

Uluwatu LCR

Just finished an LCR of Curt's Uluwatu speaker, all three our now housed in a custom, 125" solid Alder cabinet. for scale, that's a 135" screen.

Speaker Design Works

This is an incredibly good and affordable loudspeaker. Curt gave his blessing to lay the MTM on its side so I built a monster LCR out of this speaker. If anyone wants, I can provide baffles for $. ;)

In room response is in the 20's measured in my listening room. An incredible loudspeaker for movies. Commands incredible hold on program material and I'm enjoying music immensely on them. Not quite as good as my ER18 MTM (background) but close.

Attachments

• IMAG0226[1].jpg
    IMAG0226[1].jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 1,912
  • IMAG0208[1].jpg
    IMAG0208[1].jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 1,883
  • IMAG0233[1].jpg
    IMAG0233[1].jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 1,774
  • IMAG0219[1].jpg
    IMAG0219[1].jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 1,744
  • IMAG0207[1].jpg
    IMAG0207[1].jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 670
It's the wall right behind them that is so & so...
There must be a certain range in which the wave exinguishes before being bounced back.
I'm not sure what effects there are from having an open baffle speaker close to a wall. I have read on these forums that open baffle speakers should be at least a meter from any wall, in this case they're desk-mounted monitors so they are about 30cm from the wall. They still sound good though! I need to find the best crossover and equalization settings to optimise them a bit.

Open baffle 3-way speakers with a pair of upwards-pointing 8" subwoofers, amplifier rack on the left. MiniDSP for crossover. Elliot sound products p101 amps for the woofers and mids (woofer with current-feedback). Marantz for the tweeters. Silicon chip s350 kit amp for the subwoofer.

ob%20speakers_zps4xe471qw.jpg
Neat.
It's the wall right behind them that is so & so...
There must be a certain range in which the wave exinguishes before being bounced back.
Let's focus on the positive.

Haven't posted anything here for a few years so thought I'd share my latest project. Just finished this 4-way active system in September. I am using a MiniDSP 4X10HD with a Auraliti music server as source feeding the digital output from the server directly to the 4X10. The speakers stand 6 feet tall and use the following drivers:
ScanSpeak D3004 1 inch beryllium dome tweeter crossed at 2500hz
Satori 6 inch mids crossed at 250hz
Dayton Audio 12 inch Reference HO for bass crossed at 80hz
Dayton Audio 15 inch Ultimax in an 8 ft3 cab tuned to 20 hz for subs

Add a little correction to smooth out driver response and some time correction and ........ incredible!!! :D. I've heard alot of speakers before but these are maybe the best I've ever heard. Finishing was by far the biggest challenge with this project. I wound up using a high gloss black single stage urethane. I'm not real pleased with the way the finish turned out, which I blame on lack of experience and the fact that I did the painting in my garage. But, even with the less than perfect paint job I am still very pleased with how this project turned out.

If anyone in the Chicago area is interested or knows someone who might be these are up for sale. Need to fund the next project......

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1694 (1).jpg
    IMG_1694 (1).jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 2,087
1541 Custom Line Array

This is a custom line array with, per side, 40-802A Pioneer 15” woofer, eight Vif 4” 95060 mids and four 1” HiVi TN25 tweeters. The woofer cabinet is an original bottom half of HPM 1500, fitted with the original woofers. The wood is 1” high density particle board with a rear firing 3” diameter vent.

The line array upper speaker half is a Radio Shack Optimus T1100 cabinet with a rebuilt front baffle. The upper half is .75” high density particle board with extensive internal bracing. The back of the upper cabinet half has dual heavy duty binding posts and an L-Pad for midrange output adjustment.

The overall speaker is 57” tall, 18” wide and 11” deep. Each speaker weighs about 90 lbs. The speaker are clad in genuine walnut veneer wood with 3 coats of Tung oil.

The x-over is a full second order Linkwitz/Riley set around 500 hz and 3500 hz.

Speaker response is 37hz to 21khz with a sound pressure level of 94 db @1 watt, 1 meter.

They sound pretty darn good!

DC

Attachments

• PICT0007 (3).JPG
    PICT0007 (3).JPG
    685.9 KB · Views: 2,051
  • PICT0004 (5).JPG
    PICT0004 (5).JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 1,933
  • PICT0003 (5).JPG
    PICT0003 (5).JPG
    740 KB · Views: 1,762
  • PICT0002 (5).JPG
    PICT0002 (5).JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 353
  • PICT0002@.JPG
    PICT0002@.JPG
    935.8 KB · Views: 419
Haven't posted anything here for a few years so thought I'd share my latest project. Just finished this 4-way active system in September. I am using a MiniDSP 4X10HD with a Auraliti music server as source feeding the digital output from the server directly to the 4X10. The speakers stand 6 feet tall and use the following drivers:
ScanSpeak D3004 1 inch beryllium dome tweeter crossed at 2500hz
Satori 6 inch mids crossed at 250hz
Dayton Audio 12 inch Reference HO for bass crossed at 80hz
Dayton Audio 15 inch Ultimax in an 8 ft3 cab tuned to 20 hz for subs

Add a little correction to smooth out driver response and some time correction and ........ incredible!!! :D. I've heard alot of speakers before but these are maybe the best I've ever heard. Finishing was by far the biggest challenge with this project. I wound up using a high gloss black single stage urethane. I'm not real pleased with the way the finish turned out, which I blame on lack of experience and the fact that I did the painting in my garage. But, even with the less than perfect paint job I am still very pleased with how this project turned out.

If anyone in the Chicago area is interested or knows someone who might be these are up for sale. Need to fund the next project......

Dan

Dan that's quite a nice looking ---{and hopefully sounding}--- pair of speakers! What do you think of those ScanSpeak 1 inch beryllium dome tweeters? I wished I was in Chicago so I could hear those speakers Dan. I was going to wish you with the hope that these speakers will present you with years of musical enjoyment, but I see you're already selling them? You're not even going to enjoy them for awhile first? I'm an SET / High Sensitivity guy myself, so I'm not interested in your speakers, but that said; I'd love to know what you're asking for the pair...

I'm listening to: My Favorite Things by Joey Alexander

Thetubeguy1954

I had a pair of speakers I built years ago as a kit from Zalytron that used a pair of Accuton ceramic domes that were really good. Very natural sounding and very easy to listen to. By comparison the ScanSpeaks are much more open and detailed without any hint of aggressiveness or brightness. I much prefer the ScanSpeaks only because they have a bit more of that airyness on the very top end. The Accutons tended to roll off above 8khz.

I really enjoy these speakers alot but for me the fun of this hobby is all about the build. You can't really sell these speakers without the MiniDSP as that's where all the xover and EQ and delay control takes place so the DSP would have to be included as part of the system. I don't really have a price in mind per se but I know that if you had to buy this sound you're talking well into the mid 5 figures. Given the markup on speakers in a retail market and the cost of parts, labor, and materials I have invested I would hope to get something more than $15,000. Not that anyone here would pay that for something they could build themself for much less, but I figured I would throw it out there and see what happens. You never know..... I've many times considered taking a stab at taking on contract builds as a way to keep busy when I retire.

If you lived in the area, or if anyone in the Chicago area would like to stop by and give them a listen and maybe talk shop just send me a PM.

Dan