Sure Electronics New Tripath Board 4*100W class-D Amplifier Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you need 24v to cut it

With the 2*100W I was using a 18-19v 4.5A laptop supply for a while and it sounded ok but when I upgraded it to a 24v 4A "universal power supply" it made a big improvement. I picked one up dirt cheap off Ebay and then upgraded the internal components using the better quality stuff out of my 18-19v supply, I don't recommend this unless you know what your doing though as there are some very dangerous voltages inside SMPS.

col.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 4 X 100W board, together with the big PSU (14.6A) to go with it. Now my speakers mean I should be getting about 35W per channel, easily enough. I only hope the sound quality is somewhere near the beloved trends that I stupidly sold a while back.

Now, anyone know of a decent suitable enclosure? something alloy, black sexy and cheap? :D

Now, anyone know of a decent suitable enclosure? something alloy, black sexy and cheap?

Like this?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Can also supply with a black front in a month or so.

Last edited:
Thanks, unfortunetley minimum quantities for cost effective manufacturing mean I can't do custom front plates.

I can remove the silk screening, and will be looking at various back plates etc (they're all interchangeable), but it'll be a while before I have a range of front plates other than those pictured.

And just to wet your appetite even more, here's some more photos including the black option.

So does anyone have any further thoughts or experience of this board? I am interested particularly in noise levels and sound quality. also, does anyone know if I would need to use a jumper or similar to run the board without a pot, ie. as a power amp? thanks.

:)

I have not heard the amp yet, but soon will. There is no need to jumper it to use as a power amp. The two channel version however has adjustable gain via a switch array. This makes it more versatile. But If your pre-amp is zerogain, I would think the 4times amp will be fine in this regard.

I will update as soon as I can with sound levels

Thanks Blair. I will be using a Rane AC22B as the 'preamp' it has adjustable gain from zero. I have heard there may be another issue with regard to the PSU I will be using, ie. the board states up to 10A, where the PSU I have is 14.6A, is there a possibility this would cause an issue?

Thanks, Steve

Thanks Blair. I will be using a Rane AC22B as the 'preamp' it has adjustable gain from zero. I have heard there may be another issue with regard to the PSU I will be using, ie. the board states up to 10A, where the PSU I have is 14.6A, is there a possibility this would cause an issue?

Thanks, Steve

I take it this "up to 10A" that you are quoting is the current consumption of the board. The only issue that I could see is if the amplifier modul

Current works like this; In power supplies, the current quoted is the maximum that the power supply can supply. If you have a 14.6A power supply, and your amplifier only needs 4A (at a given moment i time), the power supply only gives out 4A (At that moment in time). What you dont want to do is to have a power supply that can't supply as much current as you need.

The only issue that I could see is if the amplifier IC's themselves are capable of asking for more current than the boards PCB, Terminals, or supply wires are capable of handling. Even then, this would normally only be an issue if you are running the amplifier at full power for prolongued periods. I would be suprised if this is the case.

So you should be fine with this power supply. :)

TBh honest Blair, that is what I thought, but I know someone who had a problem with this board and the meanwell 24V 14.6A PSU that I have also ordered. We shall see what happens, I have a couple of lower rated PSU's that I could try first to make sure. I have also ordered a nice chassis from modushop.it

Steve

TBh honest Blair, that is what I thought, but I know someone who had a problem with this board and the meanwell 24V 14.6A PSU that I have also ordered. We shall see what happens, I have a couple of lower rated PSU's that I could try first to make sure. I have also ordered a nice chassis from modushop.it

Steve

I am als going to use a modushop case. I have been talking with them about using my own design. I have done the majority of the work on it as well, just need to add an IR port to the design and it is ready.

I am als going to use a modushop case. I have been talking with them about using my own design. I have done the majority of the work on it as well, just need to add an IR port to the design and it is ready.

Cool. You will have to post pics when it is done. I have just gone for the standard black Pisante 3U with some handles..

I do like the look of their Class T cases too, very cheap and stylish, perfect if you need a pot in there.

Steve

Why do you allow yourselves to be so easily conned?
Look at the datasheet for the tk2050.

It is a 42W into 8r0 @ ~0.1%distortion amplifier. Not 100W.

Look at the data and look at the graphs.

The only version that approaches or exceeds 100W is the parallel into 4r0. That is TWO amplifiers operating in parallel to give 117W into 4r0, i.e. 58.5W into 8r0 @ ~10% distortion.

Why do you allow yourselves to be so easily conned?
Look at the datasheet for the tk2050.

It is a 42W into 8r0 @ ~0.1%distortion amplifier. Not 100W.

Look at the data and look at the graphs.

The only version that approaches or exceeds 100W is the parallel into 4r0. That is TWO amplifiers operating in parallel to give 117W into 4r0, i.e. 58.5W into 8r0 @ ~10% distortion.

The Sure design is using parralled amplifiers. Its not a con.

If you look at this image (heatsink removed) you can see the 4 stereo chips. i.e. 4*100W. Of course 100W is not an exact figure, and you wont get 100W per channel without serious distortion if at all. But it should be useable to around 60w. The 2 channel version sounds very good in stock form.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew. I don't think I am being 'conned' since I already knew what power I might be expecting into my 6-8Ω load. In fact I think I mentioned it earlier on in the thread. I used to have a Trends TA10.1 which I modified slightly, and I would guess that before any meaningful distortion I may have been getting around 7-8w maximum into a benign 8Ω 94dB load, so no issues there.

Is the power output the only point on which you believe we are being conned? or is there some other issue we need to know about? Do you have a preference for chip amps over Tripath? if so, any reasons?

Thanks Andrew.

Steve

I don't know if I have ever listened seriously and knowingly to a digital amp (of any type).
I do have a preference for discrete analogue over ICs.

If you are ever near Glasgow, I can certainly indulge you to a listening session. I have a 4 Channel Gainclone, several TA2024 modules a Sure 2*100w and shortly will have the 4*100w working hopefully.

I love my Clone, but the Tripath sound is even better IMHO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.