Super Regulator

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Have some of the boards on order.

Nowhere have I seen any recommendations for the raw supply.

BELLESON recommends nothing more than a rectifier and a capacitor after the transformer for their implementation of the super reg. Is that the case for this one, also? Was thinking with the elimination of the 317 it might be good to add more filtering to the raw supply? Curious what others think.

Another thing I wonder about (of course, I will try it) but has anyone used a pulldown resistor on the output of the reg? I am going to use 750R - my circuit does not draw much current I could probably bleed off more than that. Another thing that I found was beneficial with the BELLESONs and was recommended by Brian as something to try. Seems like a god idea to me.

Take care,

Rick, you may wish to review jackinnj's article on regulators to place the Belleson in perspective.

Jan

Thanks to you both for your advice.

I will use the capacitor!

I have read the article many times and know that the BELLESON did not rate as high as I would have thought it would in that test.

I will look again but I do not remember much being said about what was used before the regulators or if what was used was considered optimum. I might have assumed it was purposely slightly imperfect like the line stage circuit used was as part of the test.

Being skeptical, in the audio nervosa way, of SMD components I wonder if the use of through hole resistors could make a difference? Certainly lots more capacitance on board. It would seem almost impossible for something so tiny to work better. In the case where space is at a premium one must use the best available.

I am usually one of those SHUNTS ONLY guys but have had good luck with the BELLESONs, so I am very interested to finally hear what this venerable circuit can do. No question something that has lasted this long in the world of kook audio has to have something going for it.

No one but kooks would be concerned about such things. And I am one of those people.

Last edited:
The Belleson has very commendable PSRR, but:

Attachments

• Belleson_Zout.gif
    Belleson_Zout.gif
    12 KB · Views: 594
  • Belleson_Noise.gif
    Belleson_Noise.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 595
Mr. Walton,

May I ask what you used for the raw supply in the test?

I have looked and did not see a post and there was nothing in the article.

Was it a simple C filter, which is what I would presume, or did you add an RC stage? I usually use CRC. But on an aesthetic level since I figure it HAS to be better. Irony intended. I have never compared to a simpler supply and, as you can tell, I am lazy. I would like to know what your gimlet eye and ears have noticed, if you have compared.

Do you have a recommendation of how to supply a good regulator?

Thanks and take care,

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Being skeptical, in the audio nervosa way, of SMD components I wonder if the use of through hole resistors could make a difference? Certainly lots more capacitance on board. It would seem almost impossible for something so tiny to work better.

Lots of people worry about the material and attachment of the wires of through hole resistors. You don't have to with SMD 😁
Use thin film resistors, not smaller than 0805.

Jan

I have read concerns from people who are not audio kooks about SMD resistors. I have not made any comparisons because I cannot solder them!

I would think the largest ones would have to be the best.

I have read that the MELF resistors are superior for SMD.

I have no intention of making my own board!!! Just speculating on why the JUNG/DIDDEN sounded superior to the tiny BELLESON.

Regarding the raw supply for the regulator test: I assumed that those bench supplies were only used for the measurements and would have thought something more like what would be used in an actual line stage was used to power the regulators for the listening tests. That assumption thing gets me every time.

I have some skepticism of the use of cascaded regulators. It is interesting that Brian Lowe recommends against using a regulator in front of his regulator. One would think the JUNG/DIDDEN would be just as unhappy with this situation as the BELLESON so I suspect the rankings remain the same.

Can't help but wonder if using a typical raw supply with the various regulators might have made a difference in the listening tests. We will never know.

One thing for sure the JUNG/DIDDEN is a great value. I have yet to hear mine since I am now waiting on 10uF caps but I am pleased that they are inexpensive compared to BELLESONs and everything else, for that matter.

Have to say the DIYAudio store is a great asset and a pleasure to do business with.

Of course, when you have pondered as much as Mr. Jung has there is not much left to dither on. He knows what he wants and how to get it.

I felt sure you had not used a lab supply for the listening part and appreciate the assurance that this was the case.

THANKS very much for your help.

Take care,

PS have you tried his shunt regulator?

With all components standard except for R6 and R13, which are 750R, my led does not light up and the output of the regulator is only 1V lower than input. Input voltage is 15 and output voltage is 14V. I have roughly 12.2V across R6/R13 and 1.9V across r7/14. My intended output voltage is 12v +/-. D2/D7 have 1.68V across them, the lm329dz has roughly double that at 3.59V. Not really sure what's happening. It would appear that the opamp is not regulating but don't know why. Second set of boards with same results. AD825 is the op amp used.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 470
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
R5/12 = 4.99k per BOM

Have you checked the value? Checked that the connections are OK?
Is there 14V at the top of the R, is the bottom connected to the top of the 329, bottom of 329 to ground? Broken 329? This is called 'fault finding' ��

Your build looks OK. Have the pos and neg the same problem?

Jan

Last edited: