"Super-Pair" I/V for TDA1543

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's mine :)

Not working yet. 2 zeners, the output resistors and 4 other resistors are missing.

Attachments

• dscf0040.jpg
    dscf0040.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,085
The one I built has some small differences with Rudolf's schematic (mostly because I had difficulties to find some parts)

-the 1st caps are 680uF (the green ones will be changed to 470uF when they'll arrive)
-transistors are BC550C BC560C, except for the 2 japaneese that are 2Sc2547 and 2Sa1085
-the 2nd CCS is cascoded with a J309
-I/V resistor is a Dale CMF-55 1.24kR
-output cap (LP filter) is a 1nF styroflex
-the LM334 is replaced with a J309+110R (5mA) (the i/V is 100% discrete now :cool: )
-it will be used with a TDA1541; so D2 and D3 are replaced with a 47R resistor. Maybe I'll add a 100uF on it

Attachments

• dscf0041.jpg
    dscf0041.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,048
Hi,

I've built the IV some months ago, but it didn't work properly. After a couple of days trying to have ot work, it layed somewhere until today.

Now, I spent all the afternoon with it, still trying to make it work. But nothing helped :(

I still have a big (3.2V) offset at the output, the pot seems to be here to tune the offset, but with the pot at 100% (1k) there's a 3.2V offset
With the pot at 0, the leds shut down, and the offset goes up to 5V

But never zero inbetween

Does anyone have an idea, please? :bawling:

OK, I found my error: I put the BC550 instead of the 2SA1085 and the 2SA1085 instead of the BC550

It certainly couldn't work this way :D

But now, this thing oscillates like mad :mad:

At powerup, it's 32MHz 3Vpp
When I touch some pins with a screwdriver, it becomes 64MHz 300mVpp
And back to 32MHz 3Vpp when I touch some over pins.

The oscillation even "goes back" to the psu, it's clearly visible on it. (my psu is made of 6 9V cells in series) I assume that the regulator isn't effective anymore at such frequencies, and that the caps aren't neither (I only use lytics, like in the schematic, no bypassing)

It seems VERY sensitive! When I touch the board, the DC offset changes. When I move my hand near the board, it changes too. I can even see the curve move on the scope when I'm placed 1 meter away and move my arms :eek:

The DC offset isn't stable either, sice it changes with my hand's position it's hard to tune it with the pot. But even worse, if I switch it off and on again, the DC changes also a lot (a few hundred of mV)

One problem is solved, another shows up :(

Bricolo said:
Hi, thank you for your post

Can you detail the symptoms your version had, please?
Did you try various cap values, and various positions, to obtain something stable?

Do you use a pcb? I'm on a veroboard, I can post the layout if you want

Well - it oscillated

blank vero board - the original design was on doudle sided with an earth plane so this might explain the problem

I suggest you try the mod using the values I did and if this does not fix it then we can think a bit more

good luck

mike

p.s. but from memory the values were not that critcal

ok I'll try that. I have some cheap 0.1uF filp caps laying around.

Did you place the caps as close as possible to the transistors (less than 5mm), or did it work with moderate traces length?

Here's my layout for the veroboard (IV resistors and capacitor aren't shown)

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 686
When I said the values were not that critical, I did not mean that 100 times more would be OK...:hot:

0.1uF will almost certainly roll off the treble.

I would think the 330pF - 1000pF ( 1nF ) would be worth trying.

I would solder them onto the bottom of the board.

mike

OK, I'll try with some caps tomorrow

I just tested without the super pair (shorted the base and emitter of the "control" transistors), the oscillation changed, was smaller (50 to 100mV) and at a lower frequency (300kHz) but was still here :(

So it's not (only) the super pair that causes this behaviour

I'll also test the board at scool tomorrow, if I have the time. I don't know why but many things I test at home do like to oscillate... my next project will be a DIY faraday cage :D

Bricolo said:
even when I just place the probe some cm away from the board, I can see oscillations at nearly the same amplitude

what can cause this?

The board is acting as a RF transmitter

Are your supplies properly decoupled ?

If not, You could try using those 0.1uF close to the where the rails connect with the cct - with leads running to the earth.

beyond this - perhaps rbroer can help

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1750

mike

The power supply (for testing) is made of 6 9V cells in series

No decoupling at all for the momment, only the lytics shown on rudolf's schematic. (and the ceramic you adviced on the 3 transistors)

But I tested at achool, and with a bench power supply it also oscillated

Bricolo said:
The power supply (for testing) is made of 6 9V cells in series

No decoupling at all for the momment, only the lytics shown on rudolf's schematic. (and the ceramic you adviced on the 3 transistors)

But I tested at achool, and with a bench power supply it also oscillated

If you are not using very low or ultra low impedance caps the 0.1uF's might help.

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.