Super High-End 3-way floor-stander

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another very cool three way floorstander worthy of emulating...
Krypton³ | Amphion

Yes, I like Amphion speakers, but I prefer the smaller ones. I have listened to the Kryptons at audio shows, but I couldn’t say that I was impressed by them. On the other side it’s not fair to judge a speaker based on listening at an audio show.

The Amphions has a special sonic character by using large Waveguides. It would be nice to test something similar e.g. 2x ScanSpeak 18W Revelators with a ScanSpeak tweeter in a large 8” Waveguide crossed somewhere between 1000-1500Hz.

Regards

/Goran

I chose the RAAL 70-10, Scan Speak 10F and 2 x Wavecor SW182's.

How do you find the Wavecor drivers?

I want to give a special “thank you” to “ShinOBIWAN” for sharing his experience with the RAAL ribbons and the ScanSpeak beryllium dome.
Alternative 1:
Tweeter option1 (RAAL): 1x RAAL 140-15D
Tweeter option2 (BE): 1x ScanSpeak D3004/664000
Tweeter option3 (AC): 1x ScanSpeak D3004/660000
http://www.raalribbon.com/download/raal_140-15d.pdf
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-664000.pdf
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-660000.pdf

Mid: 1x ScanSpeak 15M/4531K00
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/15m-4531k00.pdf

Woofer (PAPER): 2x ScanSpeak 22W/8851T00
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/22w-8851t00.pdf

Any reason why you are not considering Autio Technology like Shinobiwan?

i´d like to do the same but with this driver as midrange 10F/8424G00

With the limited Xmax and Sd and high Fs you'd need to XO over 250Hz.

I haven't got them running yet, but they certainly look nicely designed and well built.

I only asked becuase i am considering their SW270 with their passive raditaors for a compact subwoofer.
Subwoofers

No, no particular reason besides that I like ScanSpeak drivers and that I wanted to build a reference floor-stander around the 15M/15W mid-woofer.

However, I have a small 2-way project in pipeline for the Audio Technology 15H.

/Goran
I would also recommend SS Illuminator with Be tweeter as I have build a 2-way using these drivers.. that Be dome tweeter is amazing, have very good off axis dispersion, excelent imaging, improve midrange performance, while the midbass is excelent producing deep bass full body and extended..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/23208-system-pictures-description-197.html

Btw, why not go for a 4-way sealed design, rather than 3 way with double woofer? It's still on my wish list someday to build a 4 way with SS Be tweeter, Vifa DM75X dome mid, 18W Illuminator and 23W woofer.. :)

No, no particular reason besides that I like ScanSpeak drivers and that I wanted to build a reference floor-stander around the 15M/15W mid-woofer.

/Goran

It's interesting the way we all have our own ideas of what constitutes a "reference" system. I'd like a super fancy B&C system, but I don't understand my attachment to this brand... It's like the way some people cling to Klipsch, or whomever.

Btw, why not go for a 4-way sealed design, rather than 3 way with double woofer? It's still on my wish list someday to build a 4 way with SS Be tweeter, Vifa DM75X dome mid, 18W Illuminator and 23W woofer.. :)

The DM75X might be a misfit in this set but I to have dreamt of a 3 way using the 23W, 18W and tweeter.

It's interesting the way we all have our own ideas of what constitutes a "reference" system. I'd like a super fancy B&C system...

and your choice of drivers would be...

If it is gong to be "super high end", then the group delay, the impedance irregularities and all other weaknesses of the bass reflex enclosures should be excluded from the design, thus excluding the bass reflex option.
According to people like Linkwitz and E.J. Jordan, the best option is in wall speakers, second best is the aperiodic enclosure, third best is the closed box and OB or dipoles are as good as any of the three with some well known shortcomings. This is very generally speaking, but it's like this.

Best Regards!

LOL......Yeah .......:rolleyes:

If you like real bass I mean subbas. A closed box will never be high-end without active correction.

You can design a BR with group delay around 20Hz You cannot hear that, and have much better bass-response as you can get closed. I think closed box lovers confuse sub-bas with less controlled bas.

Here a example of a high-end carbon subbas monacor sph300ctc as you see the comment on the impedance and phase is wrong. Higher group delay as closed box only below 35hz. with the port placed on the back you get subbas down 20hz in 63 liter.

To make good basreflex you need a big port 30% or >Sd.
g101830a-p.jpg

+10........:sax:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Here a example of a high-end carbon subbas monacor sph300ctc

-----------------------
highend ? no way

Monacor looks good
quality may be ok, but average/mediocre
though prices are still highish

tho there actually may be a few 'lucky' drivers
and real good ones too
and even among the cheap ones
or maybe especially among the cheap ones

but I wouldn't get too excited about Monacor
many drivers are very old designs
from before internet
and prices are from back then too
in short, overpriced

but then, who knows what happens
prices seems to go up fast, in general, everywhere

Oh, well... I thought that this was a Seas and Scan Speak thread... but, I'd love to have a pair of the DCX50's.
B&C SPEAKERS
but they are about $600 each... not including the horn of course...

From B&C:

"The DCX50 and DCM50 represent a new level of high quality, high performance, full range and midrange drive units. Our patent pending designs utilize a neodymium magnet assembly and a 50mm voice coil.
The platform for each design is a 5” paper cone which offers superior damping properties. The DCX50 is
the full range version and has an operating range from 400 Hz–16 kHz. The DCM50 is a true midrange device. The sound quality of the DCX series is really natural, and offers exceptional clarity in the vocal range."

I'm not saying these are better than anyone else's products, of course.

Here a example of a high-end carbon subbas monacor sph300ctc

-----------------------
highend ? no way

Monacor looks good
quality may be ok, but average/mediocre

I used monacor drivers the build qaulity lacks. The materials are good like frame and cone.

The specifications are OK

though prices are still highish
medium

tho there actually may be a few 'lucky' drivers
and real good ones too
and even among the cheap ones
or maybe especially among the cheap ones
but I wouldn't get too excited about Monacor
many drivers are very old designs

What is a old design? I know linearity, THD, Xmax, and TS parameters oldfasion?

from before internet
and prices are from back then too
in short, overpriced

but then, who knows what happens
prices seems to go up fast, in general, everywhere
It seems to me you never used a monacor driver. I use them because they aways have one I can use. I had to look more at scanspeak to I think now.

Last edited:
It's interesting the way we all have our own ideas of what constitutes a "reference" system. I'd like a super fancy B&C system, but I don't understand my attachment to this brand... It's like the way some people cling to Klipsch, or whomever.

That’s the beauty of this hobby :)

To me what’s considered a “reference” changes over time. Right now I think ScanSpeak has one of the strongest driver unit line-ups in the high-end segment, but that’s my opinion and according to my preferences. ;)

/Goran
Any news about your project?

I had a similar project as yours in mind and being a huge fan of scanspeak I had to admit to myself the 15h52 was the "one" for my 3-way ;)

I ended with this setup:

Raal 70-10 (If only I could get the 70-20XR!!!)
AT 15H52-06-13-SDKAM
ScanSpeak 8861T00
Expected cross freq: 300~400 / 3500~4000

Im working on it atm I'll let you know how these beauties sound together!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.