Sunvalley SV-S1616D [300B]

From past research on this the NOS 5AR4 typically last forever as long as they aren't broken to begin with. They are usually more robust as well.
I think AES has used ones for practically the same price as new (I bought an RCA labeled Mullard, made in GB).
That said both TS or Genalex would be fine choices.

I have the 8600s and am considering the S1616D. Does anyone have recommendations for rectifier tubes? I’d prefer to go new and am leaning towards the Tung Sol or the Genalex 5AR4 GZ34.
Please give us an 8600 S1616D compare and contrast write up after you spend some time listening to the S1616D I have not heard either. I gravitate to Tube Rectified and Point to Point wiring but like what's been said of the 8600's follow up act fully pimped out Amorphous core OPT's and silver AN cap 8900

RE: 5AR4 I only have an 1962 HH SCOTT made in USA GE tube. The tube has been solid and I feel no need to tube roll, replace or keep a spare NOS 5AR4 on hand. I'm happy with it and have nothing to complain about of it's sound

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forum...&sid=0a1abd05036bfc7e93383cdabb23101a#p462154

Reactions: 1 user
you cannot install AN silver cap . The wiring cannot support the weight of the cap..It is not for point to point application
You are talking $1400 for 4 caps.. I do not think these caps (Mundorf supreme silver/gold/oil, Duelund) are better than VCAP ODAM. VCAP ODAM is good and afforable.
4 X VCAP ODAM are installed in the assembled version. You can replace it very easily..

IF there is any good made in USA part, I will consider it first..
ie.. VCAP, Jupiter cap, and Western Electric 300B

Last edited:
I am aware of that, doesn't that require a greater level of skill. Especially if one wants it to look anything like your images, those are beautiful!

Can you comment on the sound when using KT170? I read that these are run in triode, 17 watts, but really haven't read any subjective description of doing this.