SUMO Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seriously, cloning this would be a waste. The sound of this amp is dictated by the chip being used as ultimately it is the comparator of input vs feedback + it's foibles.

There are far better chips available today including drop in replacements. Thie LF353 was a lower form of LF357 which had a strange 'popping bubbles' sound but, hey, that's my interpretation!

There are any number of superior chip to build an amp around today.

"Seriously, cloning this would be a waste. The sound of this amp is dictated by the chip being used as ultimately it is the comparator of input vs feedback + it's foibles. "

Perhaps you did not see the "for experimental use ".

An OPA2604 is a better sounding, drop in for the old LF series.

The designer likes the AD823 better, and gives tips on how to select for ±20V use.

I would like to see a hexfet version, APT makes some huge N-ch that look interesting.

Here is it'picture. Q16,Q17,Q18,Q19 near Tip31C

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,702
Hi Odysseyvn, All
thanks for the pics.

I do not see the op-amp in your board (I see only the
little holes). May be the four devices are a discrete
replacement of the LF412.
If so, I am very curious about how your Amp sounds.
And, I admit it, I am also a little envious.

Try asking to J.Bongiorno in the SAE_Talk forum.

I'm willing to make the basic pcb layout if there are some more interested in sharing experience with this circuit

Hi ACD,
if you'll make a PCB, I'll be happy to discuss with you and other guys interested in the subject, about
some improvements that work on the paper.

Do you intend to keep the original board measures ? If so, someone could be interested to purchase a couple of PCB.

bye
Federico

"Try asking to J.Bongiorno in the SAE_Talk forum."

I doubt he has seen this one, way after he left Sumo.

"I will replace by 'BB OPA2134'"

Do you have the equipment and the method to test for HV use? OPA2134 only rated for ±18V, needs to be selected for ±22V to insure a bit of headroom.

You have the board, odysseyvn.

why don't you trace down the schematic of your unit?

I did it last year with my unit as you certainly have seen
on the thread. It is a long job but, with a little patience and
the aid of my schematic, you can give us all a great piece of info.

bye
Federico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.