• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Fellas,

Just wanted to give an update on how the subbu V3 sounds after 10 hours of continuous play time. It sounds AMAZINGLY GOOD and also musically involving. It It nails all the audiophile cliche and I think it sounds better than most kilobuck DACs available in the market. ( I have not heard a lot but heard a few at audio salons but not in my system so take my word with a grain of salt).

The subbu V3 does not sound digital or analog, it has it's own character which I cannot put a word on (maybe clean but not sterile with good tonality).... It is musical in a sense that it conveys the meaning of the music very well.

Compared to my modded AN DAC 5, the DAC 5 is much more musical! (more emotional connection).Considering the price difference and time to tweak the dac 5 to where I want it to be. The subbu V3 is SPECIAL. Great Job Subbu and all the folks who were involved in making something special.

I hope I will not be out of topic. Since our friends asked about the Z audio cables, I asked my good friend Igor Paljar to elaborate further about his cable designs and he will chime in soon or maybe start his own thread. He builds each spiders for 60 hours. If I can describe the Z audio Spiders in one word is that they are " ALIVE ". Harmonics, timbre, rhythm, attack and tone are perfect. So real sounding....

Here are some pics along with the subbu V3 playing music...

For those who do not know, the ESS9023 is in the oppo103, a highly regarded component on the Audiophile market. The only thing I can see beating Subbu and Jean Paul's edition of the 9023 is their edition of the 9018:devilr:(which happens to be in the oppo105, another phenominal sounding piece of equipment.

Hi Gary,

Yes the cables are at the extreme. I had to move my equipments around to accommodate them...but they sound oh so good....:D

It's amazing how good the subbu v3 is sounding right now. This thing is a blessing. I have one more V3 that I'm thinking of putting a tube buffer stage.

Thanks

For those who do not know, the ESS9023 is in the oppo103, a highly regarded component on the Audiophile market. The only thing I can see beating Subbu and Jean Paul's edition of the 9023 is their edition of the 9018:devilr:(which happens to be in the oppo105, another phenominal sounding piece of equipment.

:superman::superman::devilr: that will probably be the perfect 9023 dac..oh lala.... can see myself dancing right now.... Please call it the V4...

Hello Everyone,

I am the author of the green Spiders.
Thanks for showing the interest for my creations:).Can I elaborate the concept in this thread or immediately open a new one?I can make a short description here if the authors kindly allow this and then perhaps open the new one if needed because don't want to contaminate the thread.
I haven't read the thread jet but it seems from your enthusiasm that there is born something very special:).Congratulations for your work.I am going to page 1 now to meet with your project.

Igor

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

Point is that optical devices are out of fashion to say the least. Let me think about the 9018.

It's amazing how good the subbu v3 is sounding right now. This thing is a blessing. I have one more V3 that I'm thinking of putting a tube buffer stage.

You are not the only one with that thought...however I feel it is good like it is. Maybe just maybe...

Hello Everyone,

I am the author of the green Spiders.
Thanks for showing the interest for my creations:)

Igor

Hi Igor, they look special indeed. A new thread is a wise thing to do if only to find it easier when searching later. Welcome here, it is a warm place for new creations. I think your cables will be met with skepticism but don't let that influence you. If they sound good they sound good no matter if their appearance is unusual.

Last edited:
Hi Igor,

Thank you for chiming in.... Thank you for making me a very special cable my friend... The digital spider cable you made me is making the subbu v3 something to love.

Thanks
Hi tubo,
I am happy that you gave the chance for auditioning the Spiders and you like them.I know that they are extreme in dimensions but the logic which resulted in such design told me that our accurately designed electronics deserve much more detailed cable elaboration to bring in/out of them the less possible corrupted signal from the microphony standpoint of view ,to complete the perfect chain of music.If we can pay attention on stands ,supports ,suspension ,spikes etc. then why don't pay attention on this part of chain which is in fact a physical part of it which contribute to overall sound which we perceive.There are so much variables in cable construction which are impossible to put together in some elegant tube construction ,without compromising the naturalness and ease with dynamics and low extension control without compression.I been working on matter for around 15 years and until this concept I was never completely satisfied about the result.I was never fully able to forget about highs ,lows and mids and listen only to the music like with actual design.They are huge and green but they vanish completely in my eyes when i hit the play button and I hope that they make the same effect on you ,which is the point of all this what we are doing.Emotions first of all:).

Hi Igor, they look special indeed. A new thread is a wise thing to do if only to find it easier when searching later. Welcome here, it is a warm place for new creations. I think your cables will be met with skepticism but don't let that influence you. If they sound good they sound good no matter if their appearance is unusual.

Hi jean-paul
Thanks for warm welcome and compliments.I just wanted to make something very special as we everybody do and because we are here in this place ,to share our ideas and thoughts.Sorry for contaminating the thread.I will transfer to another and please feel free to delete my posts if needed.

Igor

Point is that optical devices are out of fashion to say the least. Let me think about the 9018.

You are not the only one with that thought...however I feel it is good like it is. Maybe just maybe...

I listen to the Oppo through USB memory. DSD, Hi REs. NO worries and no spinning:)

,,,,,,,,,,Compared to my modded AN DAC 5, the DAC 5 is much more musical! (more emotional connection).........

It will be interesting to hear your opinion on this over time. I'm getting the impression the V3 is still improving after weeks of use. I know it's trite and overused, but 20 year old favorites sound expanded with newly discovered detail. (I'm still at the stock build)

I suspect "musical" often refers to mid-range presentation. Does that fit with your comparison?

It will be interesting to hear your opinion on this over time. I'm getting the impression the V3 is stquickll improving after weeks of use. I know it's trite and overused, but 20 year old favorites sound expanded with newly discovered detail. (I'm still at the stock build)

I suspect "musical" often rementioneds to mid-range presentation. Does that fit with your comparison?

Hello Bob,

You are very right. The V3 keeps getting better. I let them play all day yesterday and at 4am before getting to bed I had a q quick listen and the harmonics are starting to flesh out and it became smoother.

Musical to me is emotion. The system has to communicate to me the the essence/ intent of the music.I look for the realism in overtones, texture, tone color , dynamics and rhythm/flow which makes the music beautiful and expressive. The system should have the complete package from top to bottom nailing all the qualitues I mentioned above to elicit an emotional reaction/ involvement from me.I need to feel the pain, the anquish,the joy,the beauty, the emotion of the music. If there is no emotional involvement, I cannot call it musical.

Thanks

It will be interesting to get more reports on the length of the burn-in/flesh out/mellowing time period. My own view is that all dacs, amps etc. have a unique signature at optimum that might encourage folks to own more than one of each, but the V3 is certainly headed in the right direction. ;)

It will be interesting to get more reports on the length of the burn-in/flesh out/mellowing time period. My own view is that all dacs, amps etc. have a unique signature at optimum that might encourage folks to own more than one of each, but the V3 is certainly headed in the right direction. ;)

Hi Bob,

One can certainly cannot go wrong with the V3. Its very very good. I love mine.

Sorry for going out of topic! Are you familiar with Hawthorne audio down in Marshall Michigan? My visited Hawthorne Audio and we had a blast, can't wait to visit again.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.