Stage Accompany: the end or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK.
I think Webbie has convinced all of us that Stage Accompany is still there (and that we will in future still have possibilities to enjoy the great planar tweeters that they make - which is the reason why this thread was opened in the chapter "planars and exotics").

Thanks a lot Webbie for the update and info on this new product.

I was interested at some stage in a 4ohm diaph for the SA 8535 since my (passive Xovered and monamplified) system yields more than a 100dB at 4ohms.

I am now using "big boys" compression drivers for the 2kHz-20khz (JBL 2445, Mccauley 9620). They are 16 ohms and I'm using autoformers in reverse mode (yes...reverse mode) to increase at the higher frequencies the signal from the amp and thus equalise the response in UHF area of these big boys. i love their impact and realism (4" diaphragms) in the treble as they recreate very well percussions, wind instruments etc.

It's probably time for me to try also my sa 8535 12ohm drivers with this signal increase set up (+ 6dB will suffice I guess, no equalising needed).

Hello Bear,

Care to explain what the history is/was with (I think it was) "Rooster"?

I think you referring to the "Ribbon Rooster" site.

Between the last bankruptcy and the restart of Stage Accompany, Alcons brought the "Rooster Ribbon" site up and running. Probably to attract the SA customers to Alcons. The ribbon driver shown on their site is the SA8535, but painted in grey instead of the SA blue.

Fortunately, many SA customers remained loyal to SA and did not make the step to Alcons.

The Alcons ribbon drivers have a higher output then the original SA8535, but as always, there's no free lunch.
The Alcons ribbon drivers don't sound so good and accurate as the SA8535.

As earlier said in this tread, Alcons won't sell their ribbon drivers separate.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
app.png

Greetz Webbie..

Hello Elac,

Thanks a lot Webbie for the update and info on this new product.

I was interested at some stage in a 4ohm diaph for the SA 8535 since my (passive Xovered and monamplified) system yields more than a 100dB at 4ohms.

I am now using "big boys" compression drivers for the 2kHz-20khz (JBL 2445, Mccauley 9620). They are 16 ohms and I'm using autoformers in reverse mode (yes...reverse mode) to increase at the higher frequencies the signal from the amp and thus equalise the response in UHF area of these big boys. i love their impact and realism (4" diaphragms) in the treble as they recreate very well percussions, wind instruments etc.

It's probably time for me to try also my sa 8535 12ohm drivers with this signal increase set up (+ 6dB will suffice I guess, no equalising needed).

The sound with the SA8535 will be far better then with compression drivers.

One of the reasons some people dislike a ribbon driver is that they're missing something in the sound the ribbon produces.
And that's correct, they're missing the harshness and distortion of the compression driver ;-)

The other reason why people don't like the ribbon sound is that they think the output of the ribbon driver is far less then that of a compression driver.
A system with lots of distortion in the mids and highs gives you the idea that that system is producing far more dB's (and in that believ sounding better)!
A ribbon equiped system stays free of distortion even at very loud levels and gives the listener the idea that the set isn't playing loud (until you grab your dB-meter and start measuring).
That's why you can listening for hours and hours to a SA ribbon loaded cabinet (without the distortion) without going to feel tired after awhile (what is the main reason of my ribbon-addiction).

Because of the above mentioned reasons a SA ribbon loaded cabinet sounds "how music should sound", without distortion and with dynamics.

(It's still a pitty a lot of youngsters like the sound of a heavily compressed song (loudness war) which leaves no room for dynamics.
The only thing they care about is how hard the song will blast out of their mobile devices. Many youngsters don't know how music should sound!)

One of these days I will order a set of tri-amped M59's equiped with hornless SA8535's.

A couple of months ago I've had a listening session with some German High-End guys at the residence of SA in Ridderkerk.
At that demo were two Master Series enclosures demonstrated, the M57 and M59.
I've allready heard the M57 before, and was then in my opinion the best sounding enclosure of Stage Accompany.
After hearing the M59, everyone was blown away of the sound of the enclosures.

Honest, I've never heard a more impressive demo then the M59 demo.
(The M59 were powered with three SA HE50 amps totaling 15.000 watts, that's a lot of headroom :) )

TechDoc M59

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Greetz Webbie...

Last edited:
haha. I feel like a child with my modest 1200W per channel.
But point taken.
I have some obviously uncompressed sound recordings of classical music and I can easily burn a few hundred watts on this kind of recordings even on 100+ dB sensitivity speakers.
I like this one in praticular (Schubert - Songs for male chorus, ed Telarc):
61vZ7fwSAPL.jpg

As to technologies of HF reproducers, I do like both the SA8535 and my "big boys" compression drivers. Different schools, different styles, but impressive and effective results in both cases. SA8535 is particulalry smooth on classical music. As I said, I need to try the SA8535 with the boost solution. I'm sure it'll be interesting, to say the least.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
with or without ?

Hello Elac,

The sound with the SA8535 will be far better then with compression drivers.

One of the reasons some people dislike a ribbon driver is that they're missing something in the sound the ribbon produces.
And that's correct, they're missing the harshness and distortion of the compression driver ;-)

The other reason why people don't like the ribbon sound is that they think the output of the ribbon driver is far less then that of a compression driver.
A system with lots of distortion in the mids and highs gives you the idea that that system is producing far more dB's (and in that believ sounding better)!
A ribbon equiped system stays free of distortion even at very loud levels and gives the listener the idea that the set isn't playing loud (until you grab your dB-meter and start measuring).
That's why you can listening for hours and hours to a SA ribbon loaded cabinet (without the distortion) without going to feel tired after awhile (what is the main reason of my ribbon-addiction).

Because of the above mentioned reasons a SA ribbon loaded cabinet sounds "how music should sound", without distortion and with dynamics.

(It's still a pitty a lot of youngsters like the sound of a heavily compressed song (loudness war) which leaves no room for dynamics.
The only thing they care about is how hard the song will blast out of their mobile devices. Many youngsters don't know how music should sound!)

One of these days I will order a set of tri-amped M59's equiped with hornless SA8535's.

A couple of months ago I've had a listening session with some German High-End guys at the residence of SA in Ridderkerk.
At that demo were two Master Series enclosures demonstrated, the M57 and M59.
I've allready heard the M57 before, and was then in my opinion the best sounding enclosure of Stage Accompany.
After hearing the M59, everyone was blown away of the sound of the enclosures.

Honest, I've never heard a more impressive demo then the M59 demo.
(The M59 were powered with three SA HE50 amps totaling 15.000 watts, that's a lot of headroom :) )

TechDoc M59

Greetz Webbie...

Greetings back to you, Sir Webbie:
I gather you have listened to both versions of said 8535. Do you prefer the naked version as opposed to the horn loaded (or waveguide?)
I ask in reference to home listening only. Thanks for any input/ ideas you have.

"...and nice distorted bass/mids. I love it. "

Hmmmm....
Some people do love distorsion in some cirucmstances (guitar players etc.), not sure this is want you wanted to say...
"UNdistorted bass/mids" maybe ? :)

Those 18" wbins and 4512's have certainly some colour to them.
For raves this is perfect as it gives you a certain kind of rawness to the kicks. More modern PA systems are much cleaner and are less liked in the underground scene.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
After further review

I looked at the tech pdf for the 8535. The wave guided version is not suitable for me. No wonder all these years I have been trying different values of in-line capacitors to smooth out the response,even though being driven by an active crossover.

I plan on removing the waveguides and building a rock solid baffle plate for them.

SA 8535, still in use 12 years after purchase :)

Hello TiefBass....

One of the former developers of the SA ribbon drivers, Philip de Haan, works at Alcons as developer.
Ben Kok works now as an accoustic engineer, he designs studio rooms and halls where the accoustics are important.

I presume that the Alcons ribbons are good alternatives for the SA 8535.
Unfortunally the Alcons ribbons are not sold seperatly.

On the other hand, SA isn't death yet, some people of SA are starting to build the SA 8535 (and folies) and woofers again.

Also complete enclosures.

After New Year I post the details.

Greetz Webbie...
Are this already some years old news currently still correct ?

Hello Bear,

I think you referring to the "Ribbon Rooster" site.

Between the last bankruptcy and the restart of Stage Accompany, Alcons brought the "Rooster Ribbon" site up and running. Probably to attract the SA customers to Alcons. The ribbon driver shown on their site is the SA8535, but painted in grey instead of the SA blue.

Fortunately, many SA customers remained loyal to SA and did not make the step to Alcons.

The Alcons ribbon drivers have a higher output then the original SA8535, but as always, there's no free lunch.
The Alcons ribbon drivers don't sound so good and accurate as the SA8535.

As earlier said in this tread, Alcons won't sell their ribbon drivers separate.

app.png

Greetz Webbie..
Interesting information. What are the exactly differences (both from the technical view and the audible differences in sonic character) between Alcons Audio's RBN401 - go to
alcons audio - evolutionary audio solutions ®
and the SA8535 ??
Thank you for your advices.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.