• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE first build, caps and other questions.

The hexfreds can affect the circuit even when switched out but they shouldn't affect the voltages on the rectifier heaters if they are switched out.
Are all your resistance readings still reading ok according to the checkout procedure?
No harm in disconnecting the yellow transformer 5VAC wires and checking the voltage there.

Electronics and Analytical Thinking

So much for thinking it is the transformer. I unplugged wires for the rectifier switch. Redid Ty's for dummies checklist. The resistance always did checkout right(after I straightened out the ground).
Rectifier socket pin 2, heater reads 3.7 against s/b 5.
Pins 4and6 read 411 and 409.
Heater pins for the other three sockets read 6.2 against s/b 6.3.

Should I find what was causing snafu or go to tubes and speakers?

And THANK YOU for helping.

As AC/DC Said Let There Be Music

Sooooo, installed tubes ( 12at7 is extremely tight), wired some speakers, plugged in mp3 player and switched it on.

Power tubes and 12at7 glowed nicely. Rectifier tube got warm.
Mp3 player is sending signals (meter shows fluctuating current).
Started with volume control off, gradually turning up. Not a peep ( better than bang).
Current at T1 yellow one wire is 3.7 v and the other is .7 v.

How long is "normal" for amp to warm up? I only let it warm up 2-3 minutes.

Still waiting for my 18 year old.

Yes. Thats what im trying to get at. The readings of 3.7 v etc. are to ground and you seem to have a problem with the reference to ground on that winding. Mine reads 5v across the pins but also reads 5v between pin 2 and ground. I'm not sure though, looking at the schematic, what that means.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes. The green yellow is just the centre tap for the 6.3 volts. That is not used.
I don't know what the shielded gray is for.
In any case is looks like you have 5 volts across pin 2 and pin 8 which should be giving you your full heater voltage as far as I can see.

I don't know if the different reading to ground is significant or not.
Can you check if you have a full DC B+ voltage (around 400 VDC) between the choke connector and ground. Amp turned on with all tubes in?