Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

The one that Soundcheck and Tallnick has been reviewed against a couple of others and is said to have a bit more sound quality compared to the others. The others being a Channel Islands and Welborne Labs one. This said, he didn't think there was much of a difference between all three to warrant buying one over the other, other than to say to buy whatever one seems most logical/cost efficient, etc. That one Soundcheck/Tallnick use are both very much so cost efficient vs. the others out there and I don't think one can get such a great noticeable difference between it and even the grand daddy of all power supplies.

Why not use batteries?

I'm using batteries. ;)

The Touch though draws quite some current.
I have it hooked up to my 100Ah very low ESR Northstar. (I still had it around, it used to feed my 1543 DAC)
The prices for those batteries really skyrocketed over the last years.

Perhaps a smaller LiPoFe4 would do very well.

However. You guys should try the Hammond choke ( see my HW blog) mod in
front of the Touch. It's not expensive. I honestly would put more focus on that one and some fat Nichicons or similar then buying a 250$ PS.

Cheers

On some other forum some guy really had a good result using the 'Felix' power filter in front
of the linear supply of a squeezebox (see here). Maybe that also works for the Touch?

(BTW the Amazon.de price of the Touch is pretty good today)

I'm pretty sure it''ll work. My Hammond solution looks pretty simlar.

However. Interesting to me is that he mentions that the filter works best with the switching supply, better then all other solutions such as linear supply +filter!

We're back to the issue: "Switching supplies YES - if done right!"

Last edited:
If you check the SqueezeBox Wiki you'll find that Auto Uplink or Auto MDIX has been a standard feature for many generations of SqueezeBox.
No X-over cable is needed.
Larry
Could you point out where in the wiki it says that because that's not what I found. At Network Design - SqueezeboxWiki

it says: "The ethernet cable between the Squeezebox and the wired device should be a crossover cable for all models of Squeezebox except the Squeezebox Receiver (which has an auto-sensing ethernet port)."

and also

"If you didn't require Internet access, you could connect your primary computer's network interface card (NIC) directly to the SliMP3/Squeezebox/2/3 using a crossover cable. (The ethernet port in the Squeezebox Receiver is auto-sensing, so a crossover cable is optional here.)"

I searched the thread and read Sound check's blog, but I couldn't find reference to moving the clock(s?) to an external DAC for properly synchronous reclocking just prior to the analog conversion. I remember this was doeable with the old squeezebox, is it feasible with the Touch or is there a single oscillator which synthetically creats 44.1khz multiple timing?

Also saw the mention of upgrading to a linear power supply but are there switching regs inside the touch or dc-dc converters post external power supply ?

Thanks

Since the introduction of the Duet, the ethernet port on the Squeeze Box has added + Auto Uplink (Auto MDIX) ."
The networking area of the Wiki has appparently not been updated since prior to that time.
At any event, both the Touch and the Duet include the feature of Auto Uplink (Auto MDIX) . (X-over cable not required)
Larry

Fan ***** tastic

Just installed the toolbox and wow, what an improvement ! has mae as much of a leap forward as changing an amplifier and sounds like a net curtain has been removed from the soundstage. Dead chuffed and donation on its way.

Now looking at what more I might do (within reason as I've no knowledge of things too technical). The two options that seem popular are PSUs and moving away from WLAN.

On the former I had tried a high spec linear PSU (5v, 3A) when I had a SB3 and noticed no readily discernible difference. So I sold it. Is the Touch a different prospect ?

I need to run wireless as my server (Vortexbox) is upstairs from the stereo. But it seems there may be some benefit in putting a wireless bridge downstairs which can be ethernet cabled to the the Touch. I understand that it's not so much the limitations of the WLAN itself, but the benefit is in being able to turn the WLAN function off on the Touch. If so what model bridge do people recommend - there seems to be so much debate on here ?

Thanks again for a great Toolbox.

Stuck with connection

I'd installed many of the v3 mods a few weeks ago to great effect. So thought I'd try getting a wireless bridge and dispense with the WLAN setting too. So I've bought a Buffalo NFiniti and installed it. I then accessed the Touch firmware again and disabled the WLAN function, then plugged an ethernet cable between the Buffalo and Touch. But now I can't see the Touch on the network at all. The Buffalo status shows a connection between the Bridge and my BT Homehub 2 but I can no longer access the Touch via WinSCP. I've tried replugging the cables and switching power to the Touch off and on to no avail.
Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong ?
Thanks

The buffalo is probably providing the touch with a new ip adres. Check the new ip adres on the touch.
if possible disable dhcp on the buffalo and make sure the buffalo is in the same ip range as the rest of your network.

I'd installed many of the v3 mods a few weeks ago to great effect. So thought I'd try getting a wireless bridge and dispense with the WLAN setting too. So I've bought a Buffalo NFiniti and installed it. I then accessed the Touch firmware again and disabled the WLAN function, then plugged an ethernet cable between the Buffalo and Touch. But now I can't see the Touch on the network at all. The Buffalo status shows a connection between the Bridge and my BT Homehub 2 but I can no longer access the Touch via WinSCP. I've tried replugging the cables and switching power to the Touch off and on to no avail.
Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong ?
Thanks

Back in again - realised I had to make sure the 'Connect via Ethernet' option was set on the Touch first ! So factory reset and start again . . .

All done but I'm a little confused about the tt -s status check shown using Putty. I have :

For private and non commercial use only! Use at your own risk!

Modification WLAN: disabled
Modification Watchdog: enabled
Modification Jive2: enabled
Modification Buffer: enabled
Unknown HZ value! (94) Assume 100.
Buffersize: 3400us
Modification Display: enabled
Display current status: off
Audio outputs: Digital: active
Modification Kernel: enabled
Modification Priority: Unknown HZ value! (94) Assume 100.
enabled
Modification hosts: enabled
Modification TCP/IP: enabled
Modification Infrared: enabled
Modification Vollock: disabled

Now, does this mean, for example, that the 'Modification Infrared' is disabled (ie that Soundcheck's intended modification to disable it is disabled, meaning that Infrared is ON) or that the Infrared id disabled, meaning it is OFF ?
Very unclear . . .

Sorry - I mis-stated the last para. Should have been . . .

Now, does this mean, for example, that the 'Modification Infrared' is enabled (ie that Soundcheck's intended modification to disable it is enabled, meaning that Infrared is OFF) or that the Infrared is enabled, meaning it is ON ?
Very unclear . . .

Can anyone answer this . . .

I'm a little confused about the tt -s status check shown using Putty. I have :

Modification WLAN: disabled
Modification Watchdog: enabled
Modification Jive2: enabled
Modification Buffer: enabled
Unknown HZ value! (94) Assume 100.
Buffersize: 3400us
Modification Display: enabled
Display current status: off
Audio outputs: Digital: active
Modification Kernel: enabled
Modification Priority: Unknown HZ value! (94) Assume 100.
enabled
Modification hosts: enabled
Modification TCP/IP: enabled
Modification Infrared: enabled
Modification Vollock: disabled

Now, does this mean, for example, that the 'Modification Infrared' is enabled (ie that Soundcheck's intended modification to disable it is enabled, meaning that Infrared is OFF) or that the Infrared is enabled, meaning it is ON ?
Very unclear . . .

Thanks

Thanks - although I must say that's a really confusing way to record the status. It would be far clearer to just have the actual status of the setting shown.
But to add to the confusion the settings I displayed show the modification for WLAN is OFF. By the same logic that would mean the WLAN was actually ON.
My Touch is wired into an ethernet bridge and the Touch connection setting set to Ethernet, not Wireless - could it be that WLAN is still running ?