• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
And for some reason, we still have the second comma in the title. Mind you the title says nothing about punctuation so...

Isn't the rule that you can only leave out the comma before the and only if your list comprises 2 elements? ie we have 3 so the comma after capitalization is correct....

dave

oops... an on topic post (hope it doesn't head off to texas :))

I cannot find my Strunk and White, but I am pretty sure they agree with me.

Apparently though, there is some debate on this issue. From the Wikipedia topic of serial comma:

The Times once published this description of a Peter Ustinov documentary: "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector."[11] This is ambiguous as it stands, but even if a serial comma were added Mandela could still be mistaken for a demigod (and possibly still as a dildo collector).

Hope that clears up things for people.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
spelling was comprised of capitalization and grammar
To be pedantic (in keeping with the spirit of this thread), one shouldn't use 'comprised of'. The wording could be either 'spelling comprised capitalization . . ' or 'spelling was composed of capitalization . . .'

If we're having all these arguments about serial commas, just think what parallel commas would be like :xeye:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
unfortunate domain names

This is probably as good a place as any for these

dave

Someone wasn't thinking when they came up with these domain names. All of these are legitimate companies that didn't spend quite enough time considering how their online names might appear -- and -- be misread. Authentic -- check them out yourself!

"Who Represents" is where you can find the name of the agent that represents any celebrity. Their Website is:
www.whorepresents.com

Experts Exchange is a knowledge base where programmers can exchange advice and views at:
www.expertsexchange.com

Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island at:
www.penisland.net

Need a therapist? Try Therapist Finder at:
www.therapistfinder.com

There's the Italian Power Generator company:
www.powergenitalia.com

And don't forget the Mole Station Native Nursery in New South Wales:
www.molestationnursery.com

The First Cumming Methodist Church Web site is:
www.cummingfirst.com

And the designers at Speed of Art await you at their wacky Web site:
www.speedofart.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.