• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seriously, I just think that it's not too much asking to reply and help to those who have less-than-perfect writing skills, because they seek knowledge, and that in itself is commendable (if as one reader said before, they aren't asking for the answer on a silver plate, man I can see a pun right here!). HOWEVER, we should not digress (I think that's the right word) from correcting them, or at least politely pointing out their error(s).
Right?

Or does this attitude convey the message: "I know how to write and you don't so I'm correcting you whether you like it or not" ?

Seriously this thread is not a thread anymore, it's a ******* rope!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
gain-wire said:
Seriously, I just think that it's not too much asking to reply and help to those who have less-than-perfect writing skills, because they seek knowledge, and that in itself is commendable.

I'll start by noting that you took the trouble to phrase your thoughts grammatically, spell correctly, and capitalize where appropriate. And that, I think, strikes to the heart of the problem. You wanted people to take your post seriously and to respond, so you made it possible for them to quickly understand your thoughts without equivocation. You might well have paused a little before framing each sentence. I don't see why a supplicant should expect help if they make it hard for someone to understand their question. If, they are 'ow you say? writing English as their second language then I'll do my best to work out what they meant and gently correct their English in order to assist them.

What really gets my goat is the questioner who effectively asks, "I've got two unsuitable valves but I'm determined to use them and I want you to tell me how to use them to do what I want."

ED8010 said:

What really gets my goat is the questioner who effectively asks, "I've got two unsuitable valves but I'm determined to use them and I want you to tell me how to use them to do what I want."
Me too - drives me crazy when they say valve instead of tube.

gain-wire, the word you want is not digress; refrain will do it, but perhaps you wanted something more forceful?

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus said:
Me too - drives me crazy when they say valve instead of tube.

EC8010 said:
If I'm not allowed to say "valve", I'm sure I'm not allowed to talk about goats on a family forum. :D

EC: :) You have to forgive those poor unfortunates who cannot write the Queens' English correctly. Those unfortunates think that the use of the term "vacuum tube" (or "electron tube"), to represent a correctly termed "thermionic valve" (or just valve), should be adopted by everyone else in the world. Like "aluminum" and "nucular". :)

But seriously, there are some differences in English language usage between countries, which I don't have a problem with. I do have a problem with txt spk, which, un42n8ly seems to be taking over on some forums. I just hope it doesn't get a beach-head here - I think people who have English as a second language have enough trouble using ostensibly 'normal' English without the trouble of trying to understand all the confusing abbreviations used by the short message service 'texting' community.

Cloth Ears said:
You have to forgive those poor unfortunates who cannot write the Queens' English correctly.

Perhaps a shallow army joke allowed along that line:

Dialogue between an M.O. and a recruit:
M.O.: How are your bowels working?
Rec: Havn't been issued with any, sir.
M.O.: I mean, are you constipated?
Rec: No sir, I volunteered.
M.O.: Heavens man, don't you know the King's English?
Rec: No sir, is he?

(from Ambrosia and Small Beer, by Edward Marsh)

Cloth Ears said:

EC: :) You have to forgive those poor unfortunates who cannot write the Queens' English correctly. Those unfortunates think that the use of the term "vacuum tube" (or "electron tube"), to represent a correctly termed "thermionic valve" (or just valve), should be adopted by everyone else in the world. Like "aluminum" and "nucular". :)

But seriously, there are some differences in English language usage between countries, which I don't have a problem with. I do have a problem with txt spk, which, un42n8ly seems to be taking over on some forums. I just hope it doesn't get a beach-head here - I think people who have English as a second language have enough trouble using ostensibly 'normal' English without the trouble of trying to understand all the confusing abbreviations used by the short message service 'texting' community.

Wht do u mean, hrd 2 undrstnd? Txng is ez 2 :)

SY said:
You mistake the Deep South for the entire US. It would be like attributing East London pronunciation to all of Britain.

re: nucular

It's not only the deep south, it's all over - to the extent that some dictionaries have taken to listing that pronunciation (Websters' do and then say that it's because people pronouce it that way, not because it's correct). It's like 'punkin' instead of pumpkin and 'aks' instead of ask. I reckon it's a matter of education, not location - and by education I don't mean how much, but how much was imprinted on the brain.

And, what do I need a Tardis for? I plan on doing a Woody Allen and being immortal by 'not dying'. :D

Would You Laugh said:
Wht do u mean, hrd 2 undrstnd? Txng is ez 2 :)

Pardon me, Would You Laugh, but I'm not sure I get your drift there... :angel:

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Cloth Ears said:

re: nucular

It's not only the deep south, it's all over - to the extent that some dictionaries have taken to listing that pronunciation (Websters' do and then say that it's because people pronouce it that way, not because it's correct). It's like 'punkin' instead of pumpkin and 'aks' instead of ask. I reckon it's a matter of education, not location - and by education I don't mean how much, but how much was imprinted on the brain.

Forget America. Think of New Zealand!

mach1 said:
A very good cure for claustrophobia indeed. However, Peri remains the pinnacle in my pantheon of pubescent phantasies...

I'm showing my age a bit (Cover it up!), but Nyssa (Sarah Sutton) and the second Romana (Lalla Ward) were fighting it out at the terminus of the teeming throngs of my teenage trances.

If we're into alliteration, I thought I'd try my hand...as it were.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Cloth Ears said:
I'm showing my age a bit (Cover it up!), but Nyssa (Sarah Sutton) and the second Romana (Lalla Ward) were fighting it out at the terminus of the teeming throngs of my teenage trances.

I'll second Nyssa; absolutely gorgeous. I got into the lift once at Television Centre and there she was in that maroon catsuit, absolutely tiny, barely came up to my elbow let alone shoulder.

I think we'll have to allow dialect spelling of "aluminium" and "valve" although I'm not so sure about "nucular" (a bit too much like "Ingerland"). Imagine if we banned all technologies/materials that had more than one spelling or pronunciation. We wouldn't be able to make valve/toob amplifiers and would be forced to use silicon (but build them on steel chassis, rather than aluminium/aloominum), dimensions would be in yards rather than metres/meters. We'd ride horses because cars running on petrol/gas wouldn't be feasible and nuclear/nucular power would finally be banned but Friends/buddys of the Earth wouldn't be able to celebrate because they'd also be banned. We'd be Amish!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.