• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, let me tell you about a story...

Some time ago I wrote a resumen for a company. I used a wordprocessor with integrated english corrector.
I typed: "...working on war-ships..."
the corrector ... corrected:" working and worship"...:bigeyes:
I corrected back... "...war-ships..." and the corrector again "... worships..." :whazzat:
... I see, corrected again " ... warships..." the corrector accepted this... :rolleyes:

After few months a company wrote me a letter asking what is the job of a man working in a "warsheep" possibly a militar shepherd?

The letter was accompanied with my resumen and the ...warsheep... was yellow evidenced and red underlined...
Try to live abroad a make a resumen stating that you speak english fluently and correctly... who's gonna believe ya...

:dead: :bawling:

I reckon it's a matter of education, not location

Have to disagree with you there. I've never heard anyone from north of the Mason-Dixon line say "nucular," and contrariwise, we had a president a few years back who graduated top in his class at the Naval Academy with a nuclear engineering degree who (being a good ol' boy from Georgia) would always say, "nucular."

EC8010 said:
Two questions: Which word processor kept substituting religious terms for "warship", Word Perfect? (Written by Mormons). And, what's a resumen? It's not in my Shorter Oxford Dictionary. Is it what others term a Curriculum Vitae?

Yes, a resumen, I can't recall the terms comes from, but the meaning is like a curriculum vitae or a presentation letter, I suppose. In other terms... spam. :D

I think it comes from latin and is used commonly in industrial tough language. Indeed, the term is not in the Oxford dictionary, but you can find it in the American Heritage Dictionary...

The wordprocessor is Word... yes, but... an Italian version... and off course it is impredictable... :devilr:

Did Mormons mess with wordprocessors too? :bigeyes:

Nonetheless, this version is as impredictable in italian language...
But italians say that those I'm used to are tipically anglo-saxon culture mistakes... :bawling:

Have to disagree with you there. I've never heard anyone from north of the Mason-Dixon line say "nucular," and contrariwise, we had a president a few years back who graduated top in his class at the Naval Academy with a nuclear engineering degree who (being a good ol' boy from Georgia) would always say, "nucular."

Jimmy Carter likes to overstate his achievements a bit, but he did graduate 59th in his class. He got a Bachelor of Science degree, although I rather doubt there was nucular engineering program at the Naval Academy in the mid 'forties. His own logic was that he had a general engineering degree + he was selected for nucular submarine service = he's a nucular engineer.

John

about those nucular subs

I almost hate to point this out but.........

Many years ago when I was a student in physics at a university in the northeast. I was required to attend numerous colloquia and lectures in all topics of physics including nuclear physics. The guest lecturers were from all over the country including at least one from Texas. Among professionals in the field, "nuclear" (the spelling and pronunciation) was universally used. Not only that but the term nucular was always reserved for use as a derisive, mocking term. Mostly used in phases like "I saw a nucular expert from the government describe how the star wars shield will be impenetrable". Remember, this was 1982. It was also used to describe people such as anti-nucular energy protesters and people who were sure putting nucular energy sources in satellites would cause the world to be destroyed by a "huge nucular explosion on the sun".

(I am not a nuclear scientist don't ask me if this is still going on)

At any rate I suspect that every time the president speaks about that peculiar from of energy nuclear scientists and engineers all over the country cringe

P.S. my copy of Microsoft Word keeps instisting that nucular is not a word and Microsoft is never wrong

:bigeyes: Microsoft is never wrong?

Well, this is pointless...

I love this thread...
You can't immagine how I'm enjoing it... :devilr:
You don't know why... but I really do! :D

May I tell you all, a little story about english misuse? May I dare?

I'll do.
I was working in the middle east, on a plant, an arabic electrician asked me some help about an electronic temperature regulator. He told me I was the best of the west while he was the beast of the east, just to say, he was completely unable to understand a word about the instructions on how to make the object working. Obviosly, I was the real best of the west availlable, and I was so convinced of that title. So, I started just pushing bottons awile reading those clumsy instructions... as usual... But somenthing was wrong. I could read and understand the words but not a bit of what the sentence was meaning. I'm used to work with USA or UK made equipment but that was really strange, english was not so correct but the matter was I was not able to understand wat was written there. So, after some time, backed the "beast of the east" grinning, just to say "you are not so best as you look".He took the cellular phone and called the manufacturer of the curse toy. Then gave me the phone to ask for information on how to program that damn thing.
No way... The guy's language sounded as english but it was absolutely criptic... by the way I was starting to become a little altered, so an italian workman told me somenthing, and I answered, the criptic guy at the phone heard me talking italian and started to speak to me in italian, he was from Italy... I thought he was arabic... Everithing started clear out, just translate everything back, word by word from english to italian using the first word in the vocabulary and italian grammar rules. That was the way they had translated those instructions...
And I could really read that, but I needed the "code" for decripting.:D
Isn't that funny. :clown:
Cheers.

P.S. This time Mormons did'nt mess with the software. :devilr:

First sustained nuclear... sorry, nucular experiment was made in 1942, so in the mid forties there should been, some nucular engineers working on it. You probably mistake nucular with newclear energy and newclear engineer. Those are really recent graduated engineers

Yes, but Carter wasn't involved in any of this, and the subject of my post was his career at Annapolis. You may correct me if I'm wrong, but up until the 'thirties or so, when a cadet graduated from one of our military academies, all he got for his four years' work was an officer's commission. They then began awarding a general "engineering" degree, or "Bachelor of Science" degree, so graduates could pursue post-graduate work at other schools. Unlike other universities, there were no separate engineering degrees such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, etc. The did have separate schools such as "infantry school" and "artillery school", however.

John

jlsem said:

Yes, but Carter wasn't involved in any of this, and the subject of my post was his career at Annapolis. You may correct me if I'm wrong, but up until the 'thirties or so, when a cadet graduated from one of our military academies, all he got for his four years' work was an officer's commission. They then began awarding a general "engineering" degree, or "Bachelor of Science" degree, so graduates could pursue post-graduate work at other schools. Unlike other universities, there were no separate engineering degrees such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, etc. The did have separate schools such as "infantry school" and "artillery school", however.

John

Off course you are right, I was just playing, all I know about president Carter is his involvement with peanuts affairs... and newclear is not a new greenish ambientalistic real degree... or is it? :D

Please, never take me seriuosly... :whazzat:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
To hyphenate or not, that is the question.

Well, dash it all! I like hyphens (or dashes); although I sometimes use a semi-colon instead. I think London Transport was merely covering its options by promising "More late night buses."

Oh and another rant: "The government have promised..." Excuse me? "The government has promised." Unless you're French, you only have one government.

I am frequently perplexed by news readers saying something like "the hostages were executed" when they mean "murdered" (only a lawful killing can be an execution, if such a thing exists).

And also, "a man was found hanged in his bedroom" when they mean "hanging". Only in an execution can someone be "hanged". If it's suicide, or accidental, it's "hanging", or "hung".

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Jack C. said:
"Unless you're French, you only have one government." ??
I didn't know we had more than one government...j

Our understanding is that your government is such a loose coalition that you have two governments fighting one another. Of course, I could be wrong, and your government might disagree.

Hanged/hanging: Are you sure being hanged has to be an execution? Can't it be suicide or murder? In which case, finding a man hanged in his bedroom is rather more specific than finding a man hung (possibly knifed to death then hung on a coathook). I'm with you on the hostage murder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.