Speaker wire ......... Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audiophilenoob said:
either way... even the greatest audiophile "names" say there's little difference between the two mediums... quite a bit different than what you say the difference is

Point me to where I posted that.
I just didn't agree your point of view that CD is much superior to vinyl.
I enjoy listening to vinyl and CD on my setup.
The two formats have their faults, but both can sound quite good.
Vinyl sounds more natural in the treble, as is also the case with good DVD-A recordings (specially stereo 24bit/192Khz).

Re: If we have to go this low...

What I dont understand is how come you did not tell us about all these deficiencies and it sounds like there is no bass and a termination glitch? I would have been very unhappy if I had taken your words and bought one with all these serious issues going on with them... and no bass.... "good effort" is hardly a good review... For someone who claims to know so much you sure arent giving us a very accurate assessment of these speakers... Maybe your hearing isnt to good anymore

main cone termination 'glitch' at 750Hz
in the midbass (there's no low bass here) and still rather lean in the upper bass. Both the broad midband and the treble are significantly smoother than the ES11, but extending the upper roll-off point of the main driver has made the transition between them rather more abrupt.

Sound Quality
came out about average overall - the most popular comment was "a good effort"

a touch of brightness and 'nasal' voice coloration does intrude towards the top end of the band. And while the bass end has good punch, it lacks some weight and dynamic contrast - the intended matching stand might help here.

Re: Re: If we have to go this low...

carlosfm said:

Point me to where I posted that.
I just didn't agree your point of view that CD is much superior to vinyl.
I enjoy listening to vinyl and CD on my setup.
The two formats have their faults, but both can sound quite good.
Vinyl sounds more natural in the treble, as is also the case with good DVD-A recordings (specially stereo 24bit/192Khz).

rnrss said:
What I dont understand is how come you did not tell us about all these deficiencies and it sounds like there is no bass and a termination glitch? I would have been very unhappy if I had taken your words and bought one with all these serious issues going on with them... and no bass.... "good effort" is hardly a good review... For someone who claims to know so much you sure arent giving us a very accurate assessment of these speakers... Maybe your hearing isnt to good anymore

main cone termination 'glitch' at 750Hz
in the midbass (there's no low bass here) and still rather lean in the upper bass. Both the broad midband and the treble are significantly smoother than the ES11, but extending the upper roll-off point of the main driver has made the transition between them rather more abrupt.

Sound Quality
came out about average overall - the most popular comment was "a good effort"

a touch of brightness and 'nasal' voice coloration does intrude towards the top end of the band. And while the bass end has good punch, it lacks some weight and dynamic contrast - the intended matching stand might help here.

a review of average from any magazine from anywhere is not something I would want said about a speaker I own

Audiophilenoob said:

I use a USB to my preamp from the HD, I could use a digital out as well if I feel like it, 250 GB external
--------------
secondly... if people need things pointed out in AB tests those count as minor differences... or non-existant differences because they can easily be influenced to "hear" something
--------------
that everyone should worry first about speakers, room, and source.... before they go and mess with anything thing else
---------------
if the speakers are the best you can come up with they will only be magnified by having the "right" amps on them and the "right preamps" on them, wires, etc....
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
and Ditto

actually its the speaker, you can have some real junk for a souce as I pointed out and a good speaker and it will sound awesome....

rnrss said:

I am not sure how you are applying your zobel... but you do not want to add series r if you want your damping to remain high...

No amps do not have linear impedance... they are basically a very low q bandpass circuit so they can accomodate a large variation in loads...

This is the first time I've heard of anyone talk about series R in zobels, there are really only two types, and none have R in series with the signal path. What were you thinking?

I though we were talking about damping of back emf signals. Maybe I'm mistaken. But what impedance are you talking about here? The output impedance is rarely constant not because variation of loads. But because of component limitations.

I guess I'll just let you have fun with the other guys/gals. Sorry for interrupting.:) :D :angel:

rnrss said:
If you like both loud and quiet music you get bass compression so to speak both when its quiet and again when it is loud...

So that's why we use basshorns all the way down.
Works real good in the living room... ;)

Well I dont like that and putting big wire on it gets rid of that problem as well as all the other benifts that come with big copper...

And what about the voice coil?
We use active speakers, of course, so let's say a distance of 2' from
the amp to the voice coil. Are you going to use awg 14 in the voice coil as well? No, I didn't think so...

cheers ;)

Re: Re: Re: If we have to go this low...

Audiophilenoob said:
a review of average from any magazine from anywhere is not something I would want said about a speaker I own

Read other reviews and they say otherwise.
Audio mags are bathroom reading, I read them just to entertain.
I have read some reviews that highly raved a product and when I listened to it they were total junk.

Like Audio Analogue amps and CDPs.

Audiophilenoob said:
he in fact hasn't lied in any post I've read...

This is a bricolage, just to say LOL.
I was talking completely different things from the first to the last quote.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=693616#post693616

The last quote from me on this post is fabricated, I didn't post that.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=692543#post692543

He doesn't know how to use a simple calculator either.

And much more...
Are we discussing with serious people?

carlosfm said:

I was talking completely different things from the first to the last quote.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=693616#post693616

He doesn't know how to use a simple calculator either.

And much more...
Are we discussing with serious people?

I'm not hear to moderate his fairness to you

the only thing I see questionable is the random quote I can't find you saying

slowmotion said:

So that's why we use basshorns all the way down.
Works real good in the living room... ;)

And what about the voice coil?
We use active speakers, of course, so let's say a distance of 2' from
the amp to the voice coil. Are you going to use awg 14 in the voice coil as well? No, I didn't think so...

cheers ;)

I dont understand what you are saying in either of those sections?

I use a bass horn all the way down because they 108db@1w@1m and they are very articulate...

Actually by definition you get higher damping with higher voice coil resistance... so no I would not want to use #14 in the voice coil...

Since its speaker r+z/amp r+ wire r

It should be opbvious that the higher the speaker r the high the damping for any given amp + wire z

My midrange is 16ohms and has .001% thd way better than most peoples amps including mine...

So for poorer df amps you would want to use high r+z speakers to get good damping

:captain:

Guys, if you want to talk about vinyl, CD, or whatever, take it to another thread. You want to talk about wire and how it interacts with amps, speakers, or what-have-you, let's keep it to that instead of poop-flinging.

/badge off

Yeh just a miniscule 15 feet of awg 14 lol

Yup, 7 or 8 feet of cable (don't forget there and back) between amp and speaker isn't uncommon. That's why larger gauge can sometimes be helpful.

carlosfm said:

Originally posted by carlosfm

Kimber Monocle-XTM Loudspeaker Cable
1: 16 pure wires
2: refined Teflon insulation
3: TiO2 dielectric medium
4: PE dielectric medium
5: X38R core
6: protective skin
Symmetric cable for highest transparency and precision. Equipped with WBTTM connectors

He is talking about this... He is correct he did not post this... it is the wire specs from the link he gave me and since he did not put this in text I feel I owe him an apology for grossly misrepresenting the wire he feels is best....

Hey carlos please accept my very humble apologies for posting your wire specs from the link you gave me... and grossly misrepresenting what you were talking about...

I hope you accept my apology...

So how about telling me why you did not tell us about all the problems with those epos speakers?

Are you man enough to give us an apology for misrepresenting the quality of the epos speakers?

rnrss said:
He is talking about this... He is correct he did not post this... it is the wire specs from the link he gave me and since he did not put this in text I feel I owe him an apology for grossly misrepresenting the wire he feels is best....

Show me my post where I say that wire is the best.
I never tested that wire, how could I comment?
See?
It's all fabrication.

I just posted that link to show some wire specs, which some manufacturers don't reveal.
For instance, Supra doesn't say the capacitance of their cables.
Others don't say nothing at all.

SY said:

Yup, 7 or 8 feet of cable (don't forget there and back) between amp and speaker isn't uncommon. That's why larger gauge can sometimes be helpful.

Wrong...

I did my math correctly it is 15 feet taking both directions into account :)

The beauty is 7 or 8 feet of number 14 would give you 200+ df with a 20,000 df amp... perfect...

But I would still stick to my 00

carlosfm said:

Show me my post where I say that wire is the best.
I never tested that wire, how could I comment?
See?
It's all fabrication.

I just posted that link to show some wire specs, which some manufacturers don't reveal.
For instance, Supra doesn't say the capacitance of their cables.
Others don't say nothing at all.

well then next time make that clear carlos....

SY said:
:captain:

Guys, if you want to talk about vinyl, CD, or whatever, take it to another thread. You want to talk about wire and how it interacts with amps, speakers, or what-have-you, let's keep it to that instead of poop-flinging.

Come on SY, the poop-flinging reminds me of the elementery school days. If was fun.:D Remember? I think this might get sent to Texas.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.