Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If the compression is done at the recording or mix down.... then there is little you can do afterwards ... maybe fake it some way. BUT, if, afterwards the compressed music signals go thru an algorithm to uncompress it, then we should be able to get fairly accurate uncompressed music [by running the signal thru a reversing or uncompress algor.]

There has been a need to compress for speed and limited BW and limited storage...... all of which are becoming less necessary as time goes onward. But, we are now listening to a needed compressed music without the final uncompress stage at the end user output. Now it is just rationalization not do uncompress it in playback. Or at least have the user option to do so..... for portable (car etc) or home.

I would like to see a SW or HW box that I can run my music thru which will uncompress it correctly (according to the compression algor)....... who can do that?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
If the compression is done at the recording or mix down.... then there is little you can do afterwards ... maybe fake it some way. BUT, if, afterwards the compressed music signals go thru an algorithm to uncompress it, then we should be able to get fairly accurate uncompressed music [by running the signal thru a reversing or uncompress algor.]

There has been a need to compress for speed and limited BW and limited storage...... all of which are becoming less necessary as time goes onward. But, we are now listening to a needed compressed music without the final uncompress stage at the end user output. Now it is just rationalization not do uncompress it in playback. Or at least have the user option to do so..... for portable (car etc) or home.

I would like to see a SW or HW box that I can run my music thru which will uncompress it correctly (according to the compression algor)....... who can do that?

THx-RNMarsh

I think you are talking about 2 different kind of compression and mix them up:
1 Dynamic range compression. Difference between loud and soft sounds gets smaller.
2 Bitrate reduction. The file size gets smaller.

If dynamic range compression is used, you will never get the original back. This is used ao to make everything louder and is the cause of bad modern recordings.

If bitrate reduction is used, then you have lossy codecs like mp3/AAC and you have lossless codecs like FLAC/ALAC. The lossless codecs compress the file size, but the playback is bit for bit exactly the same as the original. Mp3/AAC change the file size and change the content in the file. This information is lost forever and can't be retained. The higher bitrate lossy codecs are pretty good these day's.

The evil thing is the extreme dynamic range compression that is so common these day's.

Apple sells more audio gear than just about any other company in the world.

Agreed - if you count i-Phone as an audio device.

But then, by the same token, each and every cell phone manufacturer is also an audio manufacturer, all the more so since most (if not all) now also have built-in FM stereo radio capabiliies.

TVs also. Locally, I have my choice of over 20 radio stations which do not appear on the FM scale, most are I expect DAB stations. Poor sound overall, although I am of necessity comparing a few which have their locations on the FM scale of my reVox B760 tuner. BTW, that tuner is on the 8th place of the FM Tuner site's best ever made, while the Sequerra is below the 20th place on sound capabilities, despite its outstanding radio performance specs.

It's what the market wants, and that's determined by listening tests. Who am I to tell people that what *I* want is right and what *they* want is wrong? That's why I design and build my own gear.

(Bold by DVV)

That's some real bad ganja you're smoking there, SY.

Make up your mind, do we talk on basis of technical terms, or market performance? Don't switch as it suits you at the moment. The most specific item opinion I can reasonably offer to anyone in good faith is to list what I own and say why I think it worth owning. But even so, that's just me.

As for expressing my opinions, it was just that, my own opinions, which are true for me only. I have been asked countless times what should somebody buy, and my answer has always been the same - whatever you find pleasing to listen to. Tubes? Fine, buy tube audio. SS? OK, buy that then. Frankly, I don't really care what people keep in their homes, unless I think exceptionally well of those people, in which case I'll be happy to listen to their experiences, thoughts and views.

It is true that the quality of most modern music recordings is extremely low. The dynamic range of most modern releases is non existing and sounds very distorted.
But this is NOT "the result of market success supported by objective facts and results of research on sound perception." Its the result of the false "more must be better" paradigm.

Edit: AES E-Library Some New Evidence that Teenagers and College Students May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
People seem to like accurate reproduction.

And the "newer therefore better" syndrome. Much aided by ad campaigns of the manufacturers.

A great acid test of those who would argue the two points is to ask them how many LPs and/or CDs do they actually own. Typically, it boils down a treacle, despite their imagined knolwedge of audio and them being "audiophiles".

MP3 and such like downloads don't count, any idiot with a PC can download gigabytes of music with no idea of what they have just downloaded.

Make up your mind, do we talk on basis of technical terms, or market performance?

The two are related. Listening tests tell manufacturers what people want. The "big corporations" that you asserted do no listening tests do, in fact, perform extensive listening tests. That's one of the reasons that they're big and successful, they give people what they want- and listening tests are a large factor in determining what people want. Google "hedonic testing"- it's an extensive and rigorous discipline.

You could take the entire high end audio industry, multiply it by 1000, and still, more people listen to more music over iPhones and iPods than that. And isn't the music what counts?

A prime example of cognitive dissonance.

Its impossible to answer this with yes or no, because you haven't defined "sound bland" and "sound wonderful".

I use the term "transparent". A device is "transparent" if you hear no difference between input and output.

If ALL the relative objective measurements of an amp is showing its artefacts are well below the audible thresholds, then its very likely to be transparent. But scientific subjective measurements trump objective measurements all the time.

If the objective measurements show that the amp produces artefacts above the audible threshold, its very likely not transparent.
I can understand that some people like certain kinds of audible artefacts, that’s fine by me. I prefer transparent equipment for reproduction.

Got it. You have no answer. But I see that you and Vaccuphile listen by measurements, that's clear enough.

Let me remind of 1976 or 1977, not sure which, when Julian Hirsch of the Hirsch-Hook Labs wrote that any two amplifiers which measure the same must also sound the same. To the best of my knowledge, that was the last thing he ever published in any audio magazine worth mentioning. Even then.

My feeling is that those who listen by measurements and form their opinions on that basis in fact don't hear very well. No insult intended, mind you, I hope no-one will now tell me that we all hear exactly the same, and as a e reminder, I did say several times that measurements are invaluable design tools and that I also use as such. But only as such.

Got it. You have no answer. But I see that you and Vaccuphile listen by measurements, that's clear enough.
My feeling is that those who listen by measurements and form their opinions on that basis in fact don't hear very well. No insult intended, mind you, I hope no-one will now tell me that we all hear exactly the same, and as a e reminder, I did say several times that measurements are invaluable design tools and that I also use as such. But only as such.

Exactly right, so prepare to be trolled. It seems to be that season.

Last edited:
Agreed - if you count i-Phone as an audio device.

But then, by the same token, each and every cell phone manufacturer is also an audio manufacturer, all the more so since most (if not all) now also have built-in FM stereo radio capabiliies.

Yes that is true, I just visited 5 very large cell phone manufacturers and they most definitely consider themselves in the audio business, conduct listening tests, and are very concerned about the audio quality.

Yes that is true, I just visited 5 very large cell phone manufacturers and they most definitely consider themselves in the audio business, conduct listening tests, and are very concerned about the audio quality.

Scott, I am sorry to hear that, because once we start seeing FM tuners built into our stoves, now reserved for the top models only, they too will become audio manufacturers. To me, that's going byond ridiculous, that's outright madness. But this brave new world seems to thrive on it.

Regarding cell phone manufacturers, I can see why they are concerned with sound quality, it's not the same whether your device is crystal clear or very muffled. You still do have to hear and understand whoever you are speaking with.

But whatever they think of themselves, to me they are simply cell phone manufacturers and that's it, certainly not audio device manufacturers. But then, to me a cell phone is just that, a device to make and receive occasional calls, while I do think that the phone section is the least important thing people pay attention to, it's all texting these days, the Internet, and whatnot. Voice calls are almost like an afterthought.

Status
Not open for further replies.