Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting that a "golden eared" panelist will know better how an instrument sounds than the man playing that instrument?
No, I'm saying that a trained listener is better able to detect artefacts than an untrained listener. And a man playing an instrument is not a trained listener.

Are you also suggesting that EVERYBODY takes listening results as seriously as Harman does? If so, how do you explain quite a lot of rather poor sounding products on the market?
Answered by SY.
But I'll add that if you did your own scientific subjective testing you'll find that there are quite a lot of very good sounding and cheap products out there. For instance most modern cheap digital equipment is totally transparent.

Without scientific subjective testing, biases and placebo effects take over. And even with scientific subjective testing there is the extremely strong cognitive dissonance humans are subjected to. If you have strong believes science is a b#*%@.

Tattoo, it appears I hear what you don't, because I'd be hard pressed to name several amps in toe up to 50WRMS/8 Ohms class, for example.

Even the lates offerings in the budget class (just above entry level) from revered old names such as Marantz I find to be dull and disinterested. Frankly, I don't care what their scientifically obtained data shows, I believe in MY ears more than in THEIR instruments.

But, let's not waste time in finger pointing, just tell me this: do you think it's possible for a say amp to measure even very well and still sound bland, or to measure just mediocre, yet sound wonderful?

Yes or no, please.

It's always nice to wave away one's demonstrably wrong assertions, then ignore contradictory objective facts and the market success that major companies have had. Makes for better bloviation. Carry on, lads.

By market criteria, the manufacturers of deadly weapons are in great shape and doing better all the time.

Demonstrably? If so, then why didn't you demonstrate - your blanket statement that Apple is an audio company is hardly scientific and objective.

Much as it obviously and consistently irritates you, some people do have different opinions. And your word is anything but scientific evidence, your view perhaps and that's fine, but evidence - no way.

What is a "say amp" and which measurements specifically do you mean?

It seems we have just descended to the kindergarten level. OK, fine, here it is, especially for you SY:

As "an amp", take anything that delivers up to say 50Wrms into 8 Ohms, integrated or a standalone power amp,

For measurements, take classic THD and IM measurements, as per the FTC and/or SMPTE standards.

Do you believe if two amps, both having the nominally same output power (20Vrms into 8 Ohms), where one has say 0.1% THD, and the other say 0.01% THD, in both cases as per the FTC rules, that the one with the smaller measured THD will by default sound better?

It's always nice to wave away one's demonstrably wrong assertions, then ignore contradictory objective facts and the market success that major companies have had. Makes for better bloviation. Carry on, lads.

We are all day surrounded by horrible compressed sound from TV, radio, IPhones etc. Yes, the result of market success supported by objective facts and results of research on sound perception. Give me a break, SY. You may probably like it, me not and that's why I am in DIY hi-fi hobby.

Do you believe if two amps, both having the nominally same output power (20Vrms into 8 Ohms), where one has say 0.1% THD, and the other say 0.01% THD, in both cases as per the FTC rules, that the one with the smaller measured THD will by default sound better?

It depends a bit on the sort of distortion and on some other measurements such as damping factor, but in all likelihood they will sound identical.

Tattoo, it appears I hear what you don't, because I'd be hard pressed to name several amps in toe up to 50WRMS/8 Ohms class, for example.

Even the lates offerings in the budget class (just above entry level) from revered old names such as Marantz I find to be dull and disinterested. Frankly, I don't care what their scientifically obtained data shows, I believe in MY ears more than in THEIR instruments.
A prime example of cognitive dissonance.

But, let's not waste time in finger pointing, just tell me this: do you think it's possible for a say amp to measure even very well and still sound bland, or to measure just mediocre, yet sound wonderful?

Yes or no, please.
Its impossible to answer this with yes or no, because you haven't defined "sound bland" and "sound wonderful".

I use the term "transparent". A device is "transparent" if you hear no difference between input and output.

If ALL the relative objective measurements of an amp is showing its artefacts are well below the audible thresholds, then its very likely to be transparent. But scientific subjective measurements trump objective measurements all the time.

If the objective measurements show that the amp produces artefacts above the audible threshold, its very likely not transparent.
I can understand that some people like certain kinds of audible artefacts, that’s fine by me. I prefer transparent equipment for reproduction.

We are all day surrounded by horrible compressed sound from TV, radio, IPhones etc. Yes, the result of market success supported by objective facts and results of research on sound perception.

It is true that the quality of most modern music recordings is extremely low. The dynamic range of most modern releases is non existing and sounds very distorted.
But this is NOT "the result of market success supported by objective facts and results of research on sound perception." Its the result of the false "more must be better" paradigm.

Edit: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16321
People seem to like accurate reproduction.

Last edited:
I agree, but IMO "more must be better" is dictated by portable playback everywhere - in subway etc., in noisy environment. It is sold well so that over compressed approach is the winner.

I don't think "flat lined" recordings sound better in any environment on any equipment.

Low dynamic range recordings are pure evil. And I hope that companies who supply streaming audio or sell music online add ReplayGain to all their tracks.

I don't think "flat lined" recordings sound better in any environment on any equipment.

Low dynamic range recordings are pure evil. And I hope that companies who supply streaming audio or sell music online add ReplayGain to all their tracks.

I agree, "flat lined" recordings sound badly anywhere. Anyway, the loudness race was IMO started by massive use of portable players.

https://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/

take-everything-everywhere iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.