Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Dejan, the above reply wasn't addressed to you but nonetheless....
I can assure you that designing a tube preamp or amp with THD well down to 0.001% is perfectly doable.
The preamps can even be designed without resorting to a global feedback loop.

No distortion, no colouration or am I wrong?

But of course, everyone is free to his or her personal preferences. I'm not defending valves per se, it's just that I know it's not the valves that are to blame.

Best, ;)

Sorry I popped in uninvited, Frank, but I did and that's that.

My personal ideal is maximum linearity. By linearity, I also mean neutrality. Theoretically, most people will say that's their ideal as well, but they lie, mostly unintentionally.

A lot of time and effort was spent on linearizing my speakers. This was eventually achieved to very great extent - not perfect, but way nearer to that ideal thanthe vast majority of speakers I have ever heard, at any price, by anyone. On top of that, just as great attention was dedicated to making them an easy load to drive, and again, I don't know of any speaker commercially available which is as easy to drive as mine (but obviously, I haven't heard all the speakers available, so the previous statement is naturally relative). This was done on purpose, to enable each and every amp to dop its best with them. Thus, it is the cornerstone for my own opinion making.

For load tolerance, I use my old but refreshed AR94 floorstanders, which are not very easy on loads, although there were speakers which were way worse. And lastly, there are my wife's JBL Ti600 speakers.

For me to have an informed opinion, anything that comes along will be tested on all three, in three romms and three different acoustics, using three tuners, two CD players, one cassette deck and one TT. If it's a tuner, or CD player, there are thee preamps, three power amps and five integrated amps so drive it with.

The point is, I do not qualify anything lightly at all, I tuly and really give it the whole shebang. I feel that's the only way I can honestly say what I think of it. The lab measurements I do for my own sake, just because I am curious. My lab is relatively modest, consisting of a dual trace oscilloscope good up to 50 MHz, a dedicated, low distortion function generator good up to 100 kHz, a wide bandwidth function generator good to 50 MHz but not particularly low THD, plus a few multimeters. Good enough to yield some basic information and resolve basic issues, for finer work I go to a friend with a better lab setup.

I am NOT a measurement freak and do NOT insist on wild results, like a THD of les than 0.0001%; I feel that as long as THD is below 0.1%, albeit under full stress, more important is the harmonics decay than their absolute value.

So, trust me, when I say I feel tube audio, by and large, is oloured in my view, I have both the time, method and means to back it up with specifics. Again, I have heard some tube items I feel were very good indeed, just as I have run across some SS audio I felt was very good to excellent.

I agree with you that it's not simply the tubes themselves but how they are used; with transistors, it's exactly the same thing, with loudspeaker drivers also the same thing, etc.

When I refer to tube audio, I mean the things which are commercially available, not literally ALL of them; ulimately, I haven't heard all of them and cannot have an opinion of the sonics of something I've never even seen, let alone auditioned.

OK?

Last edited:
Let me describe what happens a little better, and this is true if its an amp or a servo speaker-
When the amp hits a limit, clipping or whatever the feedback tells the gain to increase to push the output to the target level. In a design that this was not addressed the internal circuit can saturate at the rail in the direction of the clipping. Recovery can take a long time as the internals come out of saturation. The simple fix on an amp usually is Baker clamps limiting the saturation of the BJT's doing the amplification. In larger systems it can be worse. Ask anyone who has clipped an amp tied to a cutter head with feedback. . .

Its pretty independent of open loop gain, bandwidth etc. Usually clipping the amp and looking at the "sticking" as it recovers highlights the issue. In some cases you can see the output reverse during overdrive. The amp should be checked with reactive loads since the loop gain in clipping is very different and it could even oscillate while clipping.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I got it right. Thank you, Demian.

Sometimes, when some audio product sounds extra good, it does not need much extra promotion. However, you have to believe that that are real differences between audio electronics, to make sense of this. Almost all manufacturers 'promote' 'market' or 'advertise' their products in order to get more sales than just 'word of mouth. Two exceptions were the CTC Blowtorch and the Vendetta Research SCP-2 which supported no advertising throughout the life of the product. We did show at CES a few times, but that was it, yet they acquired an excellent reputation by how they sounded, although they measured better than many tube products, they did not 'measure' as well as some audio op amp designs.

That you design by using measurements is easy enough to understand, but the question is do you also listen by measurements?

A retorical question in you case John, as well as in my case, but there's an awful lot of people out there who equate low THD measurements with good sound. Far too many, in fact. That's how a lot of junk is sold.

I am sure designers make both measurements and listening. Listening only is impossible provided you are not a magician. Measurement is inevitable, listening is necessary to put you on the track.

Agreed.

But I don't hink too much listening is done in big corporations, budget goals are the most important issue there.

And there's the question of auditioning - listening is a natural process, but hearing is an art. Frankly, I doubt most of the modern day audio designers have much of a musical education.

But I don't hink too much listening is done in big corporations, budget goals are the most important issue there.

And there's the question of auditioning - listening is a natural process, but hearing is an art. Frankly, I doubt most of the modern day audio designers have much of a musical education.

I think you are right.

When recording classical music, we had sound director and music director in the studio. Even the sound director had often had musical education as well.

Being a professional musician is a completely different thing from being a trained listener. They have nothing to do with each other jet people here seem to think they do. Its complete and utter nonsense!

AES E-Library Selection and Training of Subjects for Listening Tests on Sound-Reproducing Equipment
AES E-Library Subjective Measurements of Loudspeaker Sound Quality and Listener Performance
AES E-Library Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study

And there are manufacturers that do scientific listening tests with their products. Behind Harman's speaker testing labs - YouTube

SY, don't be so literal. Instead, go out there and try some budget models, then come back and preach how they all listen. Ultimately, if they do, they should change their panel members.

Specifically. Harman has always been a company apart. Their company history shows that pretty clearly. And telling me that Harman does that is a bit silly, don't you think, me, who owns two of their integrated amps, from 1993 and 1999, plus their up market Citation models (preamp and amp)?

Remember, they are the most obvious proponent of low global NFB circuitry, they were the ones who emplyed Matti Otala for years (late 70ies to early 80ies), and so forth. What are the chances of me not knowing the basics of that company, what with my views?

They probably all LISTEN, the question is what and how do they HEAR their products?

Being a professional musician is a completely different thing from being a trained listener. They have nothing to do with each other jet people here seem to think they do. Its complete and utter nonsense!

AES E-Library Selection and Training of Subjects for Listening Tests on Sound-Reproducing Equipment
AES E-Library Subjective Measurements of Loudspeaker Sound Quality and Listener Performance
AES E-Library Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study

And there are manufacturers that do scientific listening tests with their products. Behind Harman's speaker testing labs - YouTube

Are you suggesting that a "golden eared" panelist will know better how an instrument sounds than the man playing that instrument?

Are you also suggesting that EVERYBODY takes listening results as seriously as Harman does? If so, how do you explain quite a lot of rather poor sounding products on the market?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Managing clipping will make a big difference in open loop vs. feedback amps. With feedback when the amp clips the feedback loop is going the wrong way. It can be managed in various ways but it will always be a sudden transition with feedback.
. With an open loop design its possible, especially with transformers, to have the more gentile compression like magnetic overload on a tape recorder. This may be part of why a tube amp can sound louder than a much more powerful solid state amp.

Its also possible that the sudden onset of harmonics in a feedback design makes them more apparent that the continuous increase of an open loop design.

Thank you Demian.
In my urge to p**s off Pavel and Dejan (Scott too?), I forgot to mention here
we were testing the perceived loudness between a PP class A tubed 12W and a SS class AB 60W,

that the tubed amp was open loop (how else could that have happened?).

I have a goal for my free time...

I am fully satisfied with TAS5704 chips. When you’ll engineer something with such chips (I2S input, Class D Out) let us know. I am in.

George

I accept your "oops".

On Infinity - the two US companies which have always been represented in my country, ever since the late 60ies and early 70ies, were Acoustic Rsearch and Infinity. Consequently, I have had many an opportunity to hear alot of their models over the years. I still do.

Like in just about every lineup you care to mention, there were models I liked and there were models I would never buy myself. As it happens, a fair share of my friends and acquaintainces did buy Infinity speakers, I suspect more of them did so than those who bought an AR model. One guy actually had an Infinity Reference, the model which comes in several parts and needs a fork lifter to position in a room. That was a great speaker however you look at it, but it was an evil load which at the time, only Krell, Mark Levinson and the likes of them could drive. They justified the exitence of high power, high load tolerance amps.

Personally, I was more of an AR man, although they had their at best mediocre models, like everybody else. AR5 served me from 1973 to 1986, thereafter it was AR94 until 2003.

Overall, I'd say Infinity did better than AR on entry level and more inexpensive models, but at the time, they faced some stiff competition from the UK speaker industry, and to a lesser extent, from the German loudspeaker industry. In my view, Rogers, who made 3 (I think?) BBC monitor models, the largest being a fully blown 3 way speaker, were in my view better.

What I always liked about Infinity is their immediacey, their presence, whereas AR had a slightly less presence (as being there) sound, they were more laid back.

Status
Not open for further replies.