Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Progress update on VFET kits:

• People still waiting for their batch 2 orders to ship, should start to see them ship mid-January.
  • Everything will be in place for batch 3 to achieve a quick turnaround, with delivery probably during February. Once batch 2 has been fulfilled in mid-January, we will then open up pre-orders for batch 3 (using a "first in first served" model). Based on what happened with batch 2 (we had left-overs for the public/people not on the list), I think it's fair to say there should be plenty to go around and anyone who is waiting for more kits will be able to purchase one (or two).

I made up a lot of Supplemental Kits so I'm sure they are available to you, and also to people on the list for batch three when they become available. I think that since you're already on. The paid list for batch 2 you can just log back in and select the Supplemental kit too...tell us if this is true...

Mark
Hi Jason,

I was lucky enough to get on board for an essentials kit before round two closed up. Is it possible for me to get a supplemental kit also, or am I too late.

Thx,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
As for JFET degeneration... if I understand the circuit correctly, JFETs are in common source mode. I bought a pair of curve traced FETs from liubincalvin here. He curve traced his transistors with a 5R degeneration source resistor for the 2SJ74. Am I correct, that I need to solder the resistor between PCB and source leg of the P-Channel Fet (the source leg not directly connected to the pcb but via the resistor)?

I am a "not so fearless" amp builder with this VFET beauty ;-)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Not sure why we didn't create this page earlier, but I guess we're learning on the job :)

We now have a status page that contains various links and information for the kits, as well as regularly updated status information for each batch. You can re-post this link whenever people ask about how to purchase kits, get on the mailing list, or what the status of their kits is:

http://diyaudiostore.com/pages/sony-vfet-kit-status-page

I made up a lot of Supplemental Kits so I'm sure they are available to you, and also to people on the list for batch three when they become available. I think that since you're already on. The paid list for batch 2 you can just log back in and select the Supplemental kit too...tell us if this is true...

Mark
Hi Jason,

I was lucky enough to get on board for an essentials kit before round two closed up. Is it possible for me to get a supplemental kit also, or am I too late.

Thx,

Paul
Hi Jason,

Tried logging in to order a supplementary kit without success. By the way which 4U chassis would be better, 400 mm deep, or can I get by with the 300 mm ?

Thx,

Paul

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Jason,

Tried logging in to order a supplementary kit without success. By the way which 4U chassis would be better, 400 mm deep, or can I get by with the 300 mm ?

Thx,

Paul

I have added more clarification about the status of each batch to the status page. Supplemental kits now says "Available in late January".

4Ux300mm is fine, and we don't presently make a 4Ux400mm deep Deluxe nor have 4Ux400mm UMS heatsinks.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,
I subscribed to the list for the two kits, one each, and I thought it was written that an email would be sent confirming my entry? :confused:

By email confirmation I mean the process goes like this:

1. You click the link to subscribe on the status page which takes you to: Sony VFET Kit Interest Group Subscription Page
  2. You enter your details and press "Subscribe to List". You may additionally be asked to prove you are not a robot.
  3. Mailchimp sends you a "confirmation" email to confirm your email address is valid
  4. You check your email system, and see an email with the subject line "Sony VFET Kit Interest Group: Please Confirm Subscription". Click on the link that is in that confirmation email that says "Yes, subscribe me to this list"
  5. You will be taken to a page saying "Your subscription to our list has been confirmed."

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I am considering this amplifier build, got late to this thread and would like to know what each of these kits consist of. If I get one of each, would I be able to build one vfet amplifier? Thanks

Good question. One kit makes one amp, with 2 channels. The status page has been updated to include the contents of each kit.

Sony VFET Kit Status Page

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am considering this amplifier build, got late to this thread and would like to know what each of these kits consist of. If I get one of each, would I be able to build one vfet amplifier? Thanks

For 2 channels you need one of each kit:
One Essentials Kit which includes the rare VFETS and other parts.
One Supplemental Kit which has all remaining parts required for populating the PCB.

You will still require a chassis, which you can make or buy. The 4U Deluxe Chassis in the DiyAudio Store is the correct size and has the holes required to mount the PCB brackets already drilled and tapped.

You'll also require a power supply. There is a PCB in the store. But you'll have to supply the capacitors, diodes, resistors, transformer(s) for that..

Also some chassis hardware such as RCA jacks, on/off switch, speaker terminals, IEC power cord connector, bolts, etc. This is available in the store as the back panel parts kit.

If you get all that you should be able to build a 2 ch Amp. As mentioned, this isn't the simplest Pass amp to build, but it isn't too hard if you work slowly and ask questions. There will be a Build Guide with photos also.

Last edited: