Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I believe I said "by the end of January"
However we are sending the Supplementary kits to our order fulfillment people today or tomorrow. It takes a week for them to arrive there, a couple of days for them to put them in inventory, and then they'll start sending them to people who have already received their VFET Essentials kits.

The people that haven't yet received the VFET Essentials Kits will probably receive them sometime in January when the PCB's and VFET mounting brackets arrive, and if they have ordered the Supplementary kits also, won't get the Supp Kits until that time so they can be shipped together to save shipping costs

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
108 of the Supplementary Kits have shipped to the order fulfillment people
That means that around the 5th of January they will start shipping to 108 of the people who ordered just the Supplementary Kit (presumably people from the first batch of Essentials Kit buyers who already have their Essentials Kits)

There will be 19 people who won't get kits from this shipment. They were the last people to order. Their kits will probably arrive a week later.

People who ordered Essentials Kits in the Second Batch will receive the Supplementary Kit packed with the Essentials kit when both are ready sometime in January.

It looks like we'll have some Supplemental kits remaining for some of the people who sign up for the Third Essential Kit Batch, so best to get on the Third Batch waiting list as soon as possible if you want a Supplemental kit along with your VFET Essentials Kit.

If you want just a Supplementary Kit you could get on the Third Batch waiting list and select just that kit and not order the Essentials Kit

Last edited:
Put the VFET amp back into the rotation and it's sounding mighty fine on this rare no-work day! Many thanks again to NP and crew.

Sorry for the poorly lit and unglamorous shot.

I highly encourage folks with parts to bring their amps to life...

BK

Attachments

• 1-IMG_3147.JPG
    1-IMG_3147.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 978
Is that a B1 with the plexi front?

No B1 yet - it's a TP DAC with a lot of other stuff shoe-horned in. Changed a few things since the pic below. Very versatile. I'm still building up my pre-amp arsenal and have several other "works in progress".

zman01 - yep Sierra-2 monitors with RAAL. Sometimes with subwoofer support :devily:

Seems I'm also in desperate need of an equipment rack!

BK

Attachments

• 1-IMG_3141.JPG
    1-IMG_3141.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 889
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We've produced enough for most people who already have their Essentials kits.
However a few people won't get theirs until the second batch is done.

The good news is they shouldn't have to wait more than about 2 weeks to get them - the second Supplemental batch is already shipped to the fulfillment company who will receive them and start shipping in about 10 days

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Not sure what your actual question is, but R33 is in place to limit the current drawn by the power indicator LED. Since it's the same pcb for both channels, there are positions for R33 on both ends of the pcb. You don't have to install R33 and the LED, they're both not essential to the audio circuitry. But you'll generally need R33 if you use an LED.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you for the supplemental kit! Received mine yesterday, Saturday the 8th. :)

Inventoried all parts and measured resistances.
I found that the 332R resistors measured 331R
and 282R? As this goes to ground for the input
jFet pairs it worries me a bit. I may find some
in my hodge podge of parts to substitute.

Is this a concern?:confused: