Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wonder if anything is being done to the insanely big holes in the aluminum bracket?

It seems like a good place to mount the Vfets. :D :D :D

IMG_1408.jpg

so if the brackets are improved I might as well get 2 pairs of those.

I can't imagine them being made any differently in the future.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I believe that the TO-220 MOSFETs in the Supplemental Kit have exposed metal tabs which need to be insulated with a tiny sleeved plastic washer, an insulator between the back of the MOSFET and the heatsinks, and grease on both sides of the insulators for many insulators. Fortunately the Supplemental Kits DO include the tiny plastic sleeves, mica insulators, and there is plenty of grease in the Essentials Kit where you got your VFETS and brackets, etc.

6L6:
I changed the text about the TO-220 MOSFETs in your preliminary Build Guide in this thread to avoid confusion, of course feel free to edit the wording.

Variac

Last edited:
Hmm...was it so that the insulators/spacers were as big as the holes.
I had missed that.
Then I sort of understand why the holes are so big.

But I do not agree that it would be a particularly good place to mount the V-FETs.
After all I would think the area that heats up the most is the triangle inside Gate, Source and the further away screw hole.
Between that area and the bracket there is quite little aluminum.

Keeping in mind that even these bigger V-FETs are rated below 100W at some temperature (probably RT, I do not have the curve) and are derated by increasing temperature.

Just my opinion of course :)

It seems like a good place to mount the Vfets. :D :D :D

IMG_1408.jpg

I can't imagine them being made any differently in the future.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nelson designed the bracket. Yes the holes are to accommodate the plastic tube insulators. I suppose they could be made smaller but those dimensions have been used for many years I believe. No, they won't change. It's not that hard to make your own version of the brackets though, it's really not very many holes....

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
But I do not agree that it would be a particularly good place to mount the V-FETs.

Where will you put them? :confused::confused::confused:

:D

Remember that the bracket does 3 things - interface the UMS hole pattern on the HiFi2000 heatsinks, hold the PCB, and make a place to mount the TO-3 Vfets.

Your comment about heat would probably be true if we were running the Vfet at 100W dissipation, but in practice, the Vfet cases don't get much past 40C.

The capacitors, of course! That is the best method for reducing a 50 volt capacitor to a 35, right? Cut the unneeded portion off?

JK :)

I use the flat jigsaw blades to leave a gap beneath the resistors and the board. They're smooth enough that they slide right out when done, without damaging anything.

This is the frontplate I´m planning on for my one vfet amp. What do you think of using the word "SONY" on the front. It is a brand, should I not use it? Other comments are welcome too.

Well, it's not like you are planning to market and sell your own line of amps under the Sony label. And the amp does have Sony VFETS in it, so I think you are okay.

But definitely proofread for typos before sending the plate out for printing! :D

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Where will you put them? :confused::confused::confused:

:D

Remember that the bracket does 3 things - interface the UMS hole pattern on the HiFi2000 heatsinks, hold the PCB, and make a place to mount the TO-3 Vfets.

Your comment about heat would probably be true if we were running the Vfet at 100W dissipation, but in practice, the Vfet cases don't get much past 40C.

You are right, the bracket has the great feature of fitting the UMS, if I get such heat sinks. I know many here will use them.

They are running at about 25W dissipation was it?
100W with those devices is not even possible, but you are right, they could probably handle 50W with this setup.

I will think about making my own, but I will not likely do a better job.
Made a lateral fet class-AB amp for a couple of years ago. 8pcs of TO-3 devices with sockets.
It was enough work to make me tired and result was far from perfect :D

Hi,

I have listen my kit ! it's very good.
It sound soft and natural, like a 300b.
The sound is more precise and the bass are better than l'amp.
L'amp have a natural sound, a good "presence", I like it too.
The VFET part2 have a better definition, even with the compressions chambers.
So I will built a second kit, one for the medium and an other for the compressions chambers...

I thank everybody for the forum.

regards