Sony SA-W303 Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, but it turns out you do indeed need an 8 Ohm woofer, so that Peerless one won't work :/

Cokewithlime, thanks for the suggestions, but just out of curiosity, why are those better than the Dayton driver I posted? And this enclosure is 6.5"; I don't think those 7" ones will fit.

Last edited:
Cokewithlime, thanks for the suggestions, but just out of curiosity, why are those better than the Dayton driver I posted? And this enclosure is 6.5"; I don't think those 7" ones will fit.

Besides having a little better xmax than the one you posted, the main difference in the drivers I listed are that they all have a much better motor and suspension structure which translates into better/tighter more accurate LF reproduction - I thought part of your exercise with this sub was to improve over the original rather than just matching what was factory supplied :)

In general a 6.5" and a 7" drivers are usually physically interchangeable unless they are to go in a routed flush surface mount.

Last edited:
Good idea.

It's surprising how little is spent on the drivers in a commercial design. I once saw a pair of floorstanders, costing £700. The woofers are £20 each. At one per side, that's an awful lot of money that's gone somewhere else. Scale this down a little to a sub that might be £80 new, you'll be lucky if they spent £5 on the driver.

Last edited:
I honestly doubt those specs. Hoffman's Iron Law...
It sounds too good to be true, and therefore probably is. The amount of displacement you'd need to get to 19Hz is a lot - more than even those long-throw TB drivers will do.

Chris

Definitive Technology PT 400 6.5" SUB WOOFER p/n ETWR - eBay (item 200390339165 end time May-30-10 13:29:24 PDT)

What do you guys think of this one? I looked up the speaker it is usually put in (Definitive Technology ProTower 400), and it goes down to 19hz, sensitivity of 91db, and I think it works at 8 Ohms. I asked the seller for more specs, so we'll see if he posts more.

Thanks!

That Definate Technology Woofer doesnt look like Much like a Subwoofer

Sure it Might Respond Down to 19 Hz....but if you want any Usable Output at that Frequency....that Little Woofer wont even Come Close....Not Even a Tangband would have enough Displacement...chris is right.

Good points. Yeah, I guess I'll wait for something interesting to maybe pop up on the BST forum. If nothing comes up, maybe I'll save up a little bit and go for one of those drivers that Cokewithlime suggested. The only reason why I've been reluctant to spend more than $30 is because it's powered with a Sony amp, and I don't want to buy a really nice subwoofer/woofer driver that will sound just as good as a $30 driver hooked up to that amp.

However, I'm still new to this, so I might be completely wrong :p My ultimate goal is to just have it sounding much better than it is (it can go fairly deep, but it's sooo muddy).

So maybe I should let that ad sit for a week or two, and if nothing comes up, maybe just buy something from PE?

Thanks!

Good points. Yeah, I guess I'll wait for something interesting to maybe pop up on the BST forum. If nothing comes up, maybe I'll save up a little bit and go for one of those drivers that Cokewithlime suggested. The only reason why I've been reluctant to spend more than $30 is because it's powered with a Sony amp, and I don't want to buy a really nice subwoofer/woofer driver that will sound just as good as a $30 driver hooked up to that amp.

However, I'm still new to this, so I might be completely wrong :p My ultimate goal is to just have it sounding much better than it is (it can go fairly deep, but it's sooo muddy).

So maybe I should let that ad sit for a week or two, and if nothing comes up, maybe just buy something from PE?

Thanks!

I've yet to see any single 6.5' driver get down to 19Hz in any size enclosure that would produce usable output levels !

SnoopKatt - consider this, the Sony amp is not that bad overall just somewhat underpowered - as pointed out previously by a number of posters - if you use a driver with higher efficiency (around 89>90db) you will really improve the usable output level that the Sony amp can deliver. Secondly, if you use a known and tested driver that provides tight controlled LF response, such as any I suggested, they will improve the character of the sub by getting rid of the mushy, smeared thumps. Finally if you every decide to built a new sub with a bigger amp at least you have a quality driver as a starting point.

Pretty much the same thing for me lol. I'm a college student, so I'm trying to get the best out of every penny, and I know exactly what you mean. You guys are definitely right about getting one of those better subs, and expansion is an excellent point. I couldn't imagine needing a bigger sub anytime soon (my room is 10'x15'), but you never know.

form109, were you able to easily put the sub back together once you got everything out of it? And would a 7" driver still be okay?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.