Sony SA-W303 Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and ladies and gentlemen!...finally being able to get the Front off...the 6.5" woofer hiding behind the Grille is Revealed....the Construction isnt too bad,Nice Paper Cone and Dustcap with an Equally Nice Rubber Surround..the Frame seems very Sturdy...but what is up with that Shielding?!..hasnt sony heard of Sheilding Cups?!

Attachments

• Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 002.JPG
    Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 002.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 003.JPG
    Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 003.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 004.JPG
    Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 004.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 005.JPG
    Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 005.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 001.JPG
    Sony 6.5 Bass I Love you 001.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 208
Apart from the shielding, that one looks similar to the one I messed with.

Nice to see you dismantled it.

Chris

Well...with a Decent Enough Power from the Amp...i might make a New Box and use a Higher Excursion Driver,and use the Original Driver for something Else.

YouTube - Sony 6 5 Bass I Love you 006

you can see a Video of it at Full Excursion in the Above link.

finally being able to get the Front off
How did you get the grill off? I have the Sony SA-WMS230 here in my office.
6 3/8" woofer, 50w RMS, 8 ohms, 20-150hz, 0.8% THD, 8 1/8" x 15 1/4" x 15 1/4" Advanced SAW Type enclosure.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

How did you get the grill off? I have the Sony SA-WMS230 here in my office.
6 3/8" woofer, 50w RMS, 8 ohms, 20-150hz, 0.8% THD, 8 1/8" x 15 1/4" x 15 1/4" Advanced SAW Type enclosure.

Well...your Subwoofer is abit Diffrently Constructed than mine...on my Sub...there was a Place near the Controls,where i could Wedge a Screwdriver between the Grille and the Front Plastic Panel...getting off the Grille didnt go 100 Precent Smooth...as the Grille had Pegs holding it to the Front Plastic Panel,some of these Pegs were glued in the matching holes,so as i pried it off the Pegs Broke off...this isnt such a bad thing..as the grille still holds on well enough without these pegs....the wooden enclosure also had Recessed holes...and these mated with the Pegs on the Plastic Front....two screws hold the Plastic Panel onto the actual Enclosure...if your sub is like mine...the Port is in two Pieces...the Main Section of the Port is a Rectangular Flared tube that is secured to the Enclosure with Four Screws,and the other Part is Molded on the Front Plastic Panel....while removing the Grille i did Scuff up the Plastic Panel Visably...so see if you can Wedge the Grille off...if you want to attempt this prepare to make the sub look a little less attractive.;)

Check out my Pic...and you can see the Area where near the controls..thats where i started at getting the grille off.

and also...Nice Sub..i like yours..it looks nice...probably a little more Output than mine.

Attachments

• SUB1.jpg
    SUB1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 69
Neat - I like the corner loading to create that extra low end.
Yeah, it out pounds our bedroom's sub. I got the Sony HT-CT100 for x-mas last year from my father.

It doesn't look like a complex BP2 box to me.
The front chamber = the PANEL ASSY, FRONT, if it forms an enclosure infront of the speaker plate.
The front port = the grill holes.
The rear chamber = the CABINET ASSY, SPEAKER.
The rear port = the not supplied port.

hmmmm....mine is Just a bass Reflex Box...the Plastic Part is Basically for cosmetics mostly...and to form the Front 1/4 of the Port,housing the Control board too.

The Amp seems to cut out abit on the lower Frequencies.

is this an intentional filter?

Put a 50Hz sine through it (or better yet, a play it at tuning frequency to avoid excursion problems) at full power. Measure the voltage across the speaker, and measure it's impedance. From there, you can work out power.

I've found 50W to be quite loud through my sub, so I don't understand why some people need kilowatts to get their subs working properly.

..............I don't understand why some people need kilowatts to get their subs working properly.

That is probably because in an effort to go as low as possible they trade off sensitivity. While it looks good on paper and can flap pants at very low frequencies it certainly wouldn't contribute much at usual audio frequencies we find in normal music. So where a normal 200 watt (!) amp might do , this extended LF capability system might need another 10dB of power or 2KW !:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.