Sonus Faber Extrema

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm back! Hurricane IKE slowed me down

Getting closer! Here are some more pics!

Attachments

• clone1.jpg
    clone1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,545
Nice work!!!
I envy your workmanship and result and hope for your sake they sound as impressive as the look!
Question time!
Since I have the Dynaudio DT330 and the Kef B139 speakers on a shelf in my cupboard I could need some advice regarding which woofer to use and how to calculate the size of the box for the arrangement of the woofer/kef unit.
Should I regard it as an closed box or as an "ordinary" passive radiator box when using a speaker design program to calculate the box size??
Suggestions for the bass unit: Dynaudio, ScanSpeak, Morel others...??
Size: 6,5", 8"...?
Values of components in crossover other than the 15 Ohm resistor in series with the tweeter?

Cheers
Thomas, Sweden

My friend has the Sonus Faber Extremas on 2 Meridian 557 amps bridged, which is like 800 watts. The Extremas need lots of power.
The 557 amps bridged sound great with the Extremas. If you use just 1 557 amp, its not enough power for the Extremas. He's also using Meridian 502 preamp, Meridian 566 24 dac and 500 transport.
Van Den Hul Cables.
His system sounds amazing
The Extremas used a modified Skanning midbase.
Its basically a Skaaning 7 1/2 Polypropelene midbase with a custom made Carbon Fiber material in the middle of the driver.
The regular Skaaning midbase is all Polypropelene. I think the Carbon Fiber adds an articulateness to the sound.
The midbase on the Extremas is the best sounding midbase I ever heard. It has a richness that no other midbase has. This Midbase on the Extremas is 18 years old and i'v yet to hear a better sounding midbase.

Thanks for reviving this thread Mike.
I recently built my own version of the SFE's, not nearly as 'cloned' as the OP's here, but the SFE's did indeed inspire me. Visit the link below for pics, construction details and measurements.
BTW, I solved the problem of cooling the tweeter series resistor a different way than using a heat sink.

Introducing the "INTIMATES" (high WAF & quality sound) - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

After speaking to Skaaning about two years ago he told me that the bass/mid is a slightly modified standard flex-driver with a basket exclusive for SF. So there are no problems contacting him, http://www.audiotechnology.dk and have him make two identical drivers minus the basket and the coating of the cone, which according to him solely was done for cosmetic reasons.

Thank you for the information.
I can`t find tne 7-1/2 in Flex unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.