Sonus Faber Extrema

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a TangBand. When using a normal woofer with coil and magnet for passive duty and not just a ''drone'' diaphragm, there is a way to control its damping by using resistance or even a short, between its terminals. When it moves passively, signal is created on its coil, like a microphone or a moving coil cartridge. So by resistively damping the current we can alter the freedom of movement just like having a break pedal. No the resistor is not having to do anything with the crossover, its just connected across the driver's terminals.

It's almost done!

Sorry for the delay on my response! I was impacted by Hurricane IKE and lost part of my project, but I'm back working on the project. I used the photos of actual Extrema to realize the roundness of the side panels, I also wanted the curve to follow the curv on the leather front piece. I used a Tang Bang driver instead of the KEF, since they are hard to find, or the condition is not that great in the case of used ones.

It wasn't easy to create the grooves!

Attachments

• grooves.jpg
    grooves.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,827
Re: Grooves!

bfard said:
David Gatti,

Yep, I'm planning to fill the grooves around the drivers, otherwise, this closed enclosure design will fail.

Besides Silicon, can you think of any other material? Silicon should do the job though.

Ideally the grooves would not have gone all the way to the driver cutout, or better still, the driver's were recessed.

Another option would be to use quite a thick gasket on your drivers and hope when it compresses it fully seals the grooves.

Hard to tell the depth and width of the grooves from the pics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.