Sonido fullrange driver thoughts?

For reference, for loading purposes you'd ideally need a Qt of 0.2 or just under, a Vas of between 60 - 75 litres and an Fs of 45Hz or lower, as this is the spec. for the FE206En I designed Kirishima for. Ideally, the axial FR would also follow it, or the FE208ESigma (which was the 'alternate' driver option) fairly closely, as the LF system response was intended to acoustically balance this -it was basically a form of mechanical response shaping / acoustic scaling. A bit of variation in the latter is okay, but the electromechanical spec. on the low end has tighter requirements or it won't function properly.

Reactions: 1 user
Not ideally suited to Kirishima I'm afraid; Qt on both is too high even at the highest voltage levels to match up with the designed loading bandwidth and size (200FC is borderline at the highest, providing you don't mind a slight increase in midbass & don't have anything else that might reduce damping). But I'm sure they'll suit other designs well.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sonido is already having 8" FC FR

:spin:

Yes indeed Mighty ZM…

Istvan…thank you for the data again…I was having difficulty finding it in my files.

The SWR200FC seems good as far as Fs is concerned.

It’s pretty close to what Scott was asking for regarding Qts?… if I were to run them at the highest current setting on the power supply (which is how I run the SWR250FC)

Still slightly off regarding Vas.

I’m not sure how close is close enough.

I would normally order a 16 Ohm version…not sure how that would affect things.

Edit: Scott beat me 😉

Qt on the 8ohm 200FC is about 35% higher on the maximum voltage than the FE206En Kirishima was designed for -roughly 0.19 plays 0.29, or to put it another way, more or less equivalent to the 206En on the end of an amplifier with a 4ohm output impedance, which is at the upper limit of the design assumption (206En with an amplifier in the 2.5ohm - 4ohm category). Providing no significant series R is in circuit & as noted you don't mind a bit of excess midbass, then under that maximum voltage it should be okay, but not ideal under others as the raised Q changes the load requirements & it no longer matches the horn gain BW.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Absolutely…however, I’ve not had a good record regarding time and commitment to cabinetry projects.

That’s the reason I was exploring driver options with these beautiful Kirshimas I happened upon.

To be honest, there is no way I could have pulled them off for what I paid for them just in materials nowadays…let alone the time and commitment.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for your time and input Scott…I’m not gonna continue to try and put a square peg in a round hole.

Now that I have had the opportunity to hear a well designed back horn like the Krishimas…and also will have other drivers that I can play with in them…I will keep my eyes open for any designs that may surface from you regarding the Sonidos. Especially the SWR250FC.

The full quality (Qts) of the speaker is one of the main parameters that determines in which design it is desirable use the speaker. For a bass reflex box the ideal Qts is in the region of 0,38-0,4
But if the speaker has a low Qts below 0,3 then such a speaker is more suitable for a Horn.
This is the difference between the speakers of the SFR 175 series and the SWR 175 series.