Sonido fullrange driver thoughts?

Hello everyone. I am helping a friend with a fullrange project. He wanted some Voxativ drivers but, saw the price and just to much money. We stumbled upon a company called Sonido fullrange driver's. Looks really nice. Not to many reviews but the gallery has a lot of customers using these driver's. Also they are not to much money compared to other fullrange driver's. I did e mail the owner very nice and very helpful. I like that. So what are your thoughts and have you heard or know of anyone that has used or heard these fullrange driver's? Thanks jm

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
They look v nice. But I would like them more if having more L.F. extension for use as only a single driver - the AlNiCo 200 version looks best option for that. I’m shopping for alternatives to Audio Nirvana due to their steep price increase from Trump Tax.

edit: Sonido SWR200-8 ALNICO | HiFiCompass

Last edited:
They look v nice. But I would like them more if having more L.F. extension for use as only a single driver - the AlNiCo 200 version looks best option for that. I’m shopping for alternatives to Audio Nirvana due to their steep price increase from Trump Tax.

edit: Sonido SWR200-8 ALNICO | HiFiCompass

I didn't want to start a fire but, common sense upped the price last year before the tax bill went into effect. I have a pair of their super 3s just before the price increased. Built quilty is normal. I really like the dust cap. Sticky surround is a no no in my book. I have no idea what I am going to do with the drivers? Well I think Sondio drivers are priced nice with the Alnico versions. My friend is also looking at the dayton P220 8 inch fullrange driver's but I have no info on them just the fostex fullrange drivers And Mark Audio's fullrange driver's.

Last edited:
I’m sure they have been pricing increases before for me it started in January when I asked him to ship me a pair of speakers To my hotel whilst I was travelling to the US which would have saved shipping costs ( Canadians have a generous import allowance) but he was on vacation so I asked him again in April during my next trip but he was on vacation again and after that I noticed that the price had gone up Since January so I’m looking at alternatives which can ship directly to Canada from outside the US

The Hungarian drivers look quite interesting they look well-made and the specifications look good but I’m not sure that they are a good price or not ?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have the SFR-200a in small open baffle with an Eminence 15" woofer below that, biamped. They are nicely flat on axis, but that transforms into slightly dull sound in some rooms (rolls off too soon) - compared to Lowther DX-2 with its bump in the response, which measures quite flat in my room and listening position. I yet have to build a pair of proper boxes for them. The build quality is great and solid.

I've mostly had to quit audio due to issues away from this site. However, wombling by on & off, I noticed the thread. I've had an eye on the Sonido units for a good number of years, ever since a friend pointed them out. From an aesthetic POV I quite like that eastern European / ex-Soviet engineering ambience they have going. Be that as it may, Dave & I have a new range of enclosures using the SFR models in the works for our Woden site -I completed the basic work back in October last year for those models, some for the SWRs also on the drawing board.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
their oldest - rectangular - version of Aion horn for 8" FR is pretty good , to my ears even better than later , more rounded and prettier iterations of same

moderately sized rooms ( say up to 4x5m) , amp of 10-20W more than enough

I like them more than Lowthers - no trickery needed to get shoutless sound , they're like that right from the box

besides that , observe that the're having now even bigger (than 8") FR and , of course , ER drivers

they're making even oval FR , by constructor words - lower distortion than comparable sized round drivers

disclaimer - once when you're spoiled with 15" cones for fundament , there is simply no way going back to 8'' as basis , being horn loaded or not ....... my case , at least

that's the reason why I don't have Sonido FR anymore , they're gone to my friends and they're happy with them

I resorted to bigger boxes ....... could go with 8" plus 12" helper , but was curious trying other things .... not better , just different

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
disclaimer - once when you're spoiled with 15" cones for fundament , there is simply no way going back to 8'' as basis , being horn loaded or not ....... my case , at least

that's pretty much where I'm at too. I'm thinking about building a pair of stereo boxes around either 12" or 15". I have a mono single 15" for several years and it really spoils you for anything else.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
my general experience - once you have good driver in your hands , it's easy solving the cabinet

original (plan published of Sonido site) horn for them is ..... well , enough horny :)

regarding your particular question , bigger guys will chime in , I'm pretty clueless/inexperienced when horn construction is in question

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like what I'm seeing of the SFR-145A I'm wondering if they'll work well in a Frugal horn?

Q and Fs close to the FE166 but the Vas is way smaller… not quite as small as for FE126. It should work in the Frugel-Horn Mk3 but with the same warning room loadin gas with the FE126 (ie you’ll likely need to use thse corners)

dave