Sonido fullrange driver thoughts?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
That would indicate an over-abundance of Manly-ness.

One of my friends used to paint the engine blocks in his street-racing car pink.

It was always amusing when someone would ask to see what he had under the hood after they lost.

My little “sweet pea” daughter, who I often turn to in an aesthetic crisis, says to “Paint It Black”…insert Mick Jagger lips.

She’s 13 now and has obviously entered that phase.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Arrrrrrrghhhhh!…REALLY?

Attachments

• F79E5128-EE05-4CD0-B8AC-F6880D4D6709.jpeg
    F79E5128-EE05-4CD0-B8AC-F6880D4D6709.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 188
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Rewired power supply box…just shot Istvan an email to run it by him and ask about output voltage I measured on the bench to make sure its where it should be…about 24.95V DC. Also asked him what setting he recommends for OB.

Working on second speaker…buddy coming over tomorrow and I’m hoping for a long audition with him and some feedback on recent projects.

Pic of the business side of things and the supply guts.

Attachments

• 7ADA17A6-3290-41FE-9DD1-18A297B09056.jpeg
    7ADA17A6-3290-41FE-9DD1-18A297B09056.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DD5FFCC2-4828-4AD4-8AA8-43CCC98C32E7.jpeg
    DD5FFCC2-4828-4AD4-8AA8-43CCC98C32E7.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 213
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Today is a big day…my son is graduating high school!!!

We will be partying to the sweet sounds if my newly renovated open baffles featuring these wonderful Sonido field coils!

And they are sweet…and full…and ballsy!

First fire up this AM after I finished wiring gave me a deep overtone that I thought was the lack of a top end and need for a tweeter.

After letting them play a few hours I came back and sat down for another listen.

Still bass heavy…so I dialed back the low frequency gain knobs on the B5 crossover.

I took a look at the T/S parameters associated with the
power supply settings.

Istvan said I can play as I like with them on open baffle.

I toggled through from 0-3 settings…according to the data sheet QTS drops as the current being fed to the magnet increases…did I care?

I wanted to free these babys from bass duties anyway.

They seemed to open up and give me little more sparkle.

Lovely room filling sound stage.

Upped the gain at my source…Macbook Pro…things just got better.

Break in?…meh…they sing

I may want to try my Fostex T90A on top to see what happens.

Will try and do some sweeps with REW and my mic eventually.

Amp of choice is F2J monoblocks.

Will have to figure out how to wire up the T90A…Papa has that article on crossovers for current source amps.

For now 😁😁😁

Attachments

• A18A5DA6-720D-40E3-A27C-6D1CAA5E8922.jpeg
    A18A5DA6-720D-40E3-A27C-6D1CAA5E8922.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi Chromenuts,

this is a cool project, what's the current status? I'm very interested because I'm planning to visit my native city of Budapest shortly, where the Sonidos come from, as you know, and would order the 8" speakers in advance so I can pick them up. So I can build another open baffle... :Popworm:
Many thanks in advance.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes indeed…I am very happy with the sound I am getting from these Sonido field coils. They are played every day.

I have not done any near field or room measurements as of yet…nor have I messed with a super tweeter. To be honest, I’m not anxious to.

I will say that repositioning of the speakers in the room gave me great improvements in sound stage…they are pushed out further and toed in a bit.

I am more preoccupied with resolving my BJ2 amps when I have time to work on them…chasing after some more current and I need better heat dissipation.

Even that is on pause with Fall knocking on our door here in New England…gotta sort the cars out for the cold season and service the furnace.

My greediness has me recently considering buying another pair of Sonido that would fit in a set of Oris front horns I have in storage to see what the results would be…they are that good.

Attachments

• BDB54BA0-0A5C-4EC2-BF99-09CFE469A072.jpeg
    BDB54BA0-0A5C-4EC2-BF99-09CFE469A072.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: 2 users
Hi,
Please the is T/S parameters SONIDO Field-Coil drivers.
/Istvan.

Attachments

• SCW300FC SWR096FC Kircheim P..pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 103
  • SWR250FC TS Fresp (1).pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 98
  • SWR 096 FC + P.Supply.JPG
    SWR 096 FC + P.Supply.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 127
  • SWR096FC-16 Ohm, SWR200FC-8 Ohm (1).pdf
    141.4 KB · Views: 79
  • SWR096FC Fresp and TS.pdf
    123.8 KB · Views: 76
  • SWR175FC-TA and Fresp.pdf
    231.5 KB · Views: 82
I've mostly had to quit audio due to issues away from this site. However, wombling by on & off, I noticed the thread. I've had an eye on the Sonido units for a good number of years, ever since a friend pointed them out. From an aesthetic POV I quite like that eastern European / ex-Soviet engineering ambience they have going. Be that as it may, Dave & I have a new range of enclosures using the SFR models in the works for our Woden site -I completed the basic work back in October last year for those models, some for the SWRs also on the drawing board.
Hello @Scottmoose ,
Have you completed designs for the Sonido drivers? I would be interested in a bookshelf box for the SFR175A due to the higher sensitivity. Aside from the Tamaraw, are there any others?
BTW, I don't understand why Sonido does not recommend the SFR series for a bass reflex box. The numbers show that it might work but I'm no expert. The Tamaraw you designed proves it.

I own a pair of SFR-145 AlNiCo and they are even better than my ferrite SFR-175s
@accuphase c2120
I find your comment very interesting since I am interested in purchasing one of these 2 drivers. I initially was looking at the SFR175A but the SFR145A seems to be the better one for mids and highs. Have you heard the SFR175A? Would you guess it's better than the SFR145A? Can you please comment more on the 2 drivers so I can make an informed decision? How is the imaging and soundstage for both? How are the mids and highs?

Hello @Scottmoose ,
Have you completed designs for the Sonido drivers? I would be interested in a bookshelf box for the SFR175A due to the higher sensitivity. Aside from the Tamaraw, are there any others?
BTW, I don't understand why Sonido does not recommend the SFR series for a bass reflex box. The numbers show that it might work but I'm no expert. The Tamaraw you designed proves it.
Not exactly. I did work up half a dozen or so designs, but I got the impression Sonido were rather uneasy about people designing speakers for / with their drive units, so rather than cause them any further (completely unintentional) offense, I simply abandoned the idea and moved on. Artes longae, vita brevis and all that jazz. I'm not even sure if I kept the design details -in a spirit of tidying the tame black hole I use as a filing system, I've been clearing out some of my HDDs over the last few months, as space is something I don't have very much of these days! :bawling:

Reactions: 1 user