• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sonic effects of tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rodango said:
There goes my dream of making tubes from beer bottles!!! lol
But then the question arises: what color of bottle? It is common knowledge (at least every beerophile knows) that beer from brown bottle has different taste than the same beer from green bottle. And Corona Cervesa comes in white bottle... Well, for me its taste is too transparent. I prefer the heavy, somewhat colored but emotional taste of beer from brown bottle ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: I have gas....

Evenharmonics said:

I suppose photo could help.

Here's a photo of my amp today. It will look different in a couple days because I'll be replacing the outputs with Hashimotos, painting the top black and putting on cocobolo side panels. The circuit is exceptionally simple and transparent. I was introduced to the Soviet mil-spec teflon caps on this project and they are superb. This amp sounds cleaner than my 300B amp.

P4060016.jpg

oshifis said:
But then the question arises: what color of bottle? It is common knowledge (at least every beerophile knows) that beer from brown bottle has different taste than the same beer from green bottle. And Corona Cervesa comes in white bottle... Well, for me its taste is too transparent. I prefer the heavy, somewhat colored but emotional taste of beer from brown bottle ;)

That's because the brown bottle blocks the UV from the sun better, and keeps the beer fresher longer than green or clear. European beers sent to the US in the latter two kinds of bottles are known for their "skunkiness" = oxidation.

Ok.. sorry for the really off topic, but I have to question this.

I wonder about that green bottle thing, or at least if it is detrimental. I personally like the occasional skunky beer, as do many people I know. Could it be that the brewery's know it will do that, and it is just part of the entire process of bringing you the beer? Besides that, as far as UV goes, those beers are in cardboard containers, inside of crates, inside of boats and trucks. not much UV getting in there.

Then to add to my argument, my dad worked for Anheuser Busch all of his working life. He won't drink anything but AB products. What's funny is he thinks anything darker, or anything slightly cloudy or w/ a little yeast left in it is a "mistake" or a result of being a "poor brewery".

Personally, I go for the dark or yeasty beers. Guinness is one of my favorites, as are hefeweizen brews.
My dad's got a million reasons why those beers are mistakes.

To bring it back on topic, fine audio, like fine beer, is all a matter of taste :).

One time I thought about how classical physics is enough to explain how a tube (ie. triode, pentode, etc.) works and how you need quantum mechanics to explain how a transistor works. Classical electromagnetic theory is essentially continuous unlike quantum mechanics. Is it possible that solid state electronics creates a kind of quantizing error distortion? Also, different conductors sound different. Oxygen free copper sounds less distorted than impure copper. Silver is better than copper according to some people. Silicon is a smaller atom and has less electrons than copper and silver. I tried comparing germanium and silicon transistors back when my hearing was better and found that germanium transistor circuits seemed to have a higher dynamic range or more natural and less restricted sound compared to silicon transistors. Bypassing electrolytic capacitors or using non-electrolytic capacitors in solid state circuits often improves the sound, too. Tube circuits usually don't use electrolytic capacitors for coupling stages. I found that bypassing electrolytic capacitors (filter and cathode resistor bypass capacitors) in tube circuits using polypropylene or mica capacitors improves the sound.

falis said:
Except that stale beer is science ;-)

Any of this starting to sound familiar?

I'm sure you realize this, but to be sure......... my post certainly wasn't an attack on what you said. More an attack on the Samual Adams commercial that goes off on green bottle beers.
I mean... no one at a brewery would know less than the consumer. If people like Heineken thought brown bottles were better for their product, they'd be using them!

wicked1 said:

I'm sure you realize this, but to be sure......... my post certainly wasn't an attack on what you said. More an attack on the Samual Adams commercial that goes off on green bottle beers.
I mean... no one at a brewery would know less than the consumer. If people like Heineken thought brown bottles were better for their product, they'd be using them!

Oh no, I didn't take it as attacking. It's just funny how the objective/subjective evaluation game plays out in so many areas.

- Ed

One time I thought about how classical physics is enough to explain how a tube (ie. triode, pentode, etc.) works and how you need quantum mechanics to explain how a transistor works. Classical electromagnetic theory is essentially continuous unlike quantum mechanics. Is it possible that solid state electronics creates a kind of quantizing error distortion?

I love tubes, but they have to work with quantized charges just the same as transistors. Until we get a quark device working, charge still comes in chunks of e.

OT: As a minor point, I actually get paid to study wine packaging. Beer is not very different. Bottle color does have an anti-UV function (in the carton it may be OK, but what about open boxes in a convenience store? Or supermarket refrigerator?), but 99% of the driver here is marketing and package appearance.

Re: Re: Re: I have gas....

salas said:
I have experimentally found that there are 2 audible thresholds for applying NFB. At 6dB NFB and 12dB NFB the sonic characteristics of an amp distinctly change. Did you ever experience that?

Definitely! Less than 6db(v) doesn't really seem to do much good, and leads to an overly "aggressive" sound, even if you aren't hearing any overt nastiness. At 12db(v), you start getting that "solid statey" sound. 12db(v) makes certain types of music (e.g. Techno, Grunge, Metal) sound "subdued" and somewhat lifeless. This music needs a bit of "edge" to come alive, and sounds best with 6db(v). That's enough to lend some "edge" while keeping the woofers under control for bass that packs plenty of "authority" without underdamped sloppiness. Classical, OTOH, can stand more gNFB and still sound very good. For a production amp where you want to minimize user management, 12db(v) would be a good compromise value of fixed gNFB.

Of course, all of the above applies only if you did the open loop design right, and are adding gNFB to improve an already good sounding design, not trying to sweep your mistakes under the carpet.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: I have gas....

Miles Prower said:
Of course, all of the above applies only if you did the open loop design right, and are adding gNFB to improve an already good sounding design, not trying to sweep your mistakes under the carpet.

Exactly as you described, is my sonic experience. I asked for other people's experiences, because I get those NFB dB(V) sonic thresholds and I haven't seen it being pointed out before.
In the end, it seems that people do hear the same stuff, when something comparable is under control. Thanks.

:)

SY said:
I love tubes, but they have to work with quantized charges just the same as transistors. Until we get a quark device working, charge still comes in chunks of e.

Wouldn't an octillion electrons traveling through a vacuum have an infinite number of possible energy levels (kinetic energy) based on classical physics? I found one interesting thing in my collection of xerox copies about electron traps in silicon (see link to pdf file). The relaxation times are in the audio region.

http://ephysics.fileave.com/audio/traps.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.