Solder for hand soldering

Running out of my beloved solder :|

Have had a big spool of solder for many years. It has worked just perfect for all my soldering from wire to the smallest SMD components.
I'm not sure which brand it was as the label has come off, but I think it was Weller, and I'm sure it was containing a bit of Silver.

I'm now trying to get some now solder, but have not been successful yet, and hope someone can help me here

I have bought a small spool of Stannol Sn95,5,5Ag3,8Cu0,7 so that means lead free for SMD (2% flux), and a small spool of Stannol Sn60Pb40 (1% flux)
Both 0,5 mm as is my old solder.

The lead free is maybe a bit better than the leaded, but both is really not easy to apply .... like they do not want to stick on the pcb.
Maybe it is because the old solder has a higher amount of flux .... when using flus on the pcb it flows better, but still not at all like the old solder!!

There is small markings on the red spool, H .... something and the number 63/37-E .... might mean Sn63Pb37 maybe .....

Hope someone can help here with good advice :)

/Baldin

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 110
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 109
Hi Hugo

Thanks, yes it is what it says .... 183 - 190° for HF32 SMD and 227° for 2630 Ecoloy
Maybe I should have chosen the normal HF32 ... as it has 3.5% Flux ......

Thanks for the offer amplidude, but it seems to be very much the same as the 2630 ...

I'll try to put the temp a bit higher for the lead free

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am very happy with this setup
  • Hakko FX-888
  • Multicore solder / 63-37 / wire diameter .015" == 0.38 mm (sales link at DigiKey)
  • Temperature 405C / 760F
Also take a look at the special exotic solder sold in the diyAudio Store. Many Forum members absolutely love it.

_

Attachments

• blurbus_snappus_maximus.png
    blurbus_snappus_maximus.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I use leaded solder although I am ready to use the new unleaded solders if they have very similar properties like leaded solder. I have read that modern solders are brittle and they tend to develop dry joints after some years. If this is not true I might consider using non-leaded solder.