Software Crossover/Equalizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem seems to be that port 8080 is already in use, so SXQ cannot bind. In a future release I may use another port or make it a command line option. Port 8080 may be used by Tomcat, Apache, JBoss, or for example by an Eclipse or Netbeans plugin. If that is the case you may try to configure the other service to use another port or switch it off for now. The volume control only appears as soon as SXQ is configured properly and streaming.

I have come to the conclusion that port 8080 is a bit of an unfortunate choice. I will change it to a very obscure port. I do not want to require SXQ users to do IP administration. The only problem with that is that upgrading users will find that their bookmarks dont work anymore..

Last edited:
Ah, well my success was short lived. I can reach the Platform Settings page. I selected the input (Cable Output VB-Audio Virtual Cable) my output device (my soundcard) number of channels out (8) and sample frequencies (both 48kHz). Then I clicked the SAVE button. "Waiting for 127.0.0.1..." appears at the bottom of the page (the messaging area) and stays there for some time (20 sec) before clearing.

When I try to move on to the I/O Configuration page the following error appears at the top of the web page:
"set device configuration first".

It seems that the configuration is not being correctly written or is not detected by SXQ.

The firewall is set to allow public and private network access to SXQ. Not sure what is going on now...

Lets assume that a sxq_pf.prp is written in the SXQ directory. Couple of things worth checking: Did you configure the output device as 8 channel surround in Windows? Is the output sample rate of the VAC the same as SXQ input sample rate?

I can tell you for certain that no file, apart from what was extracted from the downloaded RAR file, is the the SXQ directory. Perhaps I need to give +wx permission to SXQ?

I will check the other things you mention now.

I had not configured the virtual cable driver until now and you were correct that the sample rate was different than what I was choosing when configuring SXQ. But after making rate (48k) and bit depth (24 bit) the same for the virtual cable driver, my soundcard, and SXQ the same error is still appearing and no prp file appears in the SXQ directory.

File I/O simply defaults to the directory of the executable, unless that is changed in win 8.1?? strange thing is that really nothing special is attempted by the code up until the point where the file is written. Seems something prohibits the file from being written.. A virus scanner of sorts? dont know at this point, but will see what I can find out. pls let me know if you happen to resolve this..

Last edited:
File I/O simply defaults to the directory of the executable, unless that is changed in win 8.1?? strange thing is that really nothing special is attempted by the code up until the point where the file is written. Seems something prohibits the file from being written.. A virus scanner of sorts? dont know at this point, but will see what I can find out. pls let me know if you happen to resolve this..

FIXED!

I disabled my anti-virus program (AVG AntiVirus Free) and sure enough the php file was written. Arrhg. I didn't think that would be a problem because I had previously gotten a warning from AVG about SXQ and I thought I had told AVG to permit operation. I will have to check into this a little more.

Now I can at last explore the software. Yea!

I have now been able to do some initial testing with the software. Interesting and mostly works as advertised.

The only way I can successfully set up the platform, configuration, and build the DSP chain is to completely disable (turn off) my anti-virus program and run AXQ as admin. Once that process is complete, I can exit SXQ and restart it and the DSP chain works just fine. If I want/need to modify the DSP chain, I need to exit and run SXQ as admin again. Also, it seems critical to have the VB Cable driver and my soundcard are both set to the same sample rate in the O/S, but I guess this makes sense. The bit depth doesn't seem to be a problem - more specifically my equipment can do 24 bits and even if VB cable is set to 24 bits and I play a 16 bit file (a ripped CD track) things still work.

The most problematic thing now is ticks/pops and dropouts. These seem to be the biggest playback hurdle for now. Definitely not acceptable. In fact I did notice some ticks/pops and dropouts even with no filters selected.

So far I think that this effort is a great start although the present incarnation is still slightly buggy. For instance I did play around with the shelf filters but I could not get the parameter S to do anything, or at least the graphics don't change and I didn't perceive a difference in headphones (although this was just a quick listen) when I varies S over the acceptable range mentioned on the web page.

I do like how I can change the filters in real time and the audio just mutes temporarily and then comes back smoothly with the updated filter set in place. You have definitely created a long list of filters to choose from. I think with some continued work to iron out some of these issues this will be a really awesome PC-based crossover tool. Since there are many affordable multichannel soundcards as well as audio via HDMI you will likely have a large DIY audience who will want to use this kind of tool.

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

I am a bit surprised to hear that you have clicks pops and dropouts - that is completely unacceptable. I wish I could reproduce that over here. It almost sounds like you checked the synchronization box.. dont do that.. otherwise I would like to know what adapter you use so I may try and reproduce.

I am a bit surprised to hear that you have clicks pops and dropouts - that is completely unacceptable. I wish I could reproduce that over here. It almost sounds like you checked the synchronization box.. dont do that.. otherwise I would like to know what adapter you use so I may try and reproduce.

I did a little more testing and it seems to be soundcard dependent. The problematic one, giving me pops and dropouts, is an M-Audio ProFire 610. This is an external box connected to my computer via Firewire. Pity, too, because it has 10 outputs. Perfect for multi-channel audio. It uses an ASIO driver and has been pretty reliable in the past.

When I switched over to the internal RealTek sound built into my motherboard there are absolutely no pops or dropouts.

I'll keep playing around and report any other issues that I discover.

I've continued to test out SXQ with my onboard audio - it uses the Realtek ALC892 HD audio codec that I have configured for 7.1 audio. I am able to get SXQ to work well with 2 or 6 channels but when I try 8 channels I get some low level static in addition to the music although I did not experience any dropouts.

Crystal clear with 6 channels, at least on the two that I am monitoring via headphones.

Also, you asked about thread usage. I tried to check the number of threads in use under 2, 6, and 8 channel mode and it looks like there are either 11 or 13 threads in use no matter how many channels you are using. I got the thread counts from the Windows resource manager.

The CPU usage is practically zero, and much less than 1%. Impressive. This could probably run on a small fanless PC.

Just saw this thread and would like to mention that Voicemeeter Banana (also from VB-Audio) includes a 8 channel Full Parametric EQ (6 Cells) that can be used to correct home cinema P.A. system or as crossover (thanks to a stereo repeat BUS mode, copying signal to channel 3,4 / 5,6 and 7,/8 to drive 2, 3, or 4 ways speaker system...

User manual and download on VB-Audio VoiceMeeter

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here are some more issues that I have come across:

Sometimes when I launch the configure page I get the following non fatal errors:

ERROR_DRIVER - W-Init
ERROR_INIT - W-SetDevice
ERROR_INIT - W-Start
ERROR_INIT - stopEngine-W-SetDevice
ERROR_INIT - stopEngine-W-Stop
ERROR_INIT - stopEngine-W-Free

If I am lucky, to clear this error I only need to retry the platform settings and after that everything works again. Sometimes I can not clear these errors and can not proceed even if I close and restart SXQ, so I resort to deleting the php files in the SXQ directory to restore normal operation. This also deletes the crossover, but since I am just experimenting at this point I am not actually losing anything of consequence.

Also, I am sometimes having problems making changes to the platform. I am doing this to test out different output devices and sample rates. SXQ seems to register the platform but when I try to move on to the I/O Configuration I again get the error "set device configuration first" and the platform page is reloaded. Sometimes exiting and restarting SXQ clears this error but not always.

I went back and re-tried the M-Audio external soundcard. I did this because I had only tried it in 8 channel mode. I was experiencing problems but I also experienced problems when in 8 channel mode with the internal Realtek sound codec. Using the M-Audio I could not get clean audio even in 2 channel mode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.