Soft start & Soft Switch circuit: can anybody help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I whipped up a layout yesterday...it comes in around 3.75" square, which isn't too shabby. I need to tidy things up a bit, but I thought I'd post it to get some feedback. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• soft_start.gif
    soft_start.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 913
Here's the .brd file for it...I cleaned up the silk layer and a couple little things.

As for the values / specs, they are identical to those in the schematic in post #7 of this thread and to ESP Project #39. The one difference is that I only had room to use two limiting resistors in the soft start circuit, so you would probably want to increase the size/wattage of these two as compared to the project.

Attachments

• switch_start.zip
    8 KB · Views: 233
That sounds like a good suggestion...I could definitely give that a shot. Thanks!

As for 240V mains...currently, the primary side of the transformer is wired for 120V operation, although I could add some jumpers to make it switchable between the two.

I'll work on it a bit over lunch and hopefully have an updated version later today :D

I guess I should add that I used the Schrack RT series relays in the design on this. I've used them before in other projects, and they work well and are compact for their ratings. They are available at Mouser.

BrianDonegan: Interesting...seems to be a based on a solid state relay? I suppose you'd just need to design the switch circuit to close an additional relay that would apply the necessary control voltage. Not a bad setup :cool:

BrianDonegan: Are you using a momentary switch in your design? If so, it doesn't seem like that would work...it needs constant DC voltage to operate. Also, it seems like you'd need a really small secondary voltage on that transformer to not exceed the 10V maximum of the control voltage. I think digikey has some Amveco ones with 6VAC secondaries though...

ble0t said:

Seems like your solution would work fine...I just like having a soft switch :D

Any place for an LED?

If you are going to order some of these bds for yourself and others, count me in! I believe these are single sided for etching your own as well?

A BOM would be great for the footprints and reccomendations for IC1,IC2,Q1,Trans, relays and radial res. recommendations for people like me who just fell off the diy truck.

Best - Stan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.