SOAP MKIII (Simple OpAmp Pre) With onboard PSU

Oh. i noticed you opened another thread.
The cap on the output is a DC blocking cap. It is there to prevent any dc gettting to the power amp.

In your tests, did you try your power amp without the preamp?
Just so we can rule out that it is the power amp that is making trouble.

/JZ

I checked the board all over. I have added more solder to the pads at C15 - C18. I am not sure that it matters which of the 3 holes you use. However having done that and re-installed it, it all seems to be working as it should.

Incidentally should you be able to test continuity for a polarised cap (i.e between + and -) (no current flowing through cap)

justblair said:

Hey, Get back in touch anytime, cant remember what you did with the speaker, I might fair better if I work out your real name (email) how did you get on?

Hey Mr. Blair. Remember me. I was the one in asking about Mission speaker modification based on you mod with your 753. We meet at http://forum.lowyat.net/Audiophiles

justblair said:

I can confirm, the calculator works for the 337, and also the negative varients as well.

Sorry to hear your preamps puzzling you puffin.

Oh and thanks for the shameless plug trip!

So it's conform that the calculator works positively for both LM337 & LM317....

What's the shameless plug trip :confused:

AndrewT said:
what is the worst case (high) voltage that can appear across these caps from your transformer?

explosion...!!!! I have a an allergy to high voltage curent...:xeye:

zei said:
gabanyayaya:
With you transformer that should be fine.

The answer to AndrewT,s question is also you answer :)

/JZ

Thank you zei...

Hmmm...any simple tweak can can be done to the SOAP???

Using a different OpAmp would for shure alter the "sound".
If it is to the better however is another story ;) You could always ask Tripmaster what he thinks about it. :)

Changing the output caps to another type/brand might also give another voicing....

Some swears by using expensive fancy pancy resistors....

:)

Try and report back your impressions :cool:

Puffin: How are things working for you?

/JZ

Zei. Great thanks. I did post a bit earlier on to say that I had corrected any problem I had. It seemed that soldering the whole of the pads at C15 - C18 cured the problem. It shouldn't matter which hole the caps are soldered to, but as I say I am now getting no bad noises or DC.