SOAP MKIII (Simple OpAmp Pre) With onboard PSU

Tripmaster said:
For me...improving the quality of the in/output caps gave the most noticeable improvement.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1672816#post1672816

exactly but start with the regular one first such as the wima then gradually to more expensive and so called audiophile cap to hear improvement.....

good replacement for the opamp is just go for discrete type...

finish mine but put on halt for a while.....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

pacificblue said:

I used the e-mail button in your last post already twice. I'll try again now. If you don't receive anything, check, if your e-mail address is spelled correctly in your profile.
Hmm.. I checked profile - it's ok, and some other Users wrote PM's through this forum to me.

P.s. I recieved one strange mail from "mountain@..." recently, but I think it's not You, right?

Plz try manualy to mxs.stream @ gmail.com

I,m putting the final touch on a "new" version of the SOAP and i am going to order a few boards.

I,ll post some more info when time is......

Changes are small and will mostly be to match parts to a specific partnumber on Farnell or mouser or something..
Also transformer onboard is considered... (not decided on this yet though)
The regulators will be standard 7815/7915 to even more reduce cost and number of parts. (No change in sound)
Input cap is on the loose.. (No final desicion on this either yet)

Suggestions are of course welcome..

Later :cool:

/JZ

Hi.

Mike, yes, it's possible, I just need to buy more pcb...

Here is my SOAP, its almost done.. Just need to add pots and adjust voltages.

Btw, I changed three values (according to parts, which was in by box...)
1. LM317 - resistor from 120 to 160R.
2. Input RC - resistor from 15k to 20k.
3. small capacitors - from 100nf to 68nF.

As I understand these replacement are safe, right?

Those look great Stream ! :)

The input caps look awesome :cool:

Now, I planned to redo the layout abit to make it a tad even simpler. However i have,nt had the time for it realy and i,m actualy thinking of just leaving it as it is. It is already simple..

So i,m proberly going to order a bunch of boards again. (and keep one of them this time :D )

Drop me an email if there is any interrest..

/JZ

One more photo.

It's almost ready. Just need to add connectors and mosfets on headamp.

P.s. that photos, which I have posted before has one mistake , stupid mistake :)
I placed 2*lm317 instead of 317+337 :)
When I was testing SOAP, I was embarrased, why negative rail has +20V instead of -10.5V :)

hi everybody,

i got 2 questions regarding the SOAP preamp. hope somebody can give some comments

1. Is ok to use a choke with the SOAP before transformer since i have spare unused.

2. I need to know what type of fuse should i use with this preamp before transformer if i feed it with 230VAC?

Thanks

gabanyayaya said:
hi everybody,

i got 2 questions regarding the SOAP preamp. hope somebody can give some comments

1. Is ok to use a choke with the SOAP before transformer since i have spare unused.

2. I need to know what type of fuse should i use with this preamp before transformer if i feed it with 230VAC?

Thanks

Are you sure you don't mean choke AFTER the transformer?

As in a CLC supply?

Never heard of a choke on the AC side.. I guess it is possible...

The choke (inductor....or what ever it is) was given by a friend who previously use it in his diy amp. Put it before the tranny and it works.

No value but he said up to 150VA....

Need to know is it worthwhile doing this for the SOAP and if yes why it's not popular among solid state builders....

And what's the fuse option for a tranny used i like mention before?

Last edited by a moderator: