Small Signal Listening Comparison Test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
ABX T v S:

View attachment 387613

I find my own performance hard to believe. If difference is apparent, it is right after switching. A few seconds of A, then X or Y, then answer or stop. After answer or stop, pause before next trial.

No way to make preference. Bad choices are often made this way in showrooms. Extended listening with diverse music selection

Great result there. When you are in a suitable frame of mind its surprising sometimes how differences become apparent. I found that with some of Pavels tests.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
With RST all files are not worth listening so it may be difficult to choose (tho my first reflex is always towards direct). But listening to LMN, it is obvious that only one file stand out. It is L with accurate brush sound and tolerable noise. M is clearly messy here.

I know you didn't like my choice of musak :D but both sets of files were recorded in one session.

Great result there. When you are in a suitable frame of mind its surprising sometimes how differences become apparent. I found that with some of Pavels tests.
Listening is all about technique - there are myriads of ways one can "listen" to something, it all depends upon the mental focus at the time. One can consciously play games with one's hearing, as in: I'll listen to these 2 versions of a track and make them sound different - or alternately, I will make them sound the same!

To get around this "problem" one has to play a further "game" - switch the mind sideways, listen without listening, :), go into a somewhat meditative state, etc. An easy way to pick good vs. bad sound is to wind up the volume, then deliberately engage in conversation with the person next to you. The back of your mind then very quickly can decide that sound is definitely bad!!

R S T wrap up; pairings of T with S, and T with R each show some sort of statistically perceptible differences.

Here is R with S. First I locked onto guess wrong logic:

ABX R v S 1 of 10.png

And then convinced myself to reverse the logic:

ABX R v S 8 of 10.png

For these results about 5 seconds of vocal was used. My focus seemed to cycle while trying to concentrate on spacial elements of voice and its reverberant field. 8/10 was achieved with very short pauses between trials consisting of a couple of short breaths.

I see no rational basis for forming preference.

With Cakewalk Sonar, automation features allow assignment of solo buttons to group with inverted behavior such that pressing one solo button causes solo button of 2nd track to toggle as well. This allows mouse to hover in one location, which allows eyes to be closed. Rapidly clicking several times on solo button with eyes closed hides identity of tracks, and allows for blind selection before opening eyes. With well aligned tracks, no pops/ticks are heard. With this set up for R and S, a slight difference may exist in attack of hand percussion.

A rash preference on perceived attack sounds would be order of T, S, and R. This would take a lot of time to decide on, and would likely change listening to different recordings.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks guys.

I have occasionally had that run of 100% "wrong" choice with foobar. I guess there is some statistical reasoning behind that. You think, yep that's X or Y because... and vote... and its wrong choice. And again, and again. So you must be hearing a difference but have the difference flipped over in your mind or whatever.

When it comes to living with audio components long term, that to me is where the real differences become apparent. (I was reading some of the replies in the Blowtorch thread as its wandered onto this subjective part of the topic... I rarely post there though... a tin hat being an essential accessory :D) Anyhow, ultimately the good system is the one that you can listen to for hours, the one that gets you to explore different music, different artists, the one that has you buying half a dozen versions of the same music. That system is the real winner. And that is what I look for now in any design.

I have occasionally had that run of 100% "wrong" choice with foobar. I guess there is some statistical reasoning behind that.

Hehehe may be it is what the unbelievers say as listening bias or something (I don't remember).

For me it's different. Take for example when I did ABX of R and T when I was sick that day. I had the confidence can go quite fast to 5/5. After that I moved back and forth, back and forth, and couldn't "hear" difference ( I could but didn't know which one is natural and which was not). I took a break and worse I forgot what to look for. Then got 6/6 and realized that it would take more than an hour to get to 7/7 and higher.

The point is, I always sure when there is difference. Problem is I can hear it in seconds but sometimes in hours! So no guessing for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.