Slim Speakers using Aura 3" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, got the tiny speakers kinda put together. I need to re-make the baffles for these guys, but I wanted to listen to them. These are Dayton ND65's with 2.5" drivers.

Keep in mind, I'm still going to round the edges and stain the oak.

IMG_20110310_210959.jpg

IMG_20110310_211016.jpg

IMG_20110310_211036.jpg

IMG_20110310_220713.jpg

IMG_20110311_000449.jpg

IMG_20110311_000501.jpg

These things sound absolutely amazing with the 20w x 2 Lepai amp. The fidelity is uneblievable. They won't win SPL competions obviously, but they sound a LOT bigger than they have any right to sound. The frequency response is absolutely awesome, and the bass, while not being very loud, is very impressive for 2.5" drivers. These truly pack a LOT of sound for the size they come in. I'm still going to add some more poly-fill and trim the cabinet depth by 1/2" to control excursion a bit more.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Thanks! Unfortunately, those rounded flares were the only option for me. I am already over-budget for this build with having to buy the router bits. The trimming and roundover bits together were $38. Perhaps when I build a set for myself I might be able to pick up a 45 degree bit, but at this point its not an option for me. I imagine the roundover should work still work fairly well though. The roundovers are actually 1/8" recessed into the board as well.

A roundover on the inside works just fine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Yes . According to IEC panel standard measurement , 45° is even too low ,60° would be better . For a speaker of this size , well ...That's Xdream revolution's
task to determine whether or not those may influence somehow the sound .

Thick baffles that are not beveled, chamfered or opened up on the inside are audible. A very thick baffle acts like a short tunnel. You wouldn't mount a tunnel in front of a driver, so why have one behind the driver? A tunnel mucks up the midrange giving it a cupped or honky sound. Yes, I've done before and after listening tests. If one cannot bevel or roundover inside, then the next best alternative is o apply some absorbing material inside the "tunnel."
I contributed a small tips and techniques article on the above topic to audioXpress magazine.

I'm whole heartedly for thick baffles, but I prefer a very thin baffle edge in the proximity of the driver.

Last edited:
Got some more progress done this weekend on the towers.

I painted them with the 50-50 wood glue and water two coats, then sanded. I was amazed at how smooth they sanded after the wood glue got soaked in and dried up. With 400 grit sandpaper, it seriously felt as smooth as glass. I also got them almost completely primed. I put 3 coats on, and I have to put another coat so that I would have enough substance to sand down.

IMG_20110312_221726.jpg

IMG_20110312_221743-1.jpg

IMG_20110313_212538.jpg

IMG_20110313_213719.jpg

IMG_20110313_171924.jpg

IMG_20110313_212552.jpg

In talking to a friend of mine, I realized that these are perfect for an apartment. The reason being is that they aren't as loud as a 10" powered sub, but can still produce musical bass down to the high 30's with surprising volume. I have another guy interested too.

I have some pictures to post of recent progress. Got the primer sanded down, and started painting.

IMG_20110315_175814.jpg

First coat:
IMG_20110315_180718.jpg

IMG_20110315_180730.jpg

Second coat:
IMG_20110315_202828.jpg

IMG_20110315_202838.jpg

They say practice makes perfect, and this is certainly the case here. Lesson learned: don't use brush on primer. Next time I'll be using spray on primer. While I wet sanded the cabinets to get rid of the brush strokes, some still remained and you can see them in these pictures. That's not going to be a problem with the next set I make.

On the bright side, I realized that each can gets me at least 2 coats, and I have 3 cans. I was expecting each can to last me only one coat. This is great because I'll be sanding between every 2 coats and that may do wonders in getting rid of some of those brush strokes, or at least I hope. I'm guessing that 6 coats of clear coat will follow as well if the clear coat lasts me as long as the black paint does.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
They say practice makes perfect, and this is certainly the case here. Lesson learned: don't use brush on primer. Next time I'll be using spray on primer. While I wet sanded the cabinets to get rid of the brush strokes, some still remained and you can see them in these pictures. That's not going to be a problem with the next set I make.

You can use a small paint roller instead. Then you can buy a big, cheaper can of primer and cut down on the fumes.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Emasculating, but do whatever you have to do to raise the WAF....

edited to add a technical point: Those squiggles are going to be pretty bloody annoying if these are used in a home theater where you want everything dark and non-reflective....

Last edited:
Emasculating, but do whatever you have to do to raise the WAF....

edited to add a technical point: Those squiggles are going to be pretty bloody annoying if these are used in a home theater where you want everything dark and non-reflective....

No, not to be used in a home theater. When i build myself a set, they're going to be black only. These will be used in his "office" to blast classic rock while he works and plays COD. :D

Got one driver completely done and I had to listen. My Lepai amp kept shutting down on me so I went to my room and hooked up my Yamaha receiver.

So far, I'm only using one of these since the second cabinet isn't done yet, and I have to say I am VERY impressed with the sound coming out of this one driver.

My father in law will be using these on a two channel amp and I know for a fact he will be nothing but truly impressed. The sound stage is quite incredible. Its incredible to believe that these are only two 4" drivers. Even with only one of these in a 350 square foot room, it fills the entire room with very detailed, excellent sound and enough bass presence to not need a sub.

That being said, I still have to hook up the second.

I just played Rag Doll by Aerosmith and definitely hit over 110db to the point where it was uncomfortably loud. I can't even imagine what two of these will sound like, but I'm sure they will be nothing short of epic. Finishing the second one will be the first thing I do tomorrow when I get home from work.

IMG_20110321_002729.jpg

I don't know why, but I love that paint-job.
I usually don't feel anything when it comes to paint-jobs.

I'm building desktop MTM or TMM with the same NS4 and a neo-tweeter.
I'm not sure which is better for a nearfield application. Maybe I could even make one of the woofers fire out the back.
Any opinions?

I mostly think it's better to combine similar topics/builds in threads, but I don't know when it becomes "thread hijacking."

Last edited:
Jimmy,

If you have room for a small floor stander, then I have a design that might be worth checking. Your post prompted me to comment that my MTM mass loaded transmission line speakers have been duplicated many times over. I use the Aura NS3-193-08 drivers and every user have positive comments on this design. There is a long build thread on one of the Parts Express forums at:

Jim Griffin's Aura T-line 2-way

Check out that thread as it may be what you are thinking.

Jim

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.