Slim Speakers using Aura 3" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Your way is the proper way when using a piezo tweeter.
Some of them have frequency all the way out to 30Khz!

As you have to cross lower, you may have to take on a different strategy. i have successfully used it down to 10k.

Even the guys with hearing loss, i believe, can often benefit from extension beyond what the sin waves mention.

If the tweeter has a larger differential then you cross over higher. One local installation had the XO set at over 50kHz to get the T900 down to match the FE206eSR

On the last, 2 factors make this doable. The tweeters have a natural fall-off at the higher frequencies, and our ears get less sensitive this high up.

If it works for you great, if not try something else. I like to avoid L-Pads.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
2nd order, zobel on the woofers, L-Pad on the tweeters 3.3 kHz XO

report back when you are finished. And pictures.

dave

Attachments

• ND10-MTM-nanoXO.jpg
    ND10-MTM-nanoXO.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 211
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
One day I'm going to be able to know exactly what that all means, but right now, you might as well be speaking in french. all I understood was 3.3khz crossover, lol.

I suppose I should read up on what all those orders mean.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th orders are crossover slopes, 6dB per octave, per order. So a 4th order is 24dB per octave.

A ZOBEL is an impedance compensation network. Typically a drivers impedance rises with increasing frequency due to voice coil inductance, so a ZOBEL makes the circuit appear resistive instead of reactive.

An L-pad is two resistors in the shape of an "L" used to attenuate (lower the volume). Most often used on a tweeter. You could attenuate with only one resistor, but the second resistor holds the circuit impedance down to a desired level.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th orders are crossover slopes, 6dB per octave, per order. So a 4th order is 24dB per octave.

A ZOBEL is an impedance compensation network. Typically a drivers impedance rises with increasing frequency due to voice coil inductance, so a ZOBEL makes the circuit appear resistive instead of reactive.

An L-pad is two resistors in the shape of an "L" used to attenuate (lower the volume). Most often used on a tweeter. You could attenuate with only one resistor, but the second resistor holds the circuit impedance down to a desired level.

Thanks for the explanations. I'm having quite a bit of fun learning about all of this.

Xtreme - I was referring to all ideas leading you to a proven design and examples set forth as well as suggested links.

Appears you're a quick study if you're absorbing all stated and have a plan.

I'd personally have preferred to see you do a proven design with HiVi or simply a true FR sans XO as Dave suggested but it appears you have a plan.

Good Luck.

You've already got the Bug. No getting rid of it now. Welcome to the Mental Illness. Weren't Drugs cheaper? Then again; maybe thats what led many of us to speaker building.

Xtreme - I was referring to all ideas leading you to a proven design and examples set forth as well as suggested links.

Appears you're a quick study if you're absorbing all stated and have a plan.

I'd personally have preferred to see you do a proven design with HiVi or simply a true FR sans XO as Dave suggested but it appears you have a plan.

Good Luck.

You've already got the Bug. No getting rid of it now. Welcome to the Mental Illness. Weren't Drugs cheaper? Then again; maybe thats what led many of us to speaker building.

I do learn and absorb information pretty quickly, and this is of great interest to me.

Regarding proven designs, I needed something with a bit more punch than the HiVi units. I'm still going to attempt something with those drivers, though I'm not sure what yet.

And yeah, the bug has bitten me pretty badly. I'm already making plans for finishing these with a piano black gloss. This will be a very interesting design.

:)

not that any of us would condone the inhalation of solder fumes or wood-dust except under medical supervision

But that's half the fun!

I have another idea to run past you guys. I'd like to mount the crossover components on a pretty gloss black board. I'd then create a cubby hole inside the back of the speakers (and increase height to compensate for the volume lost), mount the crossover inside the cubby hole, and put a sheet of acrylic over it so you could see the crossovers. Still not sure if I'm going to go through the trouble, but I think it would be neat.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Let me give you an example.

2 years ago I got my tax return and I wanted a project car. I'm a mechanic of sorts, not by profession but by hobby. My 95 Regal runs a skidpad faster than a C5 Corvette which is an amazing feat for a grocery getter. So when I wanted a project car, I didn't do what every guy does and buy an old Camaro or Mustang. No, I went out and found a 1987 Jaguar XJS V12 with an overheated engine. I swapped engines and transmissions for the first time, rebuilt the top end of that Jaguar V12 minus head gaskets, and fired it up. Everyone on my automotive forums said I was crazy when I started but nobody else there had the guts to actually attempt it.

That was pretty crazy! (And I don't mean just firing up a V12 minus head gaskets...)

I can see you constructing your own electrostatic speakers pretty soon! (You wanted tall and narrow with no crossovers, right? And hate paper cones? Perfect ESL candidate!)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I went out and found a 1987 Jaguar XJS V12 with an overheated engine. I swapped engines and transmissions for the first time, rebuilt the top end of that Jaguar V12 minus head gaskets, and fired it up. Everyone on my automotive forums said I was crazy when I started but nobody else there had the guts to actually attempt it.

You'd get along fine here. There are 2 XJ6, an XJ12, a spare V12, and manual tranny. One of the XJ6 is gonna get the engine out of the XJ12 and the manual tranny, the other XJ6 gonna get the tranny out of the XJ12 (not me doing it thou)

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
That was pretty crazy! (And I don't mean just firing up a V12 minus head gaskets...)

I can see you constructing your own electrostatic speakers pretty soon! (You wanted tall and narrow with no crossovers, right? And hate paper cones? Perfect ESL candidate!)

Actually, that is no easy feat. Anyway take a look what one guy managed to accomplish!
Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

Great job !!!
Only 1 thing : the flares behind speaker baskets should be 45° truncated cone ,not rounded .
:)

Thanks! Unfortunately, those rounded flares were the only option for me. I am already over-budget for this build with having to buy the router bits. The trimming and roundover bits together were $38. Perhaps when I build a set for myself I might be able to pick up a 45 degree bit, but at this point its not an option for me. I imagine the roundover should work still work fairly well though. The roundovers are actually 1/8" recessed into the board as well.

Just use a file. You can get a flatter cone that way. But I'm sure it will be alright anyway of you sealed them up.
VERY nice job overall! How are you going to finish them?

I may give the file a try, but at this point I have so much work left to do and so little time to do it in.

The finish will consist of the following:

2 coats of 50/50 Titebond II wood glue and water (as a sealer and a way to make a very smooth surface), with 400 grit sanding between coats
2 coats of brushed primer with 600 grit sanding between coats
3 coats of high gloss Rustoleum Painter's Touch black
1 artistic layer of my wife's painting with white, with a very light sanding to smooth the brush marks.
3 layers of high gloss automotive clear coat enamel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.