• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SlewMaster Project Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JW,
I started another thread that any who have real knowledge are more than welcome to join. It is:

An Active loudspeaker UNIFICATION thread

One of the other posters, Overkill Audio, has proposed a basic configuration of a powered speaker system and an expanded system with external and internal electronics that I find a compelling idea. It would be nice if different powered speakers were compatible with each other. Looking at it this way has given me a better idea on how to implement this whole idea. Trying to fit everything inside the enclosure was starting to look very daunting to make it all work and fit inside, so many sub systems to integrate if was getting very difficult to see how to do it all.

I'm looking at what DSP and Dac's will be needed inside the enclosure to go with the power amps and power supply. The KISS principal is always something I think works, the opposite seems to be what some create and then all the hidden things to solve.

I looked at doing a 3D prototype of my speaker and was quoted $9,000 just to do the three major plastic housing parts, that is only one speaker enclosure and not even a pair. That was in a photo polymer material so it isn't cheap and it would still be inferior to an actual part by a long way, so any testing would be questionable. I need to find someone who can cnc machine the cavity and cores with my drawings that needs some work, that would be the preferred method to me. The other method I am considering since I can do that myself is to make a lofted pattern and then make some soft tooling to make some first article parts, I have done that before and could make perhaps a couple hundred parts that way if careful. I am going to get a second quote on the 3d printing but the parts are at the limit and above for most companies due strictly to the size of the parts. it is not nearly what most seem to believe can be done out in the wild. The cost for the process is not competitive in any way with traditional tooling and prototyping once the size goes up or the Tc is important in any way, most of these materials are questionable at best and the FDM method most hear about is just junk parts, no details and really poor dimensional tolerances.

I already did the basic development using round cones in normal cast frames with my motor design and cone material, surround material and all the adhesives. I know that end is going to work, I am also sure the enclosure will work well with the material I am going to use since I have made thousands of parts that way and used that material to make many horns for audio usage. My avatar speakers were also molded this way, it is as close what you would achieve with a wood material that you can do with a plastic material. I did all of this with the reaction injection molding technique with rigid PU foam material, a very high quality structural material, UV rated and it has the best material properties of all the rigid PU materials that I have ever worked with.

Now to find someone who is hungry enough or has the skills to machine these shapes and not having to go to a typical mold builder, I don't need that, I know enough to design the entire tooling set and just have it done. If my mill was a cnc rather than a manual mill I would do it myself.

JW,
I started another thread that any who have real knowledge are more than welcome to join. It is:

An Active loudspeaker UNIFICATION thread

One of the other posters, Overkill Audio, has proposed a basic configuration of a powered speaker system and an expanded system with external and internal electronics that I find a compelling idea. It would be nice if different powered speakers were compatible with each other. Looking at it this way has given me a better idea on how to implement this whole idea. Trying to fit everything inside the enclosure was starting to look very daunting to make it all work and fit inside, so many sub systems to integrate if was getting very difficult to see how to do it all.

I'm looking at what DSP and Dac's will be needed inside the enclosure to go with the power amps and power supply. The KISS principal is always something I think works, the opposite seems to be what some create and then all the hidden things to solve.

I looked at doing a 3D prototype of my speaker and was quoted $9,000 just to do the three major plastic housing parts, that is only one speaker enclosure and not even a pair. That was in a photo polymer material so it isn't cheap and it would still be inferior to an actual part by a long way, so any testing would be questionable. I need to find someone who can cnc machine the cavity and cores with my drawings that needs some work, that would be the preferred method to me. The other method I am considering since I can do that myself is to make a lofted pattern and then make some soft tooling to make some first article parts, I have done that before and could make perhaps a couple hundred parts that way if careful. I am going to get a second quote on the 3d printing but the parts are at the limit and above for most companies due strictly to the size of the parts. it is not nearly what most seem to believe can be done out in the wild. The cost for the process is not competitive in any way with traditional tooling and prototyping once the size goes up or the Tc is important in any way, most of these materials are questionable at best and the FDM method most hear about is just junk parts, no details and really poor dimensional tolerances.

I already did the basic development using round cones in normal cast frames with my motor design and cone material, surround material and all the adhesives. I know that end is going to work, I am also sure the enclosure will work well with the material I am going to use since I have made thousands of parts that way and used that material to make many horns for audio usage. My avatar speakers were also molded this way, it is as close what you would achieve with a wood material that you can do with a plastic material. I did all of this with the reaction injection molding technique with rigid PU foam material, a very high quality structural material, UV rated and it has the best material properties of all the rigid PU materials that I have ever worked with.

Now to find someone who is hungry enough or has the skills to machine these shapes and not having to go to a typical mold builder, I don't need that, I know enough to design the entire tooling set and just have it done. If my mill was a cnc rather than a manual mill I would do it myself.
I'm looking to upgrade to a small CNC mill for my shop but all the machines that are coming up for sale around here are going to India. I'm getting into more complex parts all the time and am loosing too much time standing at a mill.

Your application for amplifiers leave a few part/space saving options open with custom tailoring. For example, you could amalgamate the crossover and input filter of the amp. They both serve the same function. How many cubic inches have you made available inside the enclosure for electronics?

Attachments

• kypton-ND-schema.jpg
    kypton-ND-schema.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 341
I don't know how Evan feels about it but the chatter about prototype speakers and SMPS doesn't really fit in a GB thread where the goal is to get boards into the hands of interested builders. Since kindhornman already has a thread for his current endeavour mayne the conversation should be moved or continued there? I apologize if that rubs anyone the wrong way.

JW,
Those cnc mills come up all the time for auction, that is the best place to find one if you aren't looking for brand new.

I want to limit the internal electronics in size, that is one of the reasons I have mentioned using surface mount devices many times. Since I am only looking at a single pair for the tweeter and a two-pair for the bass/mid this could be fairly small as far as actual volume displacement. The Lazy Cat VSSA was tiny. Where the problem really is is the power supply. A large transformer is an issue and since I have now found some very powerful smps supplies for in-line applications that could solve the problem of having to put that inside. I think it also addresses the fact that the power supply would be outside and away from the amplifier. The question is how much power do I need to drive the two amplifiers and the dsp and dac combination that would be inside? If the total peak power is 150 watts total for both amps and the small amount of power the dsp and dac circuit would need what am I looking for in an external smps supply?

ps. I also understand that the dsp and dac woud require a lower voltage to drive them but I would think that could be done fairly simply?

The auctions up here are too well advertised. Everything worth buying goes to India. They are going to take over for China once the work force in China realizes what they should be earning. India's already taking over the textile industries. I've had the best luck finding out about equipment for sale through workers at machine shops.

I don't know how Evan feels about it but the chatter about prototype speakers and SMPS doesn't really fit in a GB thread where the goal is to get boards into the hands of interested builders. Since kindhornman already has a thread for his current endeavour mayne the conversation should be moved or continued there? I apologize if that rubs anyone the wrong way.

You're right Jason. I forgot what thread this was.

1) Terry - x2
2) kindhornman - x2
3) tjencks - x2
4) carcass - X2
5) Cambe - x2
6) Arthur - x4
7) zrxshack -x2
8) mlloyd1 - x2
9) Carl_Huff - x4
10) Jim Hamley - x2
11) mrsavage - x8
12) gaborbela - x2
13) gwrskien - x4
14) jwilhelm - x2
15) touchdown - x2
16) quan - x2

1) Terry - x2
2) kindhornman - x2
3) tjencks - x2
4) carcass - X2
5) Cambe - x2
6) Arthur - x4
7) zrxshack -x2
8) mlloyd1 - x2
9) Carl_Huff - x4
10) Jim Hamley - x2
11) mrsavage - x8
12) gaborbela - x2
13) gwrskien - x4
14) jwilhelm - x2
15) touchdown - x2
16) quan - x2
17) maxwell007 - x2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.