Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I have built countless amps that have the inductor on the boards, often in the center, and never seen any issues with it. The 5P OPS is so long the inductor is already at a great distance from the input. Adding another board to house the inductor seems like overkill to me. Some folks love to add complexity to other peoples designs, especially if they don't plan to built one themselves.

andrewT has lots of ideas, but i have yet to see him post one of his designs and layouts for us to review. not to say many of his ideas are good, but everyone is entitled to there opinion.
mo, with the inductor stay with what works however :)
it would be nice to fit the speaker relay on the o/p too. for me the less wiring the better. could even throw on the dc over voltage detect circuit as an option too, might as well, it takes almost no space at all with a 2 layer smt/th pcb.
bottom line, pcb area cost$, use it wisely.
for small signal bjt, if you use sot-23 you have tons of option, beauty is they are all the same pinout
fairchild fjv992,fjv1845
toshiba 2sa1312/2sc3324, they also come in duals too HN???? SOT-26
http://ca.mouser.com/Semiconductors...rs-BJT/_/N-ax1sh?P=1z0xz4p&Keyword=HN&FS=True

parts evolve, so should your designs
p.s this is a great thread. it would be nice for everyone to use the same layout package and we can all collaborite. it is the same as if we were sharing mcu code. hint i do have an old orcad v16 tools package with cracked codes I can share, thx to my asian friends :)

Last edited:
If you want more Pd, use a sot-223 package and up you go to dpak's as it looks you have already done.
on the speaker relay, one could add a dual footprint and have an option of a MOSFET replacement
control could optionally be done with the mcu on Valery's protection pcb design

Last edited:
If you want more Pd, use a sot-223 package and up you go to dpak's as it looks you have already done.
on the speaker relay, one could add a dual footprint and have an option of a MOSFET replacement
control could optionally be done with the mcu on Valery's protection pcb design

I've got a speaker relay/DC protection board designed to mount on the speaker binding posts. There's pictures in the protection board thread.

sure one per speaker pair is a good idea too.
i think putting another zobel(R/C) after the relay would be a better option but it really depends on what options you want to test and try out. as long as they are options and one is not stuck with only one option, go for it.

I didn't want the relay board to dictate where the binding posts went so I went individual boards.

sorry to hear but a lesson for us all. i had a few devices i wanted to order from them as spares, glad i held off, i guess i/we will have to find someone more honest to deal with.
we need a blacklisted supplier blog or thread :)
1) futurelec
2) most of china :)
3)?

I kept my first order from them small. I had a feeling they were trouble when they were at the top of every Google search. Too klunky of a website to be that popular. Had to hack their way up the list.

OS
Is the schema for the Pre/Headphone amp you published on the JC thread suitable for building adding of course regs and bypass caps?
I might etch a couple of boards for this one…

BTW, those Lehmann boards from China don’t seem to have a diamond buffer on the output but only a couple of PP transistors, could you elaborate please?

A bit out of topic I know but since this is your thread I thought is was better to talk about it here,
Thanks for the input.