Simulation Analysis of several unique Allison-based output stages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And, more pics. I should be able to hook it up now without destroying something...

- keantoken

Attachments

• AllisonPP3.jpg
    AllisonPP3.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 276
  • AllisonPP4.jpg
    AllisonPP4.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 249
Allison Sim

Keantoken,

So, I've plugged the Allison into the simulation configuration you so kindly fixed for me. I think I've implemented it correctly. Please have a look. I also added a speaker simulation for the load. The THD numbers are quite remarkable. A question for you... the voltage source at the lower left it's -1.66540v how to you come up with this value? Just trying to learn...

I hope to have a board in about prototype board of this configuration driven by an LME49811 in about two weeks... I'll keep you posted.

Ken

In real life you probably won't get such incredible numbers, I'm sure you already know this. The simulator should be understood as a determiner of "theoretical best possible performance".

First, Q4 and co are a Vbe multiplier/bias circuit that is actually made obsolete by Q8 and Q9, which perform the same function. Here is what I recommend:

1: Use a Darlington output configuration instead of CFP. It worked for me with very low power output devices, but high power ones like the 1302a and 3281a have too much Cob, added to the fact that the collector is connected to the heatsink which increases Cob. With high power devices, my experience is that the CFP Allison is unstable (I tested it with the 1302a/3281a personally and it didn't work out, maybe with faster japanese devices). In my simulations distortion and general performance was not affected by this change.

2: The 2SD669/649 are good I think but they are obsolete and hard to get. I recommend you use the 2SC4793/A1837 (I provided you these models in the other thread). Or you can use the MJE150xx drivers more commonly used for the 1302A/3281A output pair.

3: Just to be clear, the schematic is how the LME49811 should be connected. You shouldn't use a bias device like a Vbe multiplier with the Allison because the Allison is self-biasing (your LME49811 model doesn't give the device justice in this situation because the Allison doesn't need a Vbe multiplier).

the voltage source at the lower left it's -1.66540v how to you come up with this value? Just trying to learn

I tweaked this value to get the offset down. This voltage source corrects for the offset of the whole output stage.

We must live some ways away from each other, it seems we post in alternating day/night cycles.

- keantoken

Attachments

• LME49811_Allison.PNG
    LME49811_Allison.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 180
Strange, Allison as a sliding bias only. I thought the emitter connection
in the center was somehow an integral part of the magic? Perhaps not...

Ah, but this one is not a rigid follower of the emitter, and needs a feedback
loop. No big deal if you were planning to have one anyway, but somewhat
less local than the emitter coupled version I'm more familiar with.

The emitter coupled version works the best (by far if you can't provide balanced signals to the complimentary sides), but this one integrates with the LME49811 more smoothly. We could fix it up to drive the "normal" way, but that would require 4 more transistors and 4 diodes.

I have no reason to believe that this way will have problems, but it depends on how "balanced" the outputs of the LME4980 are. I think we will just have to see. There could be problems if the chip tries to bias adjust the Allison in some way, but I don't expect that either since the datasheet schematic shows an external Vbe multipler.

- keantoken

In real life you probably won't get such incredible numbers, I'm sure you already know this. The simulator should be understood as a determiner of "theoretical best possible performance".

First, Q4 and co are a Vbe multiplier/bias circuit that is actually made obsolete by Q8 and Q9, which perform the same function. Here is what I recommend:

1: Use a Darlington output configuration instead of CFP. It worked for me with very low power output devices, but high power ones like the 1302a and 3281a have too much Cob, added to the fact that the collector is connected to the heatsink which increases Cob. With high power devices, my experience is that the CFP Allison is unstable (I tested it with the 1302a/3281a personally and it didn't work out, maybe with faster japanese devices). In my simulations distortion and general performance was not affected by this change.Ok, I'll give this a try.

2: The 2SD669/649 are good I think but they are obsolete and hard to get. I recommend you use the 2SC4793/A1837 (I provided you these models in the other thread). Or you can use the MJE150xx drivers more commonly used for the 1302A/3281A output pair.To be clear, can Q1,Q4,Q5,Q6 be the 2sc4793/A1837 pairs - correct polarity of coarse?

3: Just to be clear, the schematic is how the LME49811 should be connected. You shouldn't use a bias device like a Vbe multiplier with the Allison because the Allison is self-biasing (your LME49811 model doesn't give the device justice in this situation because the Allison doesn't need a Vbe multiplier).So, how does temperature compensation work? Should Q5 and Q6 be on the main heat sink? If I use Thermal Trak devices, is there a way to utilize the internal diodes? What was good about the bais scheme is that the temp compensation slope is adjustable, I can ultimately tune it to optimal compensation.

I tweaked this value to get the offset down. This voltage source corrects for the offset of the whole output stage.

We must live some ways away from each other, it seems we post in alternating day/night cycles.I'm in Southern Calif. I get up early an work on this stuff while having breakfast before going to work. Sometimes, like now, I check in on the emails from work.

- keantoken

2: Yes, but to use those big devices for Q5/6 would be a waste of money. The 4124/4126 are actually quite excellent in this position (because they are very fast), they are my favorites next to the 2N5771/5769. But you have to make sure that they are within their limits current-wise. They should be fine with the LME49811

3: The Allison doesn't need external temperature compensation. The bias current is set solely by the Vbe of Q5 and Q6. If these transistors get hot, the bias current will go down. They can be mounted far away from the heatsink because there is no danger of thermal runaway. It's not practical to use the temp-NFB affect here either because you'd simply begin overdriving Q5/Q6 when the bias went down, which may damage them.

Thermal-Trak - interesting you mentioned this. We can't use these for temperature compensation, but we can use them to set the Allison up for emitter drive, as in the schematic. Although it could be a waste of money since we could simply use normal diodes here.

- keantoken

Attachments

• LME49811_Allison_Emitter.PNG
    LME49811_Allison_Emitter.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 158
Note:

I don't even know if the diodes are necessary. Maybe someone else knows if we can connect the upper and lower outputs directly together without damaging the chip?

EDIT: Okay, page 10 of the datasheet proves it. The diodes aren't necessary.

- keantoken

Last edited:
Note:

I don't even know if the diodes are necessary. Maybe someone else knows if we can connect the upper and lower outputs directly together without damaging the chip?

EDIT: Okay, page 10 of the datasheet proves it. The diodes aren't necessary.

- keantoken

so, do you prefer one configuration (the first schematic vs the second in this discussion) over the other?

2: Yes, but to use those big devices for Q5/6 would be a waste of money. The 4124/4126 are actually quite excellent in this position (because they are very fast), they are my favorites next to the 2N5771/5769. But you have to make sure that they are within their limits current-wise. They should be fine with the LME49811I need higher voltage devices min. 50v preferably 80 to 100v any thoughts?

3: The Allison doesn't need external temperature compensation. The bias current is set solely by the Vbe of Q5 and Q6. If these transistors get hot, the bias current will go down. They can be mounted far away from the heatsink because there is no danger of thermal runaway. It's not practical to use the temp-NFB affect here either because you'd simply begin overdriving Q5/Q6 when the bias went down, which may damage them.

Thermal-Trak - interesting you mentioned this. We can't use these for temperature compensation, but we can use them to set the Allison up for emitter drive, as in the schematic. Although it could be a waste of money since we could simply use normal diodes here.

- keantoken

Japanese transistors would be perfect, but let me explain why they are still not necessary:

If you look at Q1, Q2 and Q5, you see that Q5 will, at all times, only have at max 1.5V across it, which is require to bias the darlington outputs into operation. The same is true for Q6. These transistors never have to endure a large voltage swing, and actually have relatively low dissipation because of the low Vce.

I don't see it as necessary, but I would recommend the 2SC3423/A1360 pair as they have very low Cjo. I don't think it would improve performance significantly but you are welcome to see for yourself.

If I were to choose one schematic over the other I would choose the one I posted in post 270, since this method has worked in real life and is proven in simulation to work better than the earlier schematic. The performance question here is whether the two outputs of the LME49811 are equal, as we want to avoid common-mode signals through Q5 and Q6. The second schematic is more likely to work properly and predictably.

- keantoken

Keantoken,

Well, it worked at least for a while. I think I somehow cooked the LME49811... It lived long enough to pump out a decent sine wave and play a little music. I didn't even think to ask, but, it seems to be a Class A bais scheme as it gets quite hot at idle, is this correct? The other configurations I' ve been working with are Class A/B. I have been running all these configurations on a heavy piece of aluminum plate that barely gets warm. With the allison configuration, it got down right hot, probably 160/180 deg F.

Ken

I recall someone (maybe it was Pass?) posting something about a pair of offset
chip amps in an Allison like arrangement. The name Allison never came up in the
description, but the topology appeared similar...

Anyways, both chip amps are tricked to operate in Class A. As only half of the
totem in each gets cooked, I don't pretend to know the thermal implications???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.