Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi All

Phono assembled
I realize that I have low AC Voltage at home (216-220) so low AC out (~34.8AC) and low DC raw output

One channel seems alright but not sure
DC Raw 45-46
Rail + 34,3V Max out, 33.140V for TP1-TP2=3.60V, VR1x=1.582V ~ 105ma CCS
R3x=6k2 Q3x, Q5x ~ 5mA

The others seems to have a little problem

DC Raw 45-46
Rail + 26.8 - 28,9V Max out, TP1-TP2=7.68V, VR1x=1.61V ~ 107.3ma CCS
R3x=6k2 Q3x, Q5x ~ 5mA

what should I look for?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1. No because you have more than 10V vin-vout already which is good enough and the CCS sink heat will be alright also.
2. Its normal in MC builds due to the K369s thermal behavior when there isn't high Rs to provide much local feedback like in MM builds. That thermal sensitivity will be much more evident in TP voltage shift if you will blow air over them. You can try enclose them in a a mini box of thick paper with foam in it so they will be in a steadier temperature local environment.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas
I have been using the phono pre for a couple of years now with great results. The only issue I have is that the output is a bit low at 42db and a bit high at 57db. Can I wire this to hit a mid point, say 50db?
John

There can be some adjustment of resistor values to recommend for your intermediate target gain. But first I need to know your cartridge model and the IDSS of the K369 you have installed.

Has not to do with rail voltage, its just the total VF of your four LEDS. The ones I used in my prototype where kinda strong generics. Its not a problem.

I build a small circuit on a pre-board that is part of the bias of the phono circuit as shown in the photo below to adjust the correct bias Voltage (7.75V) before installation. I did apply 35-36V on top and I replace the Fet so I can take exactly 7.75V. Now with lower Rail (~33V) IDSS is lower so the VF from leds (a little lower but at the lower end of 1%, as required)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I build a small circuit on a pre-board that is part of the bias of the phono circuit as shown in the photo below to adjust the correct bias Voltage (7.75V) before installation. I did apply 35-36V on top and I replace the Fet so I can take exactly 7.75V. Now with lower Rail (~33V) IDSS is lower so the VF from leds (a little lower but at the lower end of 1%, as required)

The big filter capacitor across the LEDS was missing in that test.